Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigred_gw

Hub's in the hospital

bigred
15 years ago

Put my hub's in the hospital Monday am. He's a diabetic,smashed his toe back in early Nov. Infection set in and turned to gangrene so he has to have surgery(amputation). Dr. are still giving him LOTS of antibotic IV drips ,trying to get infection out of the rest of his foot and still running test to see if just the toe needs to go or if they will have to take part of the foot behind the toe.

If your diabetic. DO NOT ignore injuries to your feet and legs. Even a hangnial or ingrown toe nail can become infected and you certainly don't want to ignore and injury such as a smashed toe.

Peggy

Comments (25)

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Peggy, I'm so sorry to hear about your stubborn man! They can be the most infuriating creatures! Which toe was it ? I have three boys and I'm always telling them "your life will go so much easier if you follow one simple rule, Do what the woman says!"
    I meant no disrespect with the above comment(either of them!)
    I pray that God gives you courage and comfort during this time. Please keep us updated!
    -B

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

I'm sorry to read of your husbands diabetic complications. Hopefully they will not have to amputate further than the toe. Sending prayers and concern and hugs to you and your husband.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear of your hubby's plight. I hope his surgery is minimal and am sending prayers and good thoughts for a quick and complete recovery.

I know being diabetic and seeing to one's health and diet requires a lot of attention from what I have seen of friends who have it.

Take care.

Sue

• bigred
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Surgeon was in yesterday.They'll do one more test to see if he has any infection in the bone then off to surgery at 10 or 11 am. Barring any serious bone infection,surgeon is confident that he'll only loose half his left big toe.....so Keep those warm fuzzy feelings going for us today for no bone infection.

Peggy

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

crossing my fingers-and praying!

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Good Luck Peggy! My mom is diabetic and she's so stubborn about following the rules. She went 40 years without seeing a dr. The dr told both mom and dad they were getting a flu shot. My dad started to say they didnt want it and the Dr said YOU ARE BOTH GETTING A FLU SHOT gotta love a dr who doesnt take any crap!!! BTW, they both GOT the flu shot.

• bigred
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Operation was at 10 am. yesterday. Everything went great. Only had to amputate the big toe. Surgeon said circulation in his foot was excellent and he should heal just fine with no complication.I'll be bringing him home today.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.

Peggy

15 years ago

That's great Peggy! Thanks for the update.

Sue

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Peggy - I just found this post and glad to hear your hubby is doing better. What a scary thing to go through for both of you. Hope he continues to heal well. God bless : )

• bigred
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brought hub's home yesterday.They gave him some pretty strong pain pills but they take 20-30 min. to kick in so we spent a pretty bad night last night up until 3:30am or so. He finally got to sleep and just now woke up and is pretty pain free at the moment.

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I'm glad he is at home and all went well. Diabetis is a monster. You are in my prayers. Nikki

• irishdescended
    15 years ago

Peggy,
    I just seen your post. We got hit by that bad ice storm here in northern arkansas and I just got power back on. Have been without power since tuesday! Yes make sure your hubby takes care of himself!!!! I lost a grandfather and mother to complications of diabetes!!! All because they ignored the fact they had the disease. They check me every once in a while to see if I have diabetes because it runs so heavy in my family. They say it was a excellent sign that I didnt have it while I was pregnant. We also suspect my g-grandpa had it. Of course that was back in the day when they didnt know much about it. But my mom would remember my g-grandpa putting pieces of tore up bread in buttermilk. Then he would pour the sugar on heavily. She said he ate that at least twice a day. So yes nikki is right. Diabetis is a monster that has to be kept in check..... You are both in my thoughts, Darla.

• SusanC
    15 years ago

Peggy; sorry to hear he had a painful night. Hopefully, the pain will ease over the next few days. You remain in my prayers. Susan

• bigred
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shurm had a good day yesterday. Only one pain pill during the day and one during the night. Dr. told him he could walk short distances starting yesterday but I think he may have over done it and had that bit of pain during the night.He can start moving about more today and get in the tub. He goes back Wed. to have stitches and drain removed.

So...all in all,we're doing good but he's loving the "maid/waitress" service just a little too much....LOL

15 years ago

So...all in all,we're doing good but he's loving the "maid/waitress" service just a little too much....LOL

A sure sign he is feeling better. Before you know it, he'll be starting to get ornery (if ya know what I mean) with the help. Think?

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Sue

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Hi Peggy! So glad to hear he is on the mend! I posted,or at least I thought I did when you first posted this thread! Who knows what happened! Anyway,I hope he improves everyday,it is so nice he has top of the line wait staff!...lol..Take care of your self too lady! Hugs!:)
    ~Angie

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

I'm pre-diabetes 2 and watch that darn thing like a hawk. We have a beloved floor clerk who is in his 60s and had a portion of his foot removed from the big D several years ago. He's doing fine. Cranky as hell, but found a girlfriend at dialysis and they are moved in together - so sweet.

Best wishes for you and hubs.

15 years ago

Peggy,

Do you have an update for us? How are you holding up? Sure hope all is well for you both.

Sue

• bigred
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We went yesterday to get stitches and drain taken out. We hated that darn drain. It was like he had a dead animal attached to his foot dragging it around and we couldn't tie or tape it up anyway without stopping it from draining so it was good to get rid of it. It took the Dr. less than 5 minutes to cut the stitches loose and jerk it out...OUCH! but he has to go back next week to get stitches out because being diabetic,he is healing good but slow. Dr. says everything is looking good but if the stitches don't look ready to come out next Wed.,he may have to put him back in hospital for treatmnets in hyperbaric chamber and knowing my Hub's he better plan on doing one of two things: keep him in a drug induced coma...LOL...cause he won't stand for being in hospital two whole weeks or treat him as outpatient.

15 years ago

Thanks for the update.

It was like he had a dead animal attached to his foot dragging it around
    LMAO! I'm sure you are both glad to be rid of that stupid dead animal.

Sending prayers that all continues to go well and that the further treatments are not necessary.

Sue

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Glad to hear of the healing, though it is slow. Sending my prayers as well for continued healing. My sister has had treatmnets in a hyperbaric chamber which have been very helpful.

Bobbie

• bigred
    Original Author
    15 years ago

His toe...or lack of toe.... looked much better last night when I changed the bandage so maybe by next Wed. the stitches can come out and no other treatent will be needed.

• west_texas_peg
    15 years ago

Peggy,
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and hubby. My husband is diabetic (inherited from both parents) so I understand what you are dealing with. His mother would not listen to the doctor and ate what she wanted unless it was the day before her bloodwork then she starved herself. She ended up losing her left leg just below the knee. One of my friends is diabetic and required sessions in the hyperbaric chamber after hip surgery.

Many hugs and best wishes!
    Peggy

• bigred
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well,I hope he doesn't need to do the treatments. He's going to be awfully muley if the Dr. tells him he needs too.

• graanieb
    15 years ago

Peggy, hope and pray your husband keeps taking good care of himself, I believe now he will having had a scare and with you around. Must've been difficult but thankfully he didn't have to lose more than his toe, take care.
    GB Bea