Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margyrose

Will we be allowed to have private gardens?

margyrose
13 years ago

With the new bill passed in November concerning privately grown gardens (vegetables)I wonder what the take is from

avid gardenweb gardeners on this bill? Can the government tell us what we can and cannot grow to provide for our families?

Margyrose

Comments (7)

• jaynine
    13 years ago

I can't seem to find any info stating that this bill has passed. From what I've read about it (which isn't alot), it wouldn't affect home gardeners at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: hr 875 fact sheet

• jaynine
    13 years ago

...I did find info of it's passing...

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

The fear is based on bogus information that has been circulating since 2009.

None of the claims as to how it would or would not affect home gardens is true and has been repeatedly debunked over and over again.

please check the link below for factual information and don't worry about your home grown gardens.

There was nothing in the bill that affects anyone that grows their own veggies, fruit, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: The truth about HR 875

• kathy645
    13 years ago

Actually, the Food Safety and Modernization Act (S.510 included in HR 2751 bill) did pass and was signed on Jan. 4, 2011. When it was a Senate bill, it did exempt small farms/farmers making under $500,000 but did stipulate they must follow local and federal laws. I have no idea if that exemption was kept in the final bill. Somehow, I think that I will keep growing what I grow and if the seeds become unavailable commercially, I'll get better about saving and trading seeds.

• kathy645
    13 years ago

Guess my post crossed with littleone's. Just to be clear, I also believe the bill was not intended to nor will affect home gardens.
    kathy

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

Again, there is nothing in the bill, in the new legislation that affects home gardening, seed saving and it was never intended to do that either.

Fran

• medontdo
    13 years ago

does anyone notice how we helped the communist country get out of their way yet we are becoming more and more like them (slowly)?? with all these new bills passed that controls how we live more and more, all the way down to saying that we have no choice in the matter if our children get the vaccine?? something is really wrong..... just my thoughts here.
    saving the seeds are very smart!! because i'm sure somewhere down the line the big corporations are going to make them really expensive and more and more hybrids are going to be out there. i just read a study that the hybrids are what is killing the bee's, between that and the pestasides. i know, i went off track LOL

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022