Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

cinnamon vine photos and caution

helenh
15 years ago

I see requests for this plant. I hope there is another plant with the same name and not this invasive curse. It has potato like growths that sprout all over and spread. {{gwi:27445}}{{gwi:27447}}

Comments (12)

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Thanks! I think I will be keeping mine in a pot! ;)

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Awful! Reminds me of kudzoo and a wisteria vine that we have been fighting for several years. Thanks for posting. Nikki

• honeybunchy
    15 years ago

helen, now i'm hesitating to plant the tubercles i've been nursing all winter. i want them for the edible roots and fruit ( i guess the tubercles are its fruit?). can you tell me- does the vine die back to the ground in winter? looks like it doesn't, from its size in those pics!

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

I won't be planting any of this! Thanks for the heads up Helen.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i totally have that in the woods in our town!! beautiful plant!! never seen the taters though, i have been trying to propogate it for a few years! if you leave it unattended, ya! its gonna take over, geeze!! i have the "dreaded" honeysuckle and geuss what??? its on a trellis. and when i first moved here, it was beautiful!! lester took great care of the thing, then we moved in and no one told me how your supposed to do this, so for a few years it grew, and let me tell ya, this thing grew!! all over, but someone told me to clip it back to 6" to above the ground. hmmm....suppose ya know who that was, yep! lester, but i had to ask how to take care of it! he's a great person, but let me tell ya, he's not gonna stick his nose in anyuone else's business! LOL now every year i cut that thing back to 6" and it grows beautifully!! my point is, take care of your stuff! don't think its gonna be there and take care of its self. any plant will do that if not taken care of.. my sweedish ivy, will grow like a crazy weed if not pruned back!! and its a houseplant, i put her outside, went to topeka for a week, it rained i was gone for a week, it was kinda rainy that week so i wasn't worried, got back, guess what? she's all long and crazy!! House plant!!! LOL and yes, i agree, keep the cinnamon vine in a pot!! 12" would be great! now that i know mine and the one that is in the woods are the same, although winter has its curses!! **grin** ~Medo
    p.s. you were supposed to laugh at that, not be offended, i reread that and it sounded kinda snotty to me, its totally not!! **big smile**

Here is a link that might be useful: barehanded totally nutso gardener :'}

• wenders6715
    15 years ago

I bought 2 packages,it should die back here though,and if not,I was going to plant trumpet vines all around the old shed.I'll just plant some of them there,after I get them to germinate.My pkgs. say-Dioscorea Batatas,and that it grows to 12".Got them from PineTree-5seeds for$3.75.Now I have to really look them up!!Thanks,Wend

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

hmmm...per the link below....
    Exotic Climbing Yams
    Air yam Dioscorea bulbifera
    Chinese yam , Cinnamon vine D. oppositifolia
    (formerly D. batatas)

Plant: Deciduous, high-climbing vines, to 66 ft (20 m) long, infestations covering vegetation (native yam species will not), twining stems with heart-shaped leaves and dangling potato-like tubers (bulbils) at leaf axils in summer to fall, flowers rare, from underground tubers. Monocots.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Cinnamon vine

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

medontdo, I am not offended by what you are saying. I am guilty of planting this 40 years and two yards ago. It is not honeysuckle or Swedish ivy. This contaminates your soil. The little potatoes can wash downstream and you have this vine all along the ditch. That is what you see in the pictures. I was given this vine by my boyfriend's mother when I was in my twenties. I am about ready for medicare. I planted it in my mother's yard. When I married I took phlox to my new yard. With those plants were the potatoes in the soil. When I moved to my present yard, I brought daylilies and other plants - the potatoes were in the soil. The vine moves even if you don't move it. It is a zebra mussel plant. I would not plant this or especially trade it like people do on this forum. You can not guarantee that they will keep it in a pot and watch its every move; then you will be responsible for spreading it.

• jaynine
    14 years ago

i got mine from my sister in PA zone 6 and it's currently grown in a pot. the little bulbils fall off into my yard and sometimes into one of the flowerbeds, but have never gotten out of control. (hers have been growing in the ground for years: they pop up everywhere in spring/summer, but have been easy to keep under control, also.) it's such a pretty plant; i love it!

• jaynine
    14 years ago

i forgot to add that although it's behaved well for me, i can plainly see what it's capable of doing to other people's gardens/yards, so will no longer be offering it for trade.

• medontdo
    14 years ago

i think because helen is zone 9, it will grow all year?? sorry, i didn't mean to sound all rude. i never mean to offend anyone. that's like here, talla, brought home a morning glory, i have learned they are the one's that have tubers, they also sprout like mad, well, i just let the one she brought grow like crazy, it was in my manic mood. **grin** it was pretty, and my little girl gave it to me for mom's day. sooooo, in the next few years i still had it, i have learned with them to trellis ANY vine. this, i'm very neurotic about. next year i will get back into mg's. but not this. they will all be trellised. i used twine. and watched em like a hawk!! if you keep them far enough apart, you can see all the pods ripening and catch them BEFOR they fall. Hee Hee **big grin** ~Medo

• extra
    12 years ago

I would like a start, I have a very confined area that would be great for it to grow.I any one has a start Please contact me @ rextraw@sbcglobal.net

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm