Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Postage on bubble envelopes-What are you paying?

How are your PO folks doing by now? I know that Proudgm03's PO says that all bubble envelopes are parcels and thus a minimum of $1.13 for one ounce or less....also said that if other POs are charging any less they could be fired....

Luckily my 2 local POs get it right and have been most helpful, pleasant, and nice to me when we discussed the new regulations concerning the things that determine the cost of a bubble envy.

How is everyone else's doing by now? I emailed the USPS and someone is to call me tomorrow. I know this is quite short notice, but I'm trying to find out just who is consistently still being overcharged.

Sue

Comments (66)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There is presently a discussion going on in 'Retail' there in Louisville covering these issues. She is to call me back later in the day.

Consumer Affairs in Louisville just called me back. It is now being discussed in the Eastern Region Office, and that covers 8 states.

She will call me back again once she finds out the outcome of the discussions at Region concerning Retail.

Sue

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Thanks for your persistence and keeping us informed Sue!:)

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

I have been paying 80 cents at the PO for a small BE with 5-6 pks of seeds.
    Did you know they also charge according to the zip code? Extra charge depending on where the envelope is sent

One that I mailed from home with two 42 cent stamps came back postage due--total $1.13. Three weeks after I added the extra postage and resent from home the BE was returned with the address label torn so address was unreadable, stamps were not canceled. Since the person lived in the next suburb over I took the BE to her home. I shop in that area so it wasn't an extra trip--should have delivered the seeds myself in the first place.

• ray.theiceman
    16 years ago

Oh and you might would know it, I read in the paper that postage is going up again in May. From 41 cents to 42 cents. All other mail is going up too. Thought you all might want to know that. :( Sorry. Don't shoot the messanger. Ray

• vbuff
    16 years ago

Forgive me if everyone has seen this before. If you go to http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/notices/not123/not123.pdf. and then go to page 20. There is a wonderful chart with every rate illustrated along with dimensions and price rates. Now I haven't mailed anything since I received this information from the Post Office, so I don't know how well it will be received....(but they are the ones that gave it to me) I have been charged the package rate for a small bubble mailer prior to receiving this chart. Maybe this will help all of us.

Vicki

• Lisa_H OK
    16 years ago

I just went to the post office yesterday....every one of my BE weighing one ounce or less was charged $1.13. I had a few that were over 1 ounce and I think they all went for $1.30. I was careful to keep all the seeds flat, there were no bulges.

I'll be happy to send you seeds if you will send me your address.

Lisa

• maria
    16 years ago

Now this is getting weird.

I went to the P.O. yesterday. Lisa, I mailed your seeds yesterday and was charged only 80¢. Please let me know if postage is due and I'll reimburse you.

These were the same clerks who were charging me $1.13 last week. Go figure.

Maria

• medontdo
    16 years ago

you all know from my other post that most generally i do get charged 1 stamp only when i'm careful but lately i haven't been that careful to make sure thay have been flat and all, so they have been 58 cents. hardly any higher, no ones said any postage due. and i've thought on one. errr maybe a little more but they said no. she weighed them.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Consumer Affairs Louisville called me back today as she said she would, but I was not home and missed her call. Hopefully I can reach her tomorrow.

mnswgal,
    Did you know they also charge according to the zip code? Extra charge depending on where the envelope is sent
    Where it is sent does not apply to First Class mail...that is anything that is under 13 OZ.

That is sad that your BE was returned twice, with the last time it being mutilated.

Ray,
    Oh and you might would know it, I read in the paper that postage is going up again in May. From 41 cents to 42 cents.
    Yes, I saw that along with a few other things going up. One thing that was mentioned was a 2 OZ Large Envelope will now be $1.00. No mention made of other weights going up for 'large envelopes', which most Bubble Envelopes are, if they are smaller trades and not bulging over 3/4 inch.

vbuff/Vickie,
    Yes, I think most all of us have seen that, thus the great debate over why the PO is charging for a parcel when they fall within the dimensions of the Large Envelope, when they are less than 3/4 inch thick.

