Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know what type of seed is used for Chia Pet?

Posted by agirlsgirl 5-6 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 08 at 16:27

Hi,I know this is probably an odd question,but through all of my searches,I cannot find out what kind of seed they give you with a Chia Pet kit! My son has asked me repeatedly,he thinks they are clovers...lol..he is 6...anyway he has me curious now too! Anybody have any idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know what type of seed is used for Chia Pet?

Angie I always thought they would be grass seeds but this is what I found....

Here is a link that might be useful: Chia Pet seeds

o

Thanks so much Ronnie,I never thought to look in wikipedia! I can finally answer the question that has been asked about 172 times since we slapped the seeds on!..funny thing I have some Aztec in my bloodline,my grandfather was Aztec Indian 100%...lol...and apparently these were food source some of my ancestors depended on!Thanks again Ronnie!BIG HUGS!

o

Your welcome!!!

o

Now this got me! I was curious once agirlsgirl asked & wondered "just WHAT IS that?" LOL!
So I looked up that link from Ronnie17 & started going from there - well after 3-4 hours of looking up different search links on it, I will be trying the white chia seed myself for the health benefits. Some of the meds my DH & I take don't lower bio numbers as much as their research showed the engineered chia does. Rather munch a plant than take pills anyhow.
Plan to try growing it too, at least enough for salad sprouts etc.
Thanks for posting - both the question & answer!!

o

At first I was a little hesitant to post the question...but I am glad I did! :)

o

Salvia hispanica

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia

o

You can eat the chia seeds, they are sooo healthy! :)

o

There was recently a segment on the Today show or one of those morning shows about the health benefits of the chia seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here