Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kms4me

GW Expanding its Focus?

kms4me
13 years ago

I found the following in my inbox this morning. Areas with _______________ is where I took out names or email addresses.

[This message originated at GardenWeb]

__________________ (email address)

Hello

How are you today, I hope all is well with you,My name is ______________________,i am a single girl never been married, I just went through your profile at this dating site, i am interested in having a relationship with you, I will also like to know you the more, please kindly write to me through (____________________) so that I can send you more details about myself Including my picture,Yours Sincerely

I want to add that I have no profile on any dating site anywhere. Curious.

Comments (17)

• aquawise
    13 years ago

OMG! I got the exact same email this morning. Sounds like a hacker got to someones email list. I am 57 years old, !!! I have ZERO interest in a dating site. LOL I hate this kind of email.

• NancyPlants
    13 years ago

I got the same email.
    Didnt notice the poster in 'seed exchange', 'round robin' or 'wintersowing' forums...haha
    Seriously tho, kinda creepy.
    I'm new here, not sure how to report this to the powers that be.
    Anyone know?

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

I got it too. Yuck.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

Hi kms4me,

Hmmmm....I am positive that someone is up to NO good and has certainly violated the GW Terms of Service by sending you the spam/scam email.

In looking at the original email, does it appear to have a member name in front of the 'from' email address?

If so, what is it? I see no problem with posting the offending member's name publicly for all to see and be aware of. The member name then needs to be reported to GW via the Contact Us link found in the green banner at the bottom of any GW page

Sue...rbb

Here is a link that might be useful: Google results when searching i am a single girl never been married, I just went through your profile

13 years ago

Does anyone see what looks like a member name in front of the from address? I know the member name usually shows in front of the address on emails sent via GW, but it doesn't show for others.

Do you suppose it is just a matter of time until we all receive one? I haven't gotten mine yet.

Sue

• NancyPlants
    13 years ago

I just sent a copy of the email to GW... used the 'contact us' link at the bottom of the page.

• NancyPlants
    13 years ago

Heres the email as I received it:
    Flag this messagekenndraveye@yahoo.comSaturday, February 19, 2011 4:39 AMFrom: "kenndragirl" Add sender to ContactsTo: nancybhrn@yahoo.com[This message originated at GardenWeb]

kenndraveye@yahoo.com
    Hello
    How are you today, I hope all is well with you,
    My name is Miss Kenndra Matins Veye ,i am a single girl never been married, I just went through your profile at this dating site, i am interested in having a relationship with you, I will also like to know you the more, please kindly write to me through (kenndraveye@yahoo.com) so that I can send you more details about myself Including my picture,
    Yours Sincerely
    Miss Kenndra Matins Veye

Now I'm gonna go to the local ~Garden show~
    wooohoooo
    :)

13 years ago

Thanks Nancyplants.

hmmm...she just joined today, so her page won't be found until after GW does its cycling thing sometime at night...I think anyway.

Google results on her email addy...she's even bilingual.kenndraveye@yahoo.com is everywhere

Here is a link that might be useful: kenndragirl's page

• kms4me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awww... and I thought I was special...

The reason I kept her addie and "name" out of the original posting was I thought it might be some kind of honest mistake and I didn't want to embarrass anyone.

Actually I am relieved that I was not the only recipient, though I wonder if we should be worried that our computers have been exposed to some kind of virus or program.

Kate

• mellen
    13 years ago

I'm wondering if LOTS of people received this. I did, too. Made me sick to my stomach. Hope GW powers-that-be pursue this!

• NancyPlants
    13 years ago

I received an email response from the 'GW powers-that-be'. They said the account that generated the emails has been banned from GW.

• luvsgrtdanes
    13 years ago

It's not just GW they are spamming...I received something very similar from a photo website.

How are you today ?,
    my name is gift, I'm a young caring fair lady I saw your profile today and i became interested in knowing you the more and that was why i did not delay in contacting you i will like you to contact me with this E-mail Address ( gift24desmond@yahoo.com ) so that i will give you my picture and also tell you more about my self .I will be waiting to read from you because i have SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT to tell you.thanks.
    gift24desmond@yahoo.com
    gift

If you google that address it comes up all over too. I got three of them all the same address but the wording was a bit different in each one.

• NancyPlants
    13 years ago

I also started getting odd emails after visiting a photo site to look at garden pictures. This is one of them:
    Flag this message(MANAGING DIRECTOR)Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:14 AMFrom: "ASIEDU" Add sender to ContactsTo: undisclosed-recipientsAttention: Dear,

I have been in search of someone with this last name so when I saw your name I was pushed to contact you and see how best we can assist each other. I am MR DANEIL ASIEDU a Banker (MANAGING DIRECTOR) in ZENITH BANK ACCRA GHANA,WEST AFRICA I believe it is the wish of God for me to come across you on internet now. I am having an important business discussion I wish to share with you which I believe will interest you because, it is in connection with your last name and you are going to benefit from it.

One of our customer a citizen of your country had a fixed deposit with my bank in 2004 for 36 calendar months; valued at (Eighteen Million, Four Hundred Thousand US Dollars) the due date for this deposit contract was this 16 of March 2007. Sadly our customer was among the death victims in the May 26 2006 Earthquake disaster in Java, Indonesia that killed over 5,000 people. He was in Indonesia on a business among them.

It is therefore upon this discovery that I now decided to make this business proposal to you and release the money to you as the next of kin to the deceased for safety and subsequent disbursement since nobody is coming for it and i don't want this money to go into the Bank treasury as unclaimed Bill. The Banking law and guideline here stipulates that if such money remained unclaimed after four years, the money will be transferred into the Bank treasury as unclaimed fund.

Last week my Bank Management requested that PETER should give instructions on what to do about his funds, if to renew the contract.

I know if bank management did not see who claim the fund it will be lodge to the bank treasury, so I don't want such to happen. That was why when I saw your name last name similar, I was happy and I am now seeking your co-operation to present you as Next of Kin/ All modalities of this transaction have been carefully worked out and once started will not take more than seven (7) working days. It is better that we claim the money, than don't allowing the Bank Directors to lodge the money to the bank treasury. I am not a greedy person, so I am suggesting we share the funds equal, 50/50% to both parties, my share will assist me to start my own company which has been my dream. Let me know your mind on this and please do treat this information as TOP SECRET. We shall go over the details once I receive your urgent response strictly through my personal email

address: daniel.asiedu2011@yahoo.com
    Phone: +233-2673 94947

bank web site for my profile: http://www.zenithbank.com.gh/board.cfm

Regards,
    DANIEL ASIEDU.
    (MANAGING DIRECTOR)

• dorisl
    13 years ago

I didn't get it, lucky I never got around to updating my profile to show my email addy.

bummer, I was lookin for something to do this weekend....

j/k
    ;)

• aquawise
    13 years ago

OMG! I got that very same one just yesterday. Now I want to know how they got our info to! Crazy world we live in these days.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I received a very similar email in late Dec:

Hello
    My name is sofia. i saw your profile today at[forums.gardenweb.com] and became intrested in you,i will also like to know you more,and if you can send an email to my email address,i will give you my pictures here is my email address (sofia4u4life@yahoo.com.ph) I believe we can move from here! Am waiting for your mail to my email address above because i have alot to tell you,
    Lot's of love,Miss sofia.

I even asked Sue about it at the time. I Googled the name and found multiple images with variations on the name. They are from some foreign "dating" service aka hookers.

I've been getting the "I'm in need of your help to claim funds" type spam for ages. They haven't originated at GW but my address could easily have been picked up here.

• medontdo
    13 years ago

i never get those kinds of things, but i use spywearblaster and spybot search and destroy, it keeps those kinds of things out (the plus side, its FREE!! **grin**) you use them together, one runs in protective mode and the other you have to run it your self like at the end of the day or something like that. LOL but it also can check the email i guess?? LOL

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner