Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Remembering Spring-share your pics please!

I refer this to my golden forsythia having a bad hair day. When I first moved it, it was butchered back to about 2 1/2'tall so it could best be handled. I then planted things around it, and have needed to move them since they are all now growing 'under' the arching branches.

I hope the pic (file size) is small for our dial-up members. The thumbnail pics should be clickable for a bigger pic.

{{gwi:12966}}

{{gwi:18870}}

Below is a lovely heirloom daffodil that I have not been able to get a positive ID on yet. I love it all the same though. I got it from an old house site that has since been cleaned up and converted to a field and planted yearly in crops.

{{gwi:10767}}

Would you share some Spring pics with us please?

Sue...who has about 12" of fresh snow and ice

Comments (8)

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Hi Sue! I tried wintersowing some of those Iris seeds you shared with me. Keeping my fingers crossed. I held back a few seeds just in case. What did you decide to do with yours?

Here's a few from the spring and summer. Looking through my pics made me realize how much the gardens changed throughout the summer. I didn't take pics of everything "filled in".

{{gwi:27059}}

{{gwi:27060}}

{{gwi:27061}}

Looking forward to seeing everyone's pics! Nikki

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Nikki,

I haven't sowed anything yet. Just call me the procrastinator after having to clean house for company and then a brief vacation.

Great pics. Looks like the tulips have pretty wet feet. Are they near a creek or just an area after a lot of heavy precipitation. They seem quite happy. Do they return each year, or was that their first year. So few it seems return faithfully year after year.

Is that eucalyptus in the second pic? An annual? Very cool looking.

Roses (what kind?) and what else is in the last pic?

Thanks for sharing.

Sue

I'm wondering why the first pic was so big...I see the file size (right click on pic, and then choose properties to see the file size) is 391KB...pretty big for those still on dial-up.

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

So sorry the first pic was so big. I thought I had resized them for sharing. The tulips are first year. Don't have a lot of hope that they will return. The Eucalyptus in the second pic is still going strong - even through all these frosts. I really didn't think the color would stay so pretty throughout the winter. The roses in the last pic are knockouts - I know I'm a sissy rose grower. I'm going to be bold and try some "real" roses soon. Also in the third pic screaming at you up from the front - crepe myrtle - cherry dazzle from the razzle dazzle series. They really were nice for their short blooming season. I will probably move them back to the lower part of the yard. The color will draw the eye further back and they are pretty boring until July. Lavender is in the middle. My first success with lavender. Moving the crepes will also provide more room for it. Lavender is my favorite and now that I've found a spot in the garden that makes it happy, I wand to try some other varieties. Behind the lavender (barely visible) I have wormwood. I love the foliage with the roses.

Your golden forsythia is amazing! One day, I'd love to trade you for a cutting or two:)
    Thanks for looking! Nikki

Original Author
    15 years ago

The Eucalyptus in the second pic is still going strong - even through all these frosts.
    So is it a perennial for you, or is it maybe in its first winter. I was just reading some about some hardier varieties that are tolerate of temps down to 10 degrees or so.

I know I'm a sissy rose grower. I'm going to be bold and try some "real" roses soon.
    I don't think of Knock Outs as being for sissy rose growers...lol. Maybe you need to lighten up on yourself.

Also in the third pic screaming at you up from the front - crepe myrtle - cherry dazzle from the razzle dazzle series.
    Boy those are so cute. I was reading about those today too, and see they would not be hardy here.

I'm a lavender lover too. It is often hit or miss here though as to whether or not it will return. I 'might' have cuttings to some in the spring once I see what has survived if you might be interested.

Your golden forsythia is amazing! One day, I'd love to trade you for a cutting or two:)
    Chances are there are numerous ones out there that are rooted when they touched down to the ground...maybe even branched some by now. Would gladly send some if/when you are interested. I also have a dwarf forsythia that only gets about 3'tall, but spreads sideways. It does not bloom so well in the spring, but I like the narrow leaf foliage and the fall color really well. Cuttings are available on that one.

Here is my no name crepe myrtle. It only gets about 8' tall by 8' wide. This year it bloomed, and the blooms faded and then there was a second flush of blooms. I had never had it do a double bloom like that before.

{{gwi:27062}}

Sue

• scottrell
    15 years ago

I am loving the pictures of the tulips and daffodils! I can no longer grow them since I move to a new zone. Eucalyptis has been on my wish list for a while now, I love the smell. Sue, your golden forsythia is fabulous! I think I felt my heart tug when I saw it! Here are some of mine.
    Lady Margarett passion vine
    {{gwi:27064}}
    Giant swallowtail on coneflower
    {{gwi:27066}}
    Chelsea sniffing popcorn cassia
    {{gwi:27068}}

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Uh oh, those came out really big, sorry. Maybe there should be a forum on how to post pics and post them properly.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Great pics scott! The butterflies love the cassia too, don't they?

Uh oh, those came out really big, sorry. Maybe there should be a forum on how to post pics and post them properly.
    The first 2 are 67 KB and 77 KB, which is not too bad. The 3rd is 425 KB...YIKES!

What line did you use to copy and paste from under the pic at photo-bucket? I used the HTML Thumb found below the pic.

There is a lot of info out there (and even here at GW) but when it comes to resizing pics, that is where it gets pretty complicated, and hairy, or at least it seems that way to me.

Here is an existing thread about posting pics, but I did not mention use of the clickable thumbnail. Posting pics dumbed down The subject line was a not so private joke with a member.

Or, just stop by The Test Forum Gallery There are some great 'regulars' there who readily offer help with posting or resizing.

Sue

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Trying to figure out how to post a slide show.

Here is a link that might be useful: A short spring slide show.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville