Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
20 3' X 4' old posts-what would you do with them?

Posted by chemocurl zone 5/6 S INDIANA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 24, 10 at 9:22

I just called about 20 3" X 4" posts listed on Freecycle and the offerer is to return my call (assuming I was lucky enough to be the first one to respond).

I'm thinking setting several of them in a row and growing vines on them, ie morning glories, sweet peas, cardinal vine, sort of an annual living privacy fence.

Maybe build a really nice compost structure with 2 or 3 separate bins?

Maybe build some sort of a structure to contain my 'good' mulch when I buy it by the truckload? The existing one isn't big enough and is pretty haphazard and shoddy built with various sized concrete blocks.

hmmm...I just remembered I have a bunch of old salvaged fence boards stored in a friend's old chicken house. Oh my the possibilities are endless.

What would you make or do with some free posts and wood?

Oh...then too I could maybe make a big coldframe...or raised beds? Score!

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 20 3' X 4' old posts-what would you do with them?

I've been using my fence post for old roses to grow on,the climbing rose.Some I will put wooden slats/small pieces of boards across the pole so many ft apart to help it climb,another I plan to just tie the canes to the pole and let it drape down when it reaches the top.I might put a bird house on top.It sounds like a great find.
Debbie

o

Oh Debbie, that is something I had not thought about and even have some great new roses I got in some trades in a holding bed that really need to get moved out this year.

Well the offerer finally returned my call Thurs PM after I I had almost given up hope of getting them, thinking someone beat me to them. I went to pick them up yesterday PM, and there must be 50 of them! I got about 1/2 or more on my little truck and will go back today to get the rest of them. With 50 of them, I can use them for numerous projects.

Whoo-Hoo! Come on Spring.

Sue

o

depending on how long those were and the condition they was in there would be numerous usages for me in the flower beds as well as the vegetable beds. Nice size to build a mini green house out of with shelves. That way I could start my seed earlier and if I had a warmer place to put the mini greenhouse, I would even put wheels on it so where I could roll it inside and out

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here