Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

News story on one of our own members-REMY!

I thought this deserved a thread of its own as opposed to the link being hidden within another thread.

Pictured in the link below is Remy, Wegmans meal coach and produce expert, teaching pupils from an elementary school in Niagara Falls about different fruits and vegetables.

The article is in the Feb 9th, 2009 issue of the The Buffalo News

Congratulations Remy, on your great 'position' at Wegmans Food Markets, ranked 5th on Fortune magazineÂs annual list of the "100 Best Places to Work."

Now I gotta ask. Why are you wearing a cap, and not one of the cool hats like the children were given?

You never cease to amaze me!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: The complete article

Comments (20)

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Good job Remy!!Sounds like a nice place to work.
    -B

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Way to go Remy.

We are proud of you. 3 cheers for Remy

Fran

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Wow Remy! You are such an interesting person,the more I find out about you the more I like you girl! And you are as cute as a button,too ! :)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And there is more on our famous Remy at the link below!

A May 17th 2008 article covered Remy and how she likes to add plants that "add elements of visual and gustatory surprise to her landscape."...their words, not mine...lol

Here is a link that might be useful: By JUNE FLETCHER, The Wall Street Journal

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

That's OUR Remy! Way to go!

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Congrats REMY. I love that you were teaching kiddos. We know that atleast a couple got it and you did that. CONGRATS and changing the lives of children and educating them. And for being a great person.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Sue,
    You silly woman, you didn't need to post this, but thank you.
    "Why are you wearing a cap, and not one of the cool hats like the children were given?" LOL!! The black cap is bad enough. I could just were a hair net, but that looks goofy too unless you've got really short hair.

Thank you all : )

Gardenmom,
    I do love to teach the kids. It is especially nice when parents come in later and tell me their kid is eating better because of me.
    Remy

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Very cool! Your job is rewarding AND one of the top places to work? Good for you! Way to go!
    Sharon

• blue_ivy
    15 years ago

Wow, Remy!
    What a rewarding job! Working with plants AND (at least sometimes?) kids - what a great combination!

I bet you have a wealth of unusually keen knowledge - I may just be sending more questions your way! : )

(Sorry being slow on the response time - I tend to check the conversations side less frequently.)

Thanks for sharing, by the way. I like being able to have a little better glimpse into GW-er's lives.

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Remy, it's great to see your efforts recognized! You are a very special person!

Hey, isn't that our Jeanne and Michelle mentioned in that same WSJ article?

Kathy

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, isn't that our Jeanne and Michelle mentioned in that same WSJ article?

Well, Yes it is 'our' Jeanne, aka sandlapper_rose

Jeanne....This spring, she started an "odd, odder, oddest" seed swap on an online gardening forum, and received seeds for Cinnamon Basil, Green Zebra tomatoes and Apple Green eggplants. "I'm always interested in something new," she says....Plus there is more!

Congrats to sandlapper_rose for getting the word out there about about collecting and growing the Odd, Odder, Oddest - The Incredible Edibles!

Now, which Michelle is it? Help us out here.

Sue

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Jeanne got contacted by the reporter. The reporter must of been doing an internet search and came upon the swap that Jeanne was hosting that month, "Odd, Odder, Oddest." Jeanne told the reporter that she really didn't know much about unusual veggies she was just the swap hostess for the month, but she knew a lady in NY not involved with the swap who did, me. So the reporter contacted me and we talked for quite some time. She didn't get everything right, but the article was nice so no griping here. Michelle, I believe, was another person involved the swap that month.
    Remy

• SusanC
    15 years ago

That's so cool, Remy; It's nice to 'see' you after all these years of trading! It sounds like you have a fun job.

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Thanks Sue, for making us aware of this! Remy, you are too cool!
    Alana

• divahethr
    15 years ago

Wow congratulations! That is so cool! Awesome! That is so neat to read!
    I miss Wegmans I grew up in Rochester there's nothing like it anywhere.

• natalie4b
    15 years ago

Remy rocks!!!!

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks again everyone.

Diva,
    I know what you mean. When I leave the area, I really miss it. Oh, and when they open new stores like down in VA, it is mass hysteria! I'm hoping to go to the Collegeville, PA opening since I heard new openings are so much fun. All the customers are happy! And also so I can visit a GW friend who lives nearby, so it would be doubly nice.
    Remy

• graanieb
    15 years ago

Wow Remy, this is so great, what can be expected from you...thanks for posting about it Sue.

Love reading positive stories especially about friends in GW.

GB .... Bea

• medontdo
    15 years ago

that is so awesome Remy!! especially how you teach them kids!! i wish more people were like that!! in our school district, when the kids were in there, they had a lady that would come around and teach them about the fruits and vege's, and they would hava few days i think where they would do this chef combo thing. and they'd tell the kids that chef combo always tries something at least 1 time before he decides if he likes it or not. well that really helped with tabor. with talla it was all about fairie stuff. LOL it didn't matter how good for you it was!! i had to make up some kinda unrealistic story only a child would believe!! **big smile**
    ohhh ya!! Congradulations!! LOL i always forget!! LOL Hugs ~Medo

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

Wow you are famous, nice story!

Annette

Sponsored