Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill449

White Garden

bill449
15 years ago

With all the hardships are now falling on many of our people here in our nation and else were,I think it would be good if we set a side a bed or section to make a white garden and flowers of one's choice for hope and prayers

For our nation and people everywhere.

Comments (20)

• ollierose
    15 years ago

What a lovely idea Bill! I've been collecting tons of white flowers, so I think I'll do that in my woodland garden. It will be a nice contrast amongst all the green!

Thank you for sharing your great idea!

Diana

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

It really is a nice idea! I will keep it in mind while planning my beds! :)

• bill449
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I think it is a good idea and sets a standard of preservation of
    good wishes towards the hope of others that better times will come.
    I am thinking of going with white impatiens, vinca white and maybe a
    border of white datura behind in a bed.

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

That sounds beautiful! :) The thought behind it is so beautiful! I have thought of some of the seeds I have that would be a nice white combo. I am thinking,reseda alba,Cosmos 'Physce' (white) and Malva 'White Perfection",possibly some white Phlox drummondi and white snapdragons also!:)
    The bed I am considering is one that can be seen from many angles,passer-bys and us! I am excited about this project! Maybe this will be one "theme" I can stick to!;)

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

I was thinking of doing a white garden. Just because I wanted one, but having a special meaning like this behind it makes it even more special for me.
    I think I will add a bright red bloomer right in the middle to signify the "heart" of it all.
    Thank you for sharing such a wonderful and thoughtful idea.

Carrie

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

What a great idea Carrie! I love it! Mind if I copy cat you?...lol....

• bill449
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Boy thats an idea and too, could be a round or square bed with a colored border on the outer edges.

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

I found this list of colors and their meanings via a search:

Red
    Red communicates love and beauty. In Christianity, red symbolizes love, blood and the martyrdom of Christ.

Orange
    Orange represents enthusiasm, excitement and adventure.

Yellow
    The color of joy, gladness, delight, and the promise of a new beginning. It also represents playfulness, creativity, warmth, charm, confidence, basically an easy going attitude about life.

Green
    The peaceful color of a spring meadow, once banned by Christians now means hope, peace, healing and growth in Christian life.

Blue
    Blue is the color of constancy and faith, the color painters used for the Virgin Mary's robe, the color of the heavens and the oceans. The soothing color blue stands for sky, good health, sensitivity, truth, loyalty, patience, friendship and dignity. In Christianity, blue symbolizes Mary and Advent.

Violet
    Purple is symbolic of power, majesty, spiritual goals, passionate belief, visionary leadership, respect and wealth. It has been worn by emperors, military commanders, and other high-ranking officials. In Christianity, purple means penitence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Symbolism of color

• bill449
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info and link. You know I bet a lavender would look great bordered around the white, but several other colors would look great also. Well give me something to think on. I have other projects in mind also. Another member sent me some broomcorn and I am debating with that one. I may go with some tall sunflowers mixed in with that.

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

Angie - Copy cat away. LoL I'm copy catting you with that Green Loves Lies Bleeding. :-) Your photo was stunning!

I think I might try and add some yellow in this garden as a promise of good things to come!

Carrie

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Bill,
    I too think that is a wonderful idea. I know so many that are struggling right now. I have some double hollyhocks I could grow a few in the background, also have white sweet peas, morning glories, not sure what else for center...have to check my stash. Maybe white petunia and alyssum in front. As far as the red hmmm...poppies,zinnia,phlox,...not sure yet. : ) First time I've done a themed garden!

Carrie,
    I think a splash of red is perfect.

Angie,
    thanks for the list of colors and their meanings and also for the link.

Now my creative juices are going crazy!!! : )

Cindy

• bill449
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Cindy
    I just got in from work.
    You mention morning glory and the one thing that pop into my mind is that fact years ago there used to be a wild one that grew up at my folk's place that had very bright snowy white blooms each year. I wished over and over again I collected some seed from that one. I do not know where it exist up there still or not. Think I'll take a trip up there late this summer and see. Also I was looking around this morning and ran into this nice looking breed of flowers at: http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/annuals/brachycome.html That is also known as the Swan River Daisy.
    That one really holds some nice colors.

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

Bill449 - Be careful collecting wild morning glory seeds. Look up bindweed. I have it, and it kills me to, but I pull it up every time I see some. :-(

This is fun! I have already started making trades for white blooming plants/flowers.

Enjoy your gardens!
    Carrie

• bill449
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually Carrie I do have some seed of the Southwest bind weed for an area that deserves it. lolllll We have wild hedges around here and those things will grow anywhere. Their fragrance I do not care for when they bloom and the pollen they give off makes my eyes burn and itch. So I am going to sow some bind weed next to them on the right hand side of my yard where I have a thicket of them in the edge of the woodland and say get em! lollllll Our Southeast wild MG or binders are not as aggressive as the Southwest type, and produce some really nice colors.
    The Southwest binder you can tell a part from these that are native here. They have a little larger leaves and a bit thicker then ours. I bought some rye seed years ago that came out of Texas for a cover crop on one of my tobacco patches.
    This grain seed had binder seed mixed in it and man oh man. I put three times the work into that patch of tobacco to just keep those binders from taking over.
    I just don't think I could take that now. I was young and tough then and another story now. lol I am excited about this white garden project and hope this spreads all over this country. This is very nice and though I grew some flowers in the past I am no expert. I am a use to be veggie and tobacco farmer and still learning in growing flowers. I hope to try to raise some stocks and wallflowers this year for future seeds to share with folks, and with other items as well. Oh by the way, if any of you all run into someone with some extra woodland tobacco seed they cannot use I would be interested. Well about time for work. All the best and have a super good weekend you all. Bill449

• bill449
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have been looking at the woodland tobacco. It would look good I think as a background in a white garden. Some impatiens in front and maybe a lavender border of impatiens around the white ones. Then some datura whites in the background and then some woodland tobacco which is a bit taller behind the daturas. They have a real good selection of flowering tobacco at: http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/annuals/nicotiana.html and a very nice working website.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Check out the moon garden forum as well. I had a moon garden that went to a basic wild flower garden once the shade tree was down. It's a really fun idea.

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Bill,your plan sounds great! I have had ideas in and out here,but I havent set anything just yet! I will post when I know for sure!:)
    I will check to see if I have some woodland tobacco,if I do I will let you know! :)

• bill449
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes and thanks bakemom it is really going to be interesting and somewhat of an adventure for everyone. Too, each one should go by their own heart's desire of what design of flowers of arrangements. White looks best to me when some other colors are use for side borders and background and such. Seems like this brings out the white colors even brighter then being white alone. I have some other projects plans as well and still debating over them. I hope I have as good of luck this year with my veggies and flowers like I had last year. I had one Amanda Orange tomato last summer that was 2 1/4 LB when it got ripe. That is the biggest tomato I ever grew. I also had some Marion tomatoes I was very happy with. They had a very good flavor and plan to grow them again this summer. Thats another thing. Flower growing is a very good hobby for kids. If one can grow flowers, one can grow veggies too. Nothing like hands on learning. Have a good weekend everyone.

• bill449
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone else got any ideas and suggestions for designs please feel free to do so. I am listening.

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

How about a full edging of a mix of a dwarf white alyssum mixed with a purple alyssum.
    More white than the purple, but use the purple just to offset some of the white both in the bed and with the alyssum.

Fran

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH