Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raising onion plants

Posted by heirloomer08 4 IA (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 14, 10 at 20:22

Hi all, In past years I have always bought my onion plants. This year I was wanting to start my own from seed, inside of course. I am from NW Iowa and my planting time outside is sometime during the month of May. With that being said how early should my plants be started indoors to have hearty enough plants to move to the garden in May. I have never started my onion plants before. Although, I have started all of my other garden plants every year. Are there any tricks to getting onions started good? Any and all ideas would be greatly apprecitated!
Thanks, heirloomer08

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raising onion plants

Hi Heirloomer,

I'm surprised no one has replied by now.

I did a search over at The Winter Sowing Forum, and it brought up several threads with onion in them.

If you don't find what you are looking for, you might also ask there about growing onions from seed. You might mention the name of the seed you have and if you were wanting to grow green onions or onions for dry storage, or maybe both.

Sue

o

thanks Sue, I'll check it out. I am going to grow mostly for dry storage.
heirloomer08

o

There also appear to be some knowledgeable people in the Allium forum. I didn't do a search of that forum, but did see this thread. If I didn't do the link right, it's still on the first page of the allium forum. (I should spend some time in the test forum learning links and pics.) I will be interested in your experiences. I'd try seed myself except we're planning a month-long trip east in April and I don't think I could find anyone willing to baby seedlings for that long. Ah well, maybe next year.
Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: some ?'s about starting onions indoors

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here