Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you organize your seeds?!

Posted by alwaysagarden CA 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 3, 09 at 19:19

Hi all,
After a few month of seed trades and Round Robin Seed Swaps I need to get some ideas on how to organize all these seeds! I have a small box and keep them in assorted labeled envelopes but still have to shuffle through all the packets in each envelope. Anyone have better ideas? I'd love to hear them!

Cindy : )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you organize your seeds?!

Hi Cindy,
That happens to most all of us and this very question has been asked over the years. I did a search using your words 'How do you organize your seeds ' and this is what came up.
Look them over but we will see new responses to your question here as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: How do you organize your seeds

o

By letter. Either common name or scientific, whichever I am most familiar with. Flowers, veggies, herbs, shrubs, it's all in one box. Come spring, the box will be empty waiting for the next batch of seeds.

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 3, 09 at 23:23

My idea is to keep the seeds on my trade list in one box and the rest of them.....in another box....or two....not everything is to be traded some actually are going to get planted! My project for the week is going to be splitting the annuals from the perennials.

:)

o

My seeds are stored in one of the refrigerator drawers. They are in zipper baggies labeled "Perennials", "Annuals", "Herbs", "Veggies", "Vines", with some extra baggies for seeds that I have a lot of, like "Asclepias". Within the baggies, they are organized alphabetically by botanical name. I throw the dessicants from vitamin bottles, etc. in the baggies and in the drawer. The drawer has a little lever for humidity, which I set on the lowest setting.

This seems to work really well to maintain the seed viability, because last year I sowed some fairly old seeds with success. Had great germination on Parsley, Basil, Chile peppers, one type of Zinnia, and a few others that were packed for 1998 or earlier.

o

I store my seeds in a bread loaf tupperware type container in alphabetical order. I used 3 x 5 index cards that I write the name on and staple the seed packs to the card. I try and staple above the ziplock with the bags and if very small seeds not in the ziplock, I put in a seed ziplock and staple. I keep all of the different types stapled to the index card. For example, I have a card with hollyhocks, stapled to it are 4 different types of hollyhocks. When the card if full, I start another and put a #2 Hollyhock on it.

All seeds are logged into a spreadsheet with sowing, growing, germinating, who I got it from and planting info. I sort by sow month and pull out all the seeds I need to plant. When finished sowing, I re-staple to the card and re-file. All finished packs are put in a pile and I add a "DONE" to the spreadsheet and next year remove all the "DONE" seeds and start over. I use a staple remover when sowing and a little dixi cup to collect the staples

BYW, all my seeds are stored together except for the ones that need to be stored in the fridge.

I started stapling because those little ziplock seed packets get so unruly and some of the folded seed packets get lost on the bottom.

Good luck!
Andrea
Appaloosa909

o

Andrea, I am impressed! Wow, you really keep your ducks in a tight row. I've always been one to keep things very organized but the past few years I've let some things get a little messier than I like. Winter seems to be the best time to tackle these unorganized piles since I'm indoors so much more.
Terrene, I do keep my seeds in a dark,cool,dry place. Wish my fridge had a drawer with a humidity setting on it! I can't imagine getting 10 year old Zinnia seed to germinate!
Thanks everyone for the ideas, this is really helpful.

Cindy : )

o

I've just organized my seeds using a soft sided zippered CD case. I love it. I can sit down with a catalog and my binder at the table with a cuppa and shop!

I also downloaded packets to print so that I could save my seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Binder: Garden Organization Project

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here