Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitimpinai

Endless supply of seed envelopes

pitimpinai
18 years ago

Thanks to you all, I now have a huge supply of seed envelopes.

Here is a link that might be useful: My envelope supply.

Comments (16)

• butterflychaser
    18 years ago

I've tried everything for packaging seeds. But the easiest and best method I've found is the little ziplock baggies, 100 for $1 at Walmart in the craft/jewelry dept. They're quick and easy and cheap. And they're see-thru. I like to see my seeds so I can watch for any sign of bugs. (Hollyhocks, hibiscus and others in the malvacea family are prone to bugs which reveal themselves after packaging.)

I used to make my own seed envelopes, but tiny seeds will leak out of them unless you tape them really well. Then they're impossible to open and you can't reclose them. If you glue them, a lot of times the tiny seeds will stick to the glue inside.

With the origami seed packages, I inevitably open them wrong and they'll "spring" and scatter seeds everywhere.

If you get tired of making your own, check Walmart, Hobby Lobby, office supply stores and other arts and crafts stores for the 2 x 3 ziplocks. They're really convenient and time-saving.

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

I think the handmade seed envies are addorable. I love to make them as well. I haven't had any seeds "leak" from them. If they are folded properly, the seeds should stay put. Leaving one flap untaped or unglued works as a spout for pouring in, or out the seeds. THen when you are done, slip that end back inside the other folder end that has been secrely taped and voila, done!
    Great pic's of your pretty seed packets!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Tina

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

very cool pitimpinai. I'm too lazy to make them. I'll just buy them.

:0)

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for the comments.
    I have used ziplock baggies too. In fact, I have 2000+ right now, but I still like to make paper envelopes.

Plastic baggies are not good if the seeds are not completely dry. I slip a small note re the seeds inside the pastic baggies instead of writing on them. That way the recipients can reuse the bags. However, a lot of people wrote on theirs. It is rather untidy to tape a label over the writing in order to reuse the bags.

I also am trying to recycle as much as I can. Using catalog pages is my little way of recycling. It relaxes me too. :-)

• heirloomtomato
    18 years ago

I think those envelopes are so cute! And it's nice to be able to recycle all those seed catalogs! I have to admit I usually use the zipper baggies from Wal-Mart though. For me they are quicker and I like to be able to see the seeds. I have on occasion used the templates from the site below to make seed envelopes. She has some really beautiful one's. They do cost money for ink and paper from your computer and take time to print out and glue together but they are fun to make if you have lots of spare time (something I don't usually have!) I only do them once in awhile. I made some for someone who was sending me a really special SASBE since they didn't want anything in trade. I figured everyone can always use extra seed envelopes!
    Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Envelope Templates

• roses_more_roses
    18 years ago

Karen,
    Thank you for the seed envelope template site! They are so cute. I usually won't take the time to do scrapbooking type of things, and I was able to do these. Im going to have my ten year old niece make a bunch, she will love making these. I think that I will use them for larger seeds. My regular source is also the Wal-Mart plastic zipper baggies.
    Diana

• heirloomtomato
    18 years ago

Diana;
    You're welcome! They have some nice 'bulk' seed envelopes. I saved a bunch of the templates on my computer. When I use them, I copy and paste into Microsoft Word (or you could use another program) this way I can click on the corners and resize them if I want them a bit smaller or to fit more on a page.

pitimpinai - sorry if I 'highjacked' your post ;o)
    Karen

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No problem. The more, the merrier. :-) I am always for homemade packets. Here's another site with pretty templates too:

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed packet templates

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

More templates:

Here is a link that might be useful: More templates

• michelelee
    18 years ago

I like the plastic baggies. For bugs (hollyhocks, hibiscus etc.) I will throw the seeds in the freezer for a day to kill anything. I got a big paper envie of Hibiscus seeds(this also happened with Hollyhocks) I opened it up and here comes an army of baby weevils marching up to the light (and my fingers)Gross!

Someone told me you can put a few grains of rice in plastic baggies to absorb excess moisture.
    I really like the little wax paper envies but can't find them anywhere. Anyone know where to get these?

Michele

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wax paper envelopes?
    Look here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Wax paper envelopes et al

• michelelee
    18 years ago

Thank you! Found a supplier!!!! Michele

• michelelee
    18 years ago

Found another supplier. Pretty inexpensive.
    Michele

Here is a link that might be useful: Glassine Envelopes

• heirloomtomato
    18 years ago

pitimpinai;
    Those other seed templates are so cute too - now even more choices! Now if I just had time to sit and cut and make all those, sigh! I do find the zipper bags easier but on a slow, lazy day, I might sit down and make some. ;O)
    Karen

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I'm bumping this up because someone asked about seed envelopes. Plus I'm adding a link : )
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: The Seed Site Envelopes

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Thanks sweetie!

I wish my printer printed color...grrrrr...just another thing on my wish list for now, below a new camera which is so badly needed.

Sue

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH