Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaleeisa

Curious about reusing SASBE

jaleeisa
16 years ago

I was wondering how everyones goes about reusing SASBE. My fiancee and I were talking about this and he didn't have any idea either. I should mention, he's a rural postal carrier and doesn't have anything to do with weights and sizes, etc. But he mentioned that,of course, if you reused a bubble mailer that has been sent through the postal system, that the top left corner will have a stamp canceling out the postage stamps and barcodes printed across the bottom. So we were wondering how one reuses these mailers. The conversation came up when I was getting together a couple of SASBE to mail off. We started wondering for our own education as well as for the fact that I'm hoping to be able to start really doing trades as opposed to just replying to SASBE offers. Can someone enlighten me? I'm getting ready to mail these two SASBE off today, but don't want to cause the person generous enough to make the offer problems and extra expense.

You guys are all wonderful! I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you that have so warmly and generously welcomed me! And looking forward to meeting those that I haven't yet. Both the seeds AND the wisdom are much appreciated!

Kathy

Comments (46)

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Kathy,I just peel the old stamps off and add the new stamps. I have never had a problem sending or receiving used Bubble envies. As far as the bar codes,I have only received a few with this and it peels off easily. As long as the postage is new and there are no stamp marks on it ,it will be fine.I always add tape to the corner where the postage goes and most of the time where the address labels are also,so the person that receives can easily peel off the old and replace them with the new.This also extends the life of the bubble envelope. I think it is great you are trying so hard to do everything just right! :)
    Look foward to trading with you! :)

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much! So, if I add a strip of tape behind the labels and stamps, it makes it easier for someone else to reuse. I appreciate all the help!

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Anytime! :D

• medontdo
    16 years ago

she's nicer than me!! LOL i just put my stamps over the other stamps, LOL :')) she packages everything nicely too!! :'))

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Oh Michelle,all yours have arrived to me very nicely packaged! :) As a matter of fact the last seed envelopes were very neat,I couldnt believe how well the seeds stayed in them with no tape! Those were Post Its right?

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Kathy

Something I like to do is write my own address on the envelope, then take a peice of paper, or index card, and write the person that I am sending the SASBE on the index card and tape the index card right over my own addie...this way when the person receives the envie, they can just remove the index card address, and dont have to label the envie !!

I always add a note telling them that this has been done, also with a thank you note, with my address written on the back just incase they misplace the envelop ...

Good luck with your new trades, but be warned...it is soooooo addictive...BTW anything special you are looking for ?

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Excellent idea flwrs4ever! Too last for this time, but I will certainly remember it for next! I am still looking for some things. Anything that will attract hummingbirds, things like Canterbury Bells,Foxglove and Snapdragons. I also like herbals like Primrose, feverfew and I would really adore having some Texas Bluebonnets since I'm from Texas and really miss seeing them everywhere now that I've moved to Oklahoma. I'm also looking for some Azaleas. I grew up in SW Louisiana and it's like the Bluebonnets, I miss seeing them everywhere. I'm also still looking for veggies and herbs like Chamomile. After having to move suddenly to escape a stalking ex-husband, I don't have much for a garden, either flower,veggie or herb. I'm doing a couple SASBE for some wonderful things and a couple of wonderful people are sending me Surprise! packets. I am really looking forward to getting everything! I am going to do some winter sowing and a LOT of container planting. So anything would be very much appreciated!

And what's this about PostIts? As seed envelopes?

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

I take a black marker and mark out the red cancellation stamps to the extent they would be exposed. I have had one come back marked as cancelled when it was not simply because some of the red ink remained.

The taping idea is great.

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

LOL... leave it to Kym to get the addiction started!...lol...

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Who me ???????( snicker...snicker...)

Angie, BTW I have seeds ready for ya..so I can feed UR addiction...grin

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

I got yours ready too. Just need to take one more look at your wants to be sure I dont have anything else for ya! :)
    Oh the wonderful world of seed pushing...I love this addiction and will never seek help for it!...lol...at least I am not in denial anymore! :P

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

Would someone please tell me the proper size BE to use. I went to the store looking for some today and all I could find were 6 x 10 (I think lol). These seem kind of large for seeds. I have some SASBE's to respond to and need to get my envelopes in the mail ASAP. Some insight would be greatly appreciated!
    Em

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Emsgarden! I'm using the 6x9 BEs and they seem to work great.

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info Jaleeisa. I was having trouble posting on here and have sent you an email. I will try to send this one and see what happens.

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

More than welcome! Just happy to pass along some of the help and advice given to me!

Kathy

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

Kathy - another question please. When I am responding to SASBE, do I address the BE to the person and put it inside another envelope or does the one I address to them get reused and sent back to me? I am so clueless! lol Thanks again for your help.

Em

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

I think sasbe (Self Addressed Bubble Bubble Envelope) just invites confusion.

Possibly it would be less confusing if they were referred to as BEAS (Bubble Envelope and Stamps). I think a lot of the actual instructions then ask too to include one's member name, a return address label, and maybe a list of the seeds that were wanted.

One envelope is all that I have ever used or seen used.

Sue

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Em and welcome! Well, I asked the same question a while back. Here's how most do it:

Take the bubble envelope, put a piece of clear packing tape over where you would put the stamps (keep that one narrow), one over where you would put the address your sending it to, and another over the place where you would put your address. Then write the addresses on a piece of paper and tape over the tape you put in place. This way they can be removed without tearing up the envelope. Inside, put your list of wants or any other details of the trade in a note, along with the stamps to return it to you and something like an address label or your address written out for them to put on the front to mail it back to you. This way it usually only takes one stamp to mail it to them and they have everything inside to get it back to you. Then put another piece of packing tape over the flap rather than using the glue on the envelope. This way it can be opened without tearing it up.

Then when you get it back, you can just take everything off, and the tape protects the area where things go, so you can reuse them again and again!

Another way is to go ahead and write your address directly on the envelope, THEN tape over the areas. Then when you mail it, tape a piece of paper with their address on it over yours in the right side. Then they can just remove their address and stick an address label or a piece of paper with their address on the left hand corner (you could include that already done for them inside the envelope so all they have to do is tape it on)

I hope I haven't confused you more. I've learned so many neat things here and am really happy to be able to share it with someone else! You'll really enjoy GW and the people here. They're wonderful and generous and I am really enjoying getting to know some of them!

Kathy

16 years ago

This way it usually only takes one stamp to mail it to them and they have everything inside to get it back to you.
    One stamp will not cover postage on a bubble envelope. It will either be returned to the sender, or the receiver will owe postage, I'd guess maybe 99% of the time. Most empty bubble envelopes cost 80cents to mail...or 'should' anyway.

There is a big postage debate going on now. You might want to read some of the other threads her on the conversation side.

Sue

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're right, Sue. Sorry, Em. That was my mess up. I shoulda proofread that before I posted. :(

Grr, I know this thing does this to stop spammers, but I had to change the subject line some for it to let me post my apology!

• emsgarden
    16 years ago

Sue and Kathy - I think I did it correctly except on the first two I sent out I did not use tape to seal it. I hope that they can get it open and reclosed without problems. Also the tape I put for the stamps was kinda large. I will know better next time. Thanks for educating me!
    Em

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're very welcome, Em. Happy planting!

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Kathy, it is wonderful that you are stepping up to help out!:)

• jaleeisa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Angie!

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

OH, goodness, this was enlightening. I just had to bump it. It answered tons of my questions. Any other tips/advice that you guys/gals want to share?

~Angela

• token28001
    15 years ago

I have terrible handwriting some days depending on how much coffee I drank. So I print labels using Microsoft Word. It leaves me a record of who I've sent envelopes too which I can cross reference with the emails. I also print out the emails to include in any envelope I send out. That way, if something is missing, it's clearly my fault and I can fix it right away. Plus, no one has to worry about writing my name and address and I can cover old labels with new ones for one way packages.

I also have to use 3 stamps for nearly all envelopes I send from my post office. I've sent a couple from my mailbox with 2 stamps, but I'm curious to know if the recipient has been charged extra. Even the USPS website says these are large envelopes and cost $0.83 to mail.

15 years ago

I also have to use 3 stamps for nearly all envelopes I send from my post office.

Token28001,
    Please see the thread at the link below. If you would like to be a part of working together in getting together a mass mailing boxed up and sent to the Postmaster General, drop me an email. I think getting his attention may be the only way to get this nationwide problem addressed and taken care of.

Bubble Envelopes-are you being charged correctly?

Thanks!

Sue

• medontdo
    15 years ago

token, how big are the envi's you use??

