Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heatherbon_gw

Page design questions

heatherbon
15 years ago

I was wanting to know how you design your member and trade pages. I love when i click on a member link and this beautiful background appears. Is this similar to myspace layouts. Also posting in color and bold. Thank you in advance

Comments (15)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Check out How do I use HTML Code to change fonts and insert stuff in posts?
    The same HTML is used for posting to one's member page, or one's Trade Page.

See also How many want photos included in trade page?
    and
    posting pics on your seed trade list
    and
    how to upload photo's
    and
    Profiles/ Tradelists

Please keep in mind that often fancy backgrounds make pages very hard to read, as do different colored fonts or backgrounds...just like yellowcolor>
    Backgrounds and pics will often make pages slow to load for our dial up friends. If a page or list of hard to read, I often just scroll on by, as I'm sure a lot of others do too.
    I'm not here for 'pretty' but instead here to trade and share.

I chose to use links to pics, and a little color and bold on my Trade Page.

Will post more later, and hopefully others will have more to add here too.

Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â

• token28001
    15 years ago

In the late 90s, a study was done that determined people would expect to wait only 8 seconds for a page to load. I'm sure we've cut that down to about 2 seconds today.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Ok...I have never seen this on a Member Page, and know no one would use it, but here is an example of a pretty annoying background.

Sue...LMAO

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

I'm so glad heatherbon asked this question because I've been to shy to ask it myself! I'm not computer savvy and I see how so many gardeners write in color or place a really cute animation or picture with their post. Always wondered how they did that! I guess now I can play around with it a little myself. Thanks Sue for the info. I saved it on my favorites.

Cindy : )

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Thanks Teacher Sue! Great thread.....Yippee yahoo this will keep us busy for a while...LOL Barb

• heatherbon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got my page all updated and PRETTY I like it what do you think? Sue are you able to load/read it ok?

~heather

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

heather,

I don't know about Sue or anyone else but I found your page to be very, very difficult to read.

Problems are too much photo print of blue and butterflies. List on the left hand side of the page instead of in the middle and the print was in blue.

Blue print on blue background is difficult to read. Same would for green print on green background or any other combination of the same color print on the same color background.

My personal preference is white background with black print, no fancy background or photos on the page, just links to photos.

Also, I wish people would not use any kind of flashing photos on their pages as well.
    Flashing photos and flashing anything can be a health risk to many people. Those that suffer with seizure disorders can not look at a page like that because it can trigger seizures within seconds to minutes of looking at the flashing pics on a page.
    They can also trigger migraines as well.

Fran

• dorisl
    15 years ago

I do appreciate the fun of creating pretty pages. I did some online webdesign classes and played with graphic programs and its a ton of fun.

However like Fran, Ive also vision issues.

Black and white is outta site! I guess we're party poopers, eh?

• luvsgrtdanes
    15 years ago

I'll join in the "party pooper" club!! LOL!! Heather I think you did a great job on your page, and I know it can be a lot of work, but I too like the plain pages. Much easier on the eyes and brain. Too much color and movement distracts me at times.

• heatherbon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really like my page. I know I asked but i am very sorry i did. Thanks for your input.

• luvsgrtdanes
    15 years ago

I like your page too Heather, I was just saying as a general opinion that I personally prefer plain pages. I don't think anyone meant to hurt your feelings...âº

• dorisl
    15 years ago

heather, its nothing personal at all, its just that when you get older ..... and hafta get bifocals........ you just.... become a party pooper.

I gave up learning web design becasue I was really frustrated with the limitations of all the fancy stuff. People on dial up get bogged down in the animations and the cute cursors and java stuff and other things and it seemed everybody had some kind of reason to not like this or that or the other thing (specially music, ya wanna get people going just add sounds to your page!!), and they werent being mean or anything, just telling it like it is.

What if you left the pretty background, but changed the table black a white and a bit wider?

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Heather,
    I think you designed a very pretty page. Glad you went with the larger letters. I really don't have any problem with it.
    I have to agree with the others above in regards to the flashing icons, wall paper, neon backgrounds or dark backgrounds and neon lettering... wow, that hurts my eyes like crazy and I don't even bother looking at their lists. Loud music is also something I find real annoying.
    Not a total party pooper here... but getting there. lol
    Cindy : )

• terrene
    15 years ago

I too find the flashing avatars, signature lines, animations, and heavy graphics distracting and too "busy". Graphics and photos can be VERY nice, but should be posted with some discretion. Some people post 3 or 4 photos of basically the same thing, which clogs up threads and makes them slow to load.

I don't even need bifocals yet, but sometimes find the color choices on websites and blogs very difficult to read - dark colors like a deep blue or green text on a BLACK background!! This is way too much work to read and I will quickly click away.

Fran (littleonefb), I really like the setup of your exchange page with the links to the photos - helps people see where the seeds came from!

• thepodpiper
    15 years ago

Plain and simple black on white is best. And less is more when it comes to text issues. If it is to busy with unneeded wording I don't even look. Just my preference.And I'm not that old, LOL. Heather, your page is very pretty.

Dale

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!