Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmom2_gw

Question from a newby

gardenmom2
15 years ago

Ok. I love this site. My question is regarding trades. Do these need to be whole packs of seeds or just like 20 or 30 or something. I am really confused. Thanks.

Comments (14)

• dorisl
    15 years ago

the informal # is 24 seeds for a pack, but you can decide whatever amount you want, just show the # on your trade list so peeps know what they are getting.

Some people shove alot more in the packs and some less, it depends on how many they ahve, some plants make tons and tons of seeds and some plants make less, so it all depends.

• gardenmom2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. I really did not want to commit to a trade or RR without knowing all of the rules and how to's first. Thanks you so much for responding.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Hi gardenmom2,

Welcome to Garden Web and The seed Exchange!

Here is a good read. Fewer than 25 seeds??? It tells of a lot of exceptions to the 24 or so rule. Like Doris said, letting one know how many seeds will be fine. There are several things on my list noted as fewer than 25 seeds.

There is a also a link to FAQ at the top of the page 1 here at the Seed Exchange. The postage cost info is obsolete though.

Here is a thread covering postage costs Mailing costs for Bubble Envelopes (BE)

Also, you have no email link on your Member Page, so no one can reach you. Please see addressing newbie and newer member issues for complete instructions on getting it set up as well as a location in your Member profile. See I am zone 5/6 S IN. It is good info to have when trading, or asking or answering questions. Your location will then be listed on your member Page, and will automatically be displayed when you post.

The link above also covers responding to sase, sasbe, beap, free aka seeds for postage offers.

Here is more info about the seeds for postage offers too.

Hth and that it isn't tmi.

Sue

• gardenmom2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks i will fix it right now. and by the OMG I am around Lawrencburg, IN. Hi neighbor. I will go now and fix that. Thanks for all the help.Anything else I should know. I had found the thread on bubble mailers. Do I send a knew one in one or send it with a label and stamps inside or how do you do that?

15 years ago

Well HEY neighbor! I'm in rural Scott County out by Hardy Lake...about 30 miles north of Louisville.

Do I send a knew one in one or send it with a label and stamps inside or how do you do that?
    No, it is just one envie. I find sase, or sasbe is confusing since it is not a self addressed envie at all.

sase-sasbe is NOT a self addressed envelope-bubble or otherwise explains all that, and it is fine to use either a new or recycled BE. I prefer to call 'seeds for postage offers' BEAP...ie Bubble envelope and postage.

Sue

• gardenmom2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, I found that when I read the newby forum. Thanks so much for all your help. After reading the post about number of seeds I am ready to get mine out and count and post for trades as I think I will be able to do some now. How do you package your seeds for trade. Baggies or should I go buy the little manilla enve's.

15 years ago

How do you package your seeds for trade. Baggies or should I go buy the little manilla enve's.

I use the little 2"X2" or 2"X3" little zip lock bead bags found in the crafting section at WM and other places. In the past I have bought massive quantities on line 2000-3000 at a time and they figured out to well less than $1 per 100. Some folks use the paper coin envelopes. Others use hand made folded origami seed packs. There is a great post somewhere that shows how, but I can't find it now. Possibly someone else will post a link to it.
    Others just use paper folded, taped and labeled. All is fine, imho.

Sue

15 years ago

Me again. I just looked at your trade list. You are lookin good GF! I do suggest that you maybe post that the seeds you have that are bought are commercial seeds. Saved seeds to a lot of things will sometimes or often cross, so I often don't view saved seed (like tomatoes or peppers) the same as commercial seed.

Email me your addy, and I will be your (hopefully first) enabler. I have some others I need to get out too, but will put you on 'the list' and will let you know once they go out...no BEAP necessary. I see I have a few things you are looking for and can also include some (fresh from 2008) seeds that you can then add to your trade list, if you don't care to grow them yourself.

Sue...resident busy body and enabler

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

Medontdo- Michelle- has several homemade seed envelope patterns on her pages. Just click on the link below, click on her homepage link, then find the seed envelope link on the middle right side of the page :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Medo's home page

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

You've made a great start, Gardenmom! I'm interested in your Black from Tula tomatoes... and perhaps a couple other things. I have several items on your wish list and would be more than happy to hook you up with some lovely things :) Email me and we'll set something up. I'm always happy to enable...errr...help a newbie :)

Kathy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Hey there! Welcome to GW!! It's a WONDERFUL place to be! :)

I'd be more than happy to send you a few things from your want list as well for sasbe. Just send me an email and we'll get it set up!

Welcome!
    ~Wendy

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

I have a series of experience-based Seed Trading FAQs at WinterSown.Org. Of course, everyone does it their own way; I think I've covered the majority of problems anyone can encounter--these are the problems that I myself had or observed as a new trader.

The same series is also available in the WS Forum FAQs. Included in there is info on how to reuse a bubble mailer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Trading FAQs at WS.Org

• yotetrapper
    15 years ago

I sent you and email gardenmom

• conniesc
    15 years ago

Gardenmom, I am not sure if u saw my post under the April Showers bring May Flowers... take a look ( I am having problems coping it :)

I am relatively new as well and I would like to 'pay it forward' as well. So many people have been very generous with me to help me get started. Now I am addicted :) Wait til u particiapte in a round-robin swap. They are fun!!

Sponsored