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

About getting the postmarks off of used bubble envelopes... It is easy to do with packing tape. Put a piece of tape over the stamped area and rub on it like your doing a scratch off lottery ticket and then lift off the tape. A fine upper layer of the envelope comes off(but not enough to harm it) and the ink does too.
    This works with most marks on the bubbles except heavy black marker ink.
    Remy

• token28001
    15 years ago

Sue,

I went to the PO today with a stack of envelopes. Even the ones with Golden Raintree and Sweet shrub seeds weighed in at $0.83. I had one that was going to my sister that came in over that. Not sure why given it was the same envelope. I asked the clerk if I could mail these from home. She told me as long as they are under 2 ounces, I would be fine with two stamps. I'm going to hold her to her word. I'll let oyu know if I find out anyone gets billed.

Medontdo: I buy 10 packs of envelopes from Wal-Mart. They're less than $5. I believe they're 4 x 7. You'll be getting one soon. I send out 12 this morning. LOL

15 years ago

She told me as long as they are under 2 ounces, I would be fine with two stamps.

Sheesh...up to and including 1 OZ is 83 cents.

1.1 OZ up to and including 2 OZ is $1.

What were they thinking?

When mailing numerous packs of seeds, or someone is sending you numerous seeds for postage, it is better to use a larger envy, say 6X9 as the seeds can then best be distributed and taped down and still keep it under 3/4" thick, qualifying it for the Large Envelope rate as opposed to parcel.

Sue

15 years ago

I am really enjoying the tidbits of great info! I just bought a bunch of stamps at the post office for 80 + 3 cents each so I could send them from home... BUT, we have one of those "community" boxes a couple houses down from me and my envies don't fit through the little slit hole (just almost fit, but not quite... grrrrrr).

Anyways, between that being an issue and me not having a postal scale at home, I am still going to the post office... uggggh... now, they're overcharging me depending on what person is behind the counter. The receipt says to go to http://gx.gallup.com/pos to tell us about your recent postal experience.... hmmmmmm... I think I'd like to do that... LOL

I really like the tip on getting 10 bubble envies at Wallie World for $5 (I hope they're not the thick bubblies) and the ones on how to reuse the ones you're sent and being careful how you send yours out so others can reuse them. NEAT-O!!!! Again, thanks everyone!

~Angela

• token28001
    15 years ago

You're right Sue. She quoted me the wrong rates. Sheesh.

So far, I've only had one envelope that was stuffed. The rest were pretty flat. I've found I can fit 4 of the small ziplock baggies in these envelopes without any problems.

I'm going to continue putting 3 stamps on mine if I mail from home. I'd hate to know I'm getting seeds and costing someone postage.

15 years ago

Last week responded to a seeds for postage offer and sent out my bubble, with an address label, stamps, and a note inside.
    I got the same envy back, with seeds in it, and someone somewhere along the postal line had stamped it in big black letters POSTAGE DUE. Someone else somewhere along the postal line had scribbled out the Postage Due with a black ink pen. I'm not opening it until I show it to my postmaster and have him determine whether or not it meets the requirement of being under 3/4". I know it is under 1 OZ as I have a postal scale and it was .7 OZ. I'm not sure just what I will do with it after that, as I want to open it and see what goodies I got. I may ask my Postmaster to write the correct charge on it, and sign it, along with his title. I will then forward it on to the Postmaster General along with the others.

I wonder who was correct...the one who thought there was postage due, or the one who scribbled it out.

Sue

15 years ago

*UPDATE*

Kathy - Thanks SO much for the info you posted. I've used your suggestions on how to set up the envelope for reuse on almost all my trades now. I wish others were doing the same for me!

Tom (Token28001) - When I got your package with just 83 cents, it did NOT have postage due. Yours was one of the few I've gotten that was less than $1 in postage. I would rather you send it with correct postage from your home than to go into the post office and be over-charged!

Remy - Great idea for getting the postmarks off envelopes! The tape trick works like a charm and doesn't destroy the envelope. I've used this idea to also get rid of addresses as you said it would. Thanks!

Sue - Interesting on the postage due and then not due issue... uggggh.... grrrr.... %$*^#&*$%#@!#@$%$%#@

Also, I wanted let everyone know that I found the "thin" bubble envies that can measure in at less than 1/4" if you don't have many seeds in them for smaller trades and smaller seed varieties. They won't work for the larger seeds like corn or beans. I found them at Wal-Greens. They are Scotch brand from 3M. They are #0 size, 6x9 inch. They were in a bin that had a bunch of other bubble envies that were bigger. This one was priced 3 for $1.98. Technically this should mail for 42 cents if it stays under 1/4" thick. Again, it will not work for larger trades.

I wish everyone was buying these and using them. These are the kind I would love to reuse. I am sending them out and would like to get some back so I can use them again. They protect the seeds perfectly, so there's really no need to get the traditional "thick" bubble envelopes.

Plus, I did take note that they could be cut in half lengthwise and put inside a regular envy as padding very easily and fit almost perfectly. It's like they were made for each other. (LOL) As an added bonus, the regular envy rarely gets tagged for being overcharged at the post office!

Soooo.... Anyone want to start buying bubble mailers from Scotch by 3M? Again, they're #0 and are 6x9 inch envies available for purchase at Wal-Greens.

~Angela

15 years ago

Sue - Interesting on the postage due and then not due issue..
    I just today got into town and met my postmaster after scheduling the appointment yesterday. He looked at that still unopened envy and just shook his head. He also looked at another one I received in that was unopened, and was overcharged.
    He is writing up an email that he will send to me, stating that he verified those unopened envelopes were indeed overcharged. Those envies, a copy of his email, and some other envies will all go to the Postmaster General along with some other things.

• luvsgrtdanes
    15 years ago

For serious traders who trade a lot!! Cheap bubbles!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheap supplies

15 years ago

Thanks for the link, but I just wanted to point out that they are less expensive on ebay, if you don't mind not knowing how thick or thin your bubble envy is before you buy it. Maybe you could buy them on ebay after asking how thick they are? Maybe the seller would measure them?

~Angela

15 years ago

100 of a 6' X 9" is just $19.40 and that includes free shipping. That's a great price IMHO....less than 20 cents a piece, besides being a really nice size for sending numerous varieties and taping them down.

Are there ebay sellers that are cheaper than that with the shipping included? I'm not concerned so much with thickness, so long as they are not huge bubbles that would throw an envy to a parcel rate with seeds included in it. Anything I mail is usually for numerous packs anyway...making it a large envy rate....a few HUGE giveaways go into the parcel rate.

Sue...who occasionally has huge giveaways when she sees a newbie that needs some enabling.....evil laugh...

• luvsgrtdanes
    15 years ago

I've never seen them that cheap on eBay...they usually rip you off on shipping!

15 years ago

I've seen them for just 15 cents a piece including shipping.... someone told me they got theirs for 10 cents each, but I haven't found any for that little...

~Angela

15 years ago

LOL... if I ever get more addicted to trading than I am right now, I found a great source for 8 cents bubblies... you gotta buy 1000, though.... LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Bargain Bubblies in Bulk

• graanieb
    15 years ago

I've often enclosed large peel and stick label with my address on it, easy to stick over the envelope being sent to me or anyone...but am going to use tape before labels, at least sometimes, great hint, many others, thank you, great thread, as I've often said---always can learn more.

GB-Bea

15 years ago

Well, I got some envies today on ebay, but they weren't 8 cents a piece, but then I didn't have to get 1000 of them either.

I got 250 of them for $31.01 5" x10" ...for a cost of 12.4 cents a piece. I'm set now for a while. hmmmm...in checking the closed auctions, I see they have sold for a lot less at times...oh well...I needed them badly and they are still quite a bargain.

This is the same ebayer that has the nice postal scales so cheaply. I saw some had an opening bid of 96 cents, with 15.87 shipping and they got no bids on some of them. What a steal at about $17.00 total.
    Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Bubble envies...all sizes

15 years ago

Awesome, Sue! I was looking at his auctions as well. LOL

Could you tell me if they're the 'thin' ones when you get them in? That really is a steal.... ;-)

~Angela

15 years ago

Could you tell me if they're the 'thin' ones when you get them in?
    I'm guessing by 'thin' you mean them being less than 1/4" when empty.

No, these won't be 'thin' like that. They have 3/16" bubbles (per the listing), so they will be approx 3/8" excluding the paper envy on both sides...so they will go as large envy rate then...(if kept under 3/4" of course). Having the larger dimensions like it does (5" X 10") will be great for sending numerous varieties (taped down of course) while still meeting the 3/4" (or less) dimension of a large envy.

Sue

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs