Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agirlsgirl

Newbie question and answer thread!:)

agirlsgirl
16 years ago

Hi,I figured it would be nice to start a thread where newbies could ask questions and the rest of us can try to answer them for them!No question is stupid,so go ahead ask!:)

Comments (71)

• mommicked
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

THank you agirlsgirl and remy. I am beginning to understand things a little more now. One more quick question. Does this also work in reverse to find out the Latin name? For example if someone is requesting seeds for a morning glory tree, can I google that and get the Latin name for it? Thanks I can't wait to see what I learn from each of you each time I read this section
    Susan

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

harmonybear and others, the trade lists are messed up right now, so please dont spend a lot of time working on them, it wont help....

if you sit and type in all of you wants and haves, it wont save anything...it is a glitch in the system and I would hate for someone to spend all the time typing to have it not save the information !!

Angie, I am glad to see this thread, wish there had been one when I was a newbie...LOL

• love2gardennc
    16 years ago

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the FAQ page. These are at the top of every forum page and answer many questions that Newbies might need or want to know. They are also different from forum to forum. I wrote the FAQ's for the Round Robin Exchange page and in that one there is a link to my email (at the bottom of each answered question) if additional questions need answers. I believe that the Winter Sowing FAQ page also links to Trudi_D who was the driving force behind Winter sowing. Here is a link to the seed trading FAQ

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ

• love2gardennc
    16 years ago

To find the botanical name, I GOOGLE (any search engine works the same) in parenthesis such as;
    "morning glory" and then the words 'botanical name'.
    So it looks like this:

"bush Morning Glory" botanical name

To find out how to germinate or sow seeds do the same as above replacing the words 'botanical name' with either 'germinate' or 'sow' or both 'germinate sow', ie

"marigold" germinate sow

Here is a link that might be useful: bush Morning Glory

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Angie...Deputy rbb

Hello from chemocurl Sue...rbb, on vacation.

What a great thread! My minutes are about run out here...so will ttyl

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Sue!
    Hope you are having a good time! Cant wait for your return!:)

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Susan/mommicked,
    You're welcome : )
    What lovetogardennc described does work, but check for different Latin names. With the Bush Morning Glory example, there are various plants that show up on the google search because it is a common name for a few different varieties. In that case, hopefully with the seeds you acquire you have a description of the plant to narrow down exactly what you have. Or if you have it narrowed down to a few varieties, trying to google images of seeds can help figure out exactly what you have.
    Also, I forgot to mention, when you use Latin in a google search, you help cut down on the useless links tremendously. Many common plant names show up in links that have nothing to do with the actual plants.
    Remy

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the great tips on the search love2garden!It has been a major help to me! I am not going through so many useless links! ~Angie

• intheforest
    16 years ago

I just posted this in my group swap (round robin forum) to answer a question and thought I'd add it here too. It really helped me in the beginning-I may have gotten it from a group swap years ago by godsgarden??? If so, thanks to him.

I think the teaspoon rule went something like:
    1/8 tsp - teeny, 1/4 tsp - tiny, 1/2 tsp - small, 1 tsp.- medium, 2 dozen - med/large seed.
    Normally minimum for a fair trade is 2 dozen or more unless really big seed or very rare(where I've seen 3, 6, 12 etc.)

Hope this helps
    Abbey

Ps. newbies are welcome to join the Seed addicts swap too(round robin forum). Deadline is Feb. 20th.

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Abbey,that was very nice of you to share!:)

• love2gardennc
    16 years ago

I don't do a lot of seed trading anymore but I always thought the idea of sending an 1/8 or a 1/4 of a teaspoon of small seeds rather ridiculous. Some seeds may be hard to come by whether they are large or small. Several of my heuchera and penstemon plants only give me a pod or two in a season and it would take years to get even an 1/8 of a teaspoon. Also, unless you are growing a field of something why would you want or need more than a couple of dozen. I prefer to go by this quote from the FAQS
    """How many seeds are considered a 'fair' trade?
    A fair trade is whatever you and the other trader agree to. Generally, two to three dozen seeds should be enough to ensure germination and growth of a satisfying number of plants. However, the most certain way to assure both parties will be satisfied is to discuss quantities when negotiating the trade."""

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garden Exchange FAQ Page

• intheforest
    16 years ago

Love2garden, good point.

I think it is good to include "hard to collect" seed as "rare or special" such as your heuchera which I agree takes a long time to add up even a teaspoon. I did mentioned, "2 dozen or more" is normally considered fair unless very rare or large and is the main standard I follow.

Many seeds though are great to use the 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 tsp meathod because you can collect a lot easily of many species like hollyhocks, poppies, or foxglove and the really tiny seeds are often easier to just "get out a spoon" rather than count 24-36 seeds such as poppy seed. (Another bigger example might be a teaspoon full of hollyhocks.)

Newbies- every one of these posts offer great examples of how people do things, eventually you will find the meathod that makes sense to you and the differences between even different species is fun to learn. When I have a question I soak up as much knowledge as I can, and here is a great place to take it all in.

These different methods and advice also will help if you do ever try a round robin or a group swap where there is no direct trade between 2 individuals or communication.

PS- For my group swap on the Round Robin forum, someone mentioned that newbies might be scared off by minimum seed standards, I mentioned yesterday (over there) that for it "There is no minimun seed limit as far as I am concerned" and newbies WITHOUT trades can still join, too, by just sending a sasbe.

Happy trading
    Abbey

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Hmm..after reading through all of these, I have a feeling this is going to sound kind of dumb, but since the Special Instructions link is down,I'm not sure how to go about doing an SASBE offer. Are the stamps required above the ones needed for them to mail the seeds to me? Or is the requirements the stamps that will be needed to get it back to me? Should I put the address label and stamps inside because they are going to use the same envelope to mail it back to me? Or should I affix those items to the mailer and put it all inside another envelope to save the kindly offerer's time and work?

Sorry, just really confused on this and there didn't seem to be anywhere else to get answers.

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No dumb questions here! :) Say you are receiving SASBE from me and I ask you to send me 3 stamps,a list of seed requested and a return address label.You can either put these items inside a bubble envy and mail it that way,of course you will need postage to send the envy,or you can prepare the bubble envy with the stamps and address label,put that inside another plain yellow envy and mail it that way.It really is up to you,of course unless the giver asks you to do it a certain way. I hope this makes sense to you ( sometimes I am confusing...lol),if not let me know and I will try again! :)

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Makes perfect sense agirlsagirl! Thank you!

A couple more questions..is there a particular size bubble envie I should keep on hand? What about including seed envelopes marked with the items that I requested? Or perhaps even a couple extras blank for the offerer's kindness? Stamps,return address labels and the list are a given. Just not real sure about the size envelope to send.

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well,that would all depend on the amount of seed you are requesting.It seems the 4 x 6 (I think those are the dimensions) is the most often used for trades and smaller SASBE requests.I wouldn't go any bigger than a 6 x 9 unless you are requesting a whole lot of seed. Your idea for sending extra seed envies is a nice idea,and I am sure would be appreciated. It sounds to me like you are all set to go! Enjoy those seeds! :D

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Just wanted to bump all this wonderful wisdom back up on the page so it's easily found. This stuff is really great advice!

Kathy

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lots of newbies with questions! Back to page one! :)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

• chrizty
    15 years ago

bump :)

• merianna
    15 years ago

Bump. I have tried a search for an answer to a question and can't find an answer. Sometimes I'm afraid of asking a question for fear of getting the old "do a search" answer. Which I've always done prior to asking the question.

Ok, now my question. Is there a way to track a thread that you are enjoying reading. You know, like on some forum sites you can tag a thread as a favorite and you will be emailed any new posts by anyone to it. I'm not talking about ones that you start, I know those responses can be emailed to you. I mean just ones I may want to lurk on or respond to. Its hard to remember to go back and check later.
    Thanks,

Mary

• chrizty
    15 years ago

lol i hate the old do a search line.
    you could put the topic in your clipping, or do like i do n put it in your favs, i have a folder in my favs called gw links, i put any topics from trades n ones i want to keep up with, just gotts refresh it to see if theres any new posts.

15 years ago

Sometimes I'm afraid of asking a question for fear of getting the old "do a search" answer.
    We don't say that here at the Seed Exchange as there is usually someone ready, willing and able to answer.

I too, save threads to a Bookmark folder...as I use Firefox browser. I save really special threads to my clippings until I can copy them somewhere else.

Sue...resident busy body

• merianna
    15 years ago

Great tips.
    Thanks so much. I have now set up a sub-folder in favs gardening folder for threads.

The "my clippings" option is something I had forgotten about. Now I'm off to explore the "most clipped" page.

Boy, I can find so many ways to avoid going out in the Texas heat.

15 years ago

bump

• chrizty
    15 years ago

bumpy bump:)

• sudzy
    15 years ago

just wanted to make a comment. My first trade and I MESSED it up. Actually it wasn't a trade. It was an offer to a newbie (that would be me) to fill up an SASBE. Well, I went out and brought a 4by6 thinking that it would mail for 41cent stamp. Inside I only enclosed 3 postage stamps for the return trip. BUT, the PO said it was a bubble so it required extra postage, 75 cents. So that was 1.16 just to get the empty envelope to the trader. And since I had only put in 3 stamps...well, we'll see what happens. Anyway, the point is. I didn't ask her how many stamps it would take. SO the fault was mine. Just wanted to point that out. Thanks

• sudzy
    15 years ago

lol..Me again. So actually, I guess it would be less expensive to mail your bubble inside of a regular envelope. Than it wouldn't have to be hand stamped and no extra cost.

15 years ago

No Sudzy...You did it right. The Post Office did it wrong, as they have been doing a lot since First Class Mail went to shape based pricing in May 2007.

If your envelope was under 3/4" think it should have gone for 82 cents (it was 80 before the recent May 2008 increase.)

I guess it would be less expensive to mail your bubble inside of a regular envelope. Than it wouldn't have to be hand stamped and no extra cost.
    No, they would tell you that it had to be hand stamped and that it was oversized to be a First Class Letter.

If it is under 3/4 inches thick, they are to be charging Large Envelope rate (82cents for the first OZ). They are still overcharging many for parcel rate.

Please post here the street address, city, and zip of the PO that is overcharging. I will then forward the info on to the Consumer Affairs Manager for my area, who will personally 'attempt' to get the word to someone who can and will inform the window clerks what the 'correct' charges are.

I would also, if I were you, write and mail a letter to the Post Master General at the address at the link above.
    Maybe he needs to be made aware that this is still on ongoing problem.

Thanks for posting and letting us know there are some Post Offices out there that are still not on board and are still overcharging the customer. There are BIG, BIG problems with the USPS that employees in management are not doing their job of getting the word down the line, and that there is no system of evaluating the employees and how well they know and do their jobs. 14 months is more than enough time for all employees at all levels of the USPS to have gotten familiar with the new (?) shape based pricing that went into effect in May 2007!
    That window clerk does not know how to do her job right...that is charge correctly.
    That Post Master/Mistress is not doing his/her job right that his employees are not doing their job right.
    That Post Master's supervisor is not doing his job right, in that he is unaware that the Post Master is not doing his job right...and on up the line.
    It really is not the poor window clerks fault. It is more the fault of the Post Master NOT doing his job, and that is seeing that his employees are doing their jobs correctly.
    HEADS SHOULD ROLL OVER THIS STILL GOING ON! It is STEALING!

Sue

• colcol
    15 years ago

If it is over 1/4" thick and under 3/4" thick, it is considered a "flat". BUT it has to be "uniform" in thickness and flexible. No bumps as in a bulging pkg of seeds all in the middle. Tape them evenly on a piece of cardboard to make the thickness uniform. If it is not uniform in thickness AND flexible, then it is bumped up to the "package" catagory even though it is under 3/4" thick. Confusing? YEP! It's up to each individual clerk to quickly access whether it's letter with 20c surcharge, flat, or package category. It's clerks discreption. What one clerk might consider "flexible", another clerk might not. It is so frustrating the the Postal Service went to this awkward, confusing, awful system!

15 years ago

bump

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

I am looking for gardeners familiar with very hot dry summers and winters with snow of about one foot or so. I live in Northern California and am now renting an apartment with a very,very small fenced in patio of about 3'x 9'. The ground is covered in concrete so will be doing only container gardening. This patio gets no direct sunlight, but of course does get light. I am looking for suggestions on what might be good to plant there. Thanks so much! : )

15 years ago

Hi aAwaysagarden,

Welcome to Garden Web and the Seed Exchange Conversation Forum.

I see you have a trade list posted, but no email addy link on your Member Page for folks to reach you if you post to a trade thread, or start one of your own.

Please see addressing newbie and newer member issues for getting your email addy set up, as well as putting your zone and location (10 N CA) in the one box on your profile provided for the garden zone....see I am zone 5/6 S IN. That info will then show on your Member Page, and will automatically be shown each time you post.

Once that is done (and folks can tell at a glance where you are gardening) you might want to check out The California Gardening Forum

Sue...resident busy body

• tndandelion
    15 years ago

I have a question. I'm not a brand new newbie. I've received a few SASBE offers and it went great. The people here are phenomenal.

But I have some seeds that I'd like to offer for SASBE to help others but I'm really nervous about putting it out there and not knowing what to expect.

Any advice on how to do this?

Thanks!!!

I bet y'all thought a stupid question couldn't be asked. LOL ;)

• token28001
    15 years ago

tndandelion:

I did one a few weeks ago. I specified 6 newbies and had all my seeds prepackaed so I knew what I could spare before I started. I had one special pack of seeds (datura) that I asked they request specifically since they are dangerous plants around kids and pets. So far, I've received 4 of the 6 SASBE. I turn them around the day after I receive them.

Just put the information out there. Remind them that they should be newbies or whatever your criteria is, and have fun. I also mentioned I'd prefer that they trade the seeds they received if they already have them or don't want them.

At the time, a lot of my seeds were fairly common, but they're good for perennial beds and a few uncommon were included as a bonus.

I'll be doing another one once I sort out what I intend to keep for myself and trade to others.

• daw_etc
    15 years ago

I don't know if this has already been asked or answered but I want to make my trade and exchange list thing and I can't find where to do that. I read that there's a member page option or something that is up in the green bar but (I don't know if I'm crazy or not..) I can't find anything like that. Where should I look??
    Help!
    -Dani

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Hi! And welcome! Just scroll down to the bottom of any page and you will see the green bar. Click on member pages, you should be good to go from there.

• daw_etc
    15 years ago

Oh! I thought they meant the top of the page green bar! Thanks, haha. That's why I'm a newb =P
    -Dani

• harold100
    15 years ago

In a post for seed, some lady asked for a PLMK. What is that?

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Harold! It stands for "Please Let Me Know".;)

I have been learning acronyms slowly myself,sometimes my teen daughter helps me,thank God for her! :)

15 years ago

All good questions here.

I noticed (I think anyway) that there was no further mention, or explanation about the link to the Special Instructions not working.

There is and has been a post made which members are invited to keep bumped up toward the top of page one, so it will best been seen and read by those that are new to the exchange. Suggestions/additional comments are welcomed in the thread at any time.

Link to Special Instructions for the Seed Exchange

Sue...resident busy body ☺

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yikes! I missed that one! I assumed and you know what happens when someone assumes...lol..sorry about that! Again Super Sue to the rescue! I honestly don't know what kind of madness there would be here if it weren't for you!;)

15 years ago

Well it would certainly help if GW would get the link to the SI links fixed once and for all. In reading the posts above, they have been broken since Jan of 2008! They are only broken on The Seed and The Plant Exchanges, I think, which are the 2 most popular exchanges...sigh.

While fixing it, I think it would be nice if they worded it better, and made it sound friendlier and much more welcoming than what it is now.

