Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerchild5

a short note about postage

flowerchild5
15 years ago

just wanted to pass on a reminder to put the correct postage on your envelopes. I've received several this last week, i've had to pay postage on. I'm not upset, just can't afford to keep paying extra postage. i hope i don't offend anyone.

Tanya

Comments (15)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Just a quick note, so I won't go into my postage rant...

Are you aware that the PO has been overcharging a good bit of the time since they went to shape based pricing in May 2007?

Mailing costs for Bubble Envelopes

Most small trades should meet the requirements of being a 1 OZ or less Large Envelope rate and be 83 cents.

There is a really good chance that postage was NOTdue, but that it was stamped in error. I have had several in the last months stamped Postage Due. I took them into the PO before I opened them, and had them verified. They had all been stamped in error and no postage was due.

Most ALL envelopes that have folded bubble wrap in them will be over 1/4" thick, and won't be able to go at letter rate, but instead will be large envy rate.

Sue

• flowerchild5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I recieved several envelope with 2 stamps on them. last year they all need 3 according to my p.o. so i tried sending one with only 2 stamps and i got it back today. so i had to pay for it twice to be sent. I was so mad about that. I was going to discuss it with the postal people, but the line was so long i couldnt wait.
    I will continue to have them weighed to be sent.
    Tanya

15 years ago

so i tried sending one with only 2 stamps and i got it back today. so i had to pay for it twice to be sent.
    Had to pay for it twice? or had to add additional postage, probably to bring it up to Large Envelope rate.

To familiarize yourself with the problem and what has been going on for the past year and 8 months, see several of the first links found below. There has been a lot of talk about it over on the Conversation side of the forum.

Sue...

The link to Conversations is found just above the list of threads here on page 1

Here is a link that might be useful: forum search results for 'chemocurl postage'

• kwyet1
    15 years ago

..I have 3 post offices within a short drive from my house..and each one charges me a different price for the same size bubble envelope!! One post office (the most expensive charges a bubble envelope as a 'parcel'. One charges for a 'first class' envelope...and they other one...it depends on who is there??!!? So, I am going with 2 stamps on a small bubble envy...it is NOT my intention for anyone to have to pay postage due.

• heirloomer08
    15 years ago

I had the same thing happen to me last year. I am lucky enough to have 4 small towns close to me. My home town post office was charging more to send and receive bubble envelopes. So I went to the other four towns with the same exact bubble envi that my town was charging me more postage for. Then I went to my post office and asked why 4 other towns and no problem with the same rate on this bubble envi. My home town wouldn't give me an answer but "surprise" I didn't have to pay any more extra postage on any more envi's after that. So in my case it was just a matter of my home town PO trying to jack me around a little. I just nicely put them in a corner and it worked for me. Hope this helps you.
    Perry

• dorisl
    15 years ago

guess we gotta pay for

Here is a link that might be useful: this!

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

I sent 2 BEs out this morning and they were 1.17 each. I had an offer last week and I told everyone to send me 3 stamps for return postage because I knew the post office was going to overcharge me. I have tried to talk to them but they are now telling me all bubble envelopes are 1.17. I give up. They win. I'm tired of walking into my PO and the workers looking at me like I'm fixing to start something. Its happened in the past and I don't want it to happen again.
    I hereby nonminate Sue for Postmaster General. Once elected she can fire all of the idiots and hire people who know what their doing.
    jim_6b

• medontdo
    15 years ago

awww jim, ya just have to stand your ground, and don't let anyone walk all over you. always go in with the info in your hand if need be!! or "Proof" LOL i know mine is not parcel and all so i don't let them charge me for it. but i love to argue to. **grinn** :')

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

At my post office it didn't matter that I had the information in hand. The post master wouldn't even look at it. "I know the information." I was made to feel as if I was a problem not a customer wanting correct information. It was pay the price or leave. I left with my envelopes and went to another post office where they get it right.

• carroteggs
    15 years ago

I received a BE that was 3 cents short and they say That I owe 37 cents. I already opened it, but now I know not to open it. My post office charges me 83 cents for a 6x9 bubble envelope that weighs 3 oz. You can also get a quote from the online USPS store so you know about how much to put on it. My 3oz envelope only had one seed packet in it and it weighed the same as if it was empty.

Depending on the size and thickness, you will get charged different rates. But if three post offices are charging you three different prices, you should let whoever is in charge (manager wise) at the cheaper post office know...Maybe you'll get a discount? :)

15 years ago

My post office charges me 83 cents for a 6x9 bubble envelope that weighs 3 oz.
    You PO is undercharging. Please see the link below for the correct charges at this time.

You can also get a quote from the online USPS store so you know about how much to put on it.
    Again...the costs are listed at the link below, as well as the dimensions.

If one is doing much seed or plant tradeing, a postal scale is a great help so one does not have to guess on the ounces of whatever they are mailing.

They are often available on Ebay for $20 or less and that includes the shipping.

Postal scales with free shipping at Ebay

hth

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Mailing costs for Bubble Envelopes (BE) until May 2009

• carroteggs
    15 years ago

Maybe it was 1oz, I thought it was 3oz, but that may have been my other package. I mailed several seeds that day. Thank you for the link :)

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

I have an official USPS scale that I received for Christmas 2007. It's just collecting dust these days.
    jim_6b

• paradisa
    15 years ago

I had the same problem with my PO. I was being overcharged. 1.17, 1.34 for just a note or a few seed pkgs in them. I argued it should only be 83 cents and got nowhere. I received a small bubble envy all the way from CA (I'm in NY) it had .67 on it and was full of seed pkgs. I took it to my post office and said how come they can and I can't. Well the response was they marked it wrong. I said look I need to know how much postage to put on these things - I can't come and get them weighed every time. Come to find out my small bubble envy with nothing or just a few seed pkgs in it only costs one stamp to sent , I guess as long as it is under an ounce, it is like a letter. And my larger one costs me 2 stamps, and the largest 3. Boy were they ripping me off big time on the first 45 swaps I did. She knew I wasn't pleased, kind of apologized but not really. What a racket they have going. Now I don't even go anymore. I just guestimate the best I can. My apologies to anyone in advance if I don't put enough on.
    Paradisa

15 years ago

Bubble envelopes are charged not only by their weight, but by their thickness. Almost all (probably 99+%)are over 1/4"thick and must go as 83 cents for the first ounce.

I have received in a few really old bubblies with most of the bubbles smashed out of them that were under 1'4".

I have one of the First Class Mail Shape-Based Pricing Templates. My postmaster ordered it for me and anyone should be able to get one from their PO. They 'may' have to be ordered though. It comes in very handy to determine for sure whether or not a bubblie is under 3/4" so it can go as a Large Envelope as opposed to the higher Parcel rate.

{{gwi:27504}}

It has the 1/4" slot which only a worn out bubble will slip/fall through as well as the 3/4" slot.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Mailing costs for Bubble Envelopes

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath