Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How is this possible?

Posted by christinmk z5b eastern WA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 13:25

Ok, I got a question that I've had in my mind for awhile but haven't got around to posting.

How is it possible for somebody to email you thru GW (for a trade) but NOT have a member profile?? I try and look them up on "Search For Members" but find zippo about them. Usually when I look up a member it will at lest show their user name, date they joined, etc. I put their member names in the search box and selected it to search the entire site (not just 'this forum') to see if I could find posts from these people. Nothing still.

A couple of them were requests for overseas trades (even looked them up on the their countries forums and the European trading forum) and found nothing, which made me the more suspicious.
They all seemed a little off to me, so I didn't do any of the trades. But I am curious to know how someone can email you and not have a member page. Is there somewhere, some search feature, I am not aware of to look up a member and when they joined, etc?
Thanks much
CMK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How is this possible?

CMK~Apparently, there are 'issues' with the search function. If you go to your own page, erase your member name in the address bar and replace it with the one you're looking for, you should get results. Good luck.

o

Is there somewhere, some search feature, I am not aware of to look up a member and when they joined, etc?
There has been some problems with the member search for some time now. It won't bring up their member page, but will then 'maybe' be found if you search a few days or weeks later.

Here is a sure fire way to find their page.

1-bring up 'your' member page. The URL will look like this http://www.gardenweb.com/auth/nph-logincheck.cgi?action=public_profile&user=christinmk
2-delete your member name off of the end of it. It will look like this...http://www.gardenweb.com/auth/nph-logincheck.cgi?action=public_profile&user=
3-now add the other member's name on to the end of it and hit enter. It should bring up their Member Page. Remember too, that if someone joins GW, that their Member Page will not be found via a search until at least the next day as it has to cycle through (or something like that) GW at night.

Please try the above instructions and let me know if you find their page.

Sue...rbb

o

I feel like a 'wordy' echo.

o

Oh that is amazing Sue!!! This seems so much easier than having to go thru the "Search For Members" step.

I didn't keep one of the member's names (number of months ago) but I entered in the recent one and it did come up. Kind of funny....the person said in the email that they were from Europe, while their member page states 'Canada'. Please tell me GW isn't messing up where we live now too!!! Lol.

Thanks again for the info
CMK

o

What's going on lately that there's all these weird technical issues? I remember the admin posting messages that they were revamping some things several months back. Is it all related to that?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here