Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agirlsgirl

Anyone know what type of seed is used for Chia Pet?

agirlsgirl
16 years ago

Hi,I know this is probably an odd question,but through all of my searches,I cannot find out what kind of seed they give you with a Chia Pet kit! My son has asked me repeatedly,he thinks they are clovers...lol..he is 6...anyway he has me curious now too! Anybody have any idea?

Comments (9)

• luvsgrtdanes
    16 years ago

Angie I always thought they would be grass seeds but this is what I found....

Here is a link that might be useful: Chia Pet seeds

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much Ronnie,I never thought to look in wikipedia! I can finally answer the question that has been asked about 172 times since we slapped the seeds on!..funny thing I have some Aztec in my bloodline,my grandfather was Aztec Indian 100%...lol...and apparently these were food source some of my ancestors depended on!Thanks again Ronnie!BIG HUGS!

• luvsgrtdanes
    16 years ago

Your welcome!!!

• dizzydaffodil
    16 years ago

Now this got me! I was curious once agirlsgirl asked & wondered "just WHAT IS that?" LOL!
    So I looked up that link from Ronnie17 & started going from there - well after 3-4 hours of looking up different search links on it, I will be trying the white chia seed myself for the health benefits. Some of the meds my DH & I take don't lower bio numbers as much as their research showed the engineered chia does. Rather munch a plant than take pills anyhow.
    Plan to try growing it too, at least enough for salad sprouts etc.
    Thanks for posting - both the question & answer!!

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

At first I was a little hesitant to post the question...but I am glad I did! :)

• mrweickert
    12 years ago

Salvia hispanica

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia

• medontdo
    12 years ago

You can eat the chia seeds, they are sooo healthy! :)

• karyn1
    11 years ago

There was recently a segment on the Today show or one of those morning shows about the health benefits of the chia seeds.

• Roberta Maria Vieira
    8 years ago

Its CHIA!!!