The Spec Instructions as they stand now, are left over from the ole Spiko regime, (pre iVillage) which I am so glad is over. He was quite often an unreasonable tyrant, imho.

Sue

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes the link working would be a very nice thing,maybe they like it better the way you did it?...lol..It does come across sort of robotic to me. I think if it is reworded you should do it. I think you have a great way of saying things and you always remember the details alot of us forget!:)
    ~Angie

14 years ago

bumping this up

14 years ago

bump...ask your questions here.

Note...the mailing cost for Bubblie Envelopes have changed since this thread was started.

(Present) Mailing Costs for Bubble Envelopes (BE)(May 2009-May 2010)
    The rates 'usually' go up in May of each year.

• quilt_mommy
    14 years ago

Hello there, I've been on Garden Web for a few years but am a complete newbie to trading. I have answered a few free seed offers in exchange for bubble envelopes and postage to get a feel for what a trade would look like. I read in the FAQ 12-24 seeds should be sufficient, but I am curious does that go for all seeds? I found today some balloon flower seed pods out under the snow in my garden and quickly snatched them up for trading. I was amazed at how many seeds were in this small plant and so I packaged them up in packets of 60. Still, that doesn't seem like very many seeds to me! :) Is that a reasonable amount for this type of plant or would you do more? I would like to know what you experienced traders do and feel about what is a fair amount of seeds for trade. Would you give more seeds of a more common plant? Thanks so much for any insight that can be offered! :)

14 years ago

Hi quilt_mommy,

Hello there, I've been on Garden Web for a few years but am a complete newbie to trading.
    Well what took you so long to join in the fun of the Seed Exchange?

I read in the FAQ 12-24 seeds should be sufficient, but I am curious does that go for all seeds?
    That is the normal amount for a 'minimum' count unless specified otherwise. A trader can list any count they like on their seeds and a lot of folks are happy to get less than 25 seeds for something they are lusting after. Yes...we do lust for seeds often times.

I was amazed at how many seeds were in this small plant and so I packaged them up in packets of 60. Still, that doesn't seem like very many seeds to me! :)
    A lot of folks I think pack them according to how many they have available.

Here is a thread that covers seeds and amounts with a lot of input from folks.

Fewer than 25 seeds???

If you take a look at my page you'll see 'some' things are listed with smaller quantities but I said at the top All seed packets contain 25 or more seeds unless noted. If you are wanting or needing more than the quantity I have listed, feel free to say so, and I'll see what is available. Chances are I can send more than one trade of the variety.

I have some things (not listed) from your wish list as well as some that are listed. If you would like to send me a bubblie and postage, and your wish list, we can get some of those things off of your wish list.

Sue

• quilt_mommy
    14 years ago

Sue,

"Well what took you so long to join in the fun of the Seed Exchange?"

:) I don't know! I am still a relatively new gardener and I guess intimidation held me back a little too. After all, I planted ten pots of echinacea chaff last year. Lol* ;) I'm sure nobody would have appreciated any of my "seeds"!

Thank you so very much for the link, I did a search and came up with little more than a comment here or there - that was extremely helpful!! I've upped the quantity of the campanula seeds to what I think will be more along the lines of what others are sharing. I did pop over and look at your trade list, I noticed as you said that it seems to be seeds that are rarer or just happen to be available in limited quantities that are offered at less than 25 seeds. This is incredibly helpful to me, thank you!

Thank you so much also for your kind offer! I am overwhelmed at the generosity of the people I've met here. Boy, just when you think the world is going to pot! ;) Truly though, it means an awful lot to me, and I really hope that I can return the favor in some way. After spending hours last night cleaning seeds from seed heads and folding teeny origami envelopes, labeling...boy do I appreciate how much work seed saving and exchanging is! :) I will send you an email. :)

• impisces71
    10 years ago

Hello I'm new here and need to ask a few questions. Some are about details on propagating cuttings for exchange and some are about seeds and seed exchange. Is this where I'd ask those or could someone send me to the right place to post those?

Steve a.k.a. impisces71