Lisa_h
    I just went to the post office yesterday....every one of my BE weighing one ounce or less was charged $1.13.
    hmmmm...were they over 3/4" thick and not evenly distributed? Did the bulge police maybe catch you bulging?
    My postmaster got a good laugh when I told him how we were aware they should not be over 3/4" thick, yet sometimes the bulge police, caused problems.
    I'll be happy to send you seeds if you will send me your address.
    I'll email you.

Mia_r,
    These were the same clerks who were charging me $1.13 last week. Go figure.
    Great to hear! Maybe they got on board, just like the wonderful folks at my 2 local POs. We can hope so.

medontdo,
    so they have been 58 cents. hardly any higher, no ones said any postage due. and I've thought on one. errr maybe a little more but they said no. she weighed them
    So you are mailing small flat bubble envelopes for 58 cents from your PO?...or are you maybe packing them in an envy in a card with a little foam packing in it? Amazing you are being charged so little, though like I said above, They charged me just 58 cents for a small flat BE the other day.

Stick a fork in me...I'm done...and off to email Lisa.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

LOL ya know the smallest bubbler, i use them or the ones i get in the mail. some seeds i have put in a regular envi that are not gona get ruined, with a bubble surrounding them. one guy used some kinda thing you use to hold the bottom of your cups in the cabinets, and they came thru fine. and 1 stamp. those were pomegranite seeds.

Original Author
    16 years ago

From my local postmaster. I am awaiting a return call from Consumer Affairs In Louisville, clarifying things, and answering a few questions and requests I still have.

From what I understand, the matter has escalated to Washington, DC, and a clarification on the proper charges and handling of Bubble Envelopes will be sent to all Post Offices across the country. It will be in a National Publication to them.

I hope to get a copy of what it says, Publication Number, Date of publication, etc, and then will post it all here, likely in a new thread. Then members can print out the copy and present it to their POs if they still do not get it right....or let me know, and I will report them...lol. This will be in a National Publication, so it will apply to everyone, everywhere in the US!

Can you believe it? I'm kinda stunned that it is hopefully/ finally going to get fixed nationally.

Woohoo! Happy Days! The little guy can 'indeed' make a big difference.

Sue

• nuthatch_mo
    16 years ago

It depends on who waits on me as to what I pay. Sometimes its .80, sometimes 1.13. I received a Post Office Survey the other day about PO satisfaction. On the bottom in a section for comments/complaints I put in about the Bubble Envelope Crisis. I sort of gave up on complaining at the PO. I went to the Postmaster when it first started happening and he told them to charge .58, but I had to argue with them everytime I went in so now I just pay whatever they say and let it go.It wasn't worth the aggravation.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

sure hope its good news!!! ;'))

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

Sue,
    Any word on when this national publication will go out?

• intheforest
    16 years ago

Typically things run very slow with federal agencies, at least my branch, though the PO is an island unto themselves. If they work like mine though, I get referendums, new policies, memos, etc. all the time by e-mail that are sent to "all" branch employees (including those in Washington to seasonal park people like me.) It could be very fast. Lets all cross our fingers.
    Abbey

Original Author
    16 years ago

sure hope its good news!!! ;'))
    From what I understood my postmaster to say, it is indeed good for us who use bubble mailers.

Any word on when this national publication will go out?
    No word yet on when or just exactly what it will say. I will try to remember to reach her later today, (Wed.)

This has been such a mess since the rates changed, that I'll just be happy whenever the word gets out there, and things are made clear to the many workers just what should be charged. I appreciate everyone's input over these many long months of hashing, and rehashing this messy nightmare. Your input was valuable in me being able to convey to them just how bad, and widespread the problem really was. I made mention of many, if not all of the states that I knew of, that had members who were being consistently overcharged.

Sue

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i figure if anyone can do something it's you, LOL that's a good thing , by the way!! do you want to fix my insurance?? LOL :')) LOL

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Great news Sue! : )

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Sue,
    I went to the post office today with a few bubble mailers. I got a really smart employee. She was working with the dingbat who always slows things down causing a huge line. So because of the line, I got to hear her getting po at the other guy for doing stuff wrong, etc. lol.
    Anyway, I mail one to Canada first, and it costs 86 cents(69 cents for first class Canada and 17 cents for nonmachinable charge.) Then she apologizes that the next one for the US will cost $1.13. I tell her it is alright I know about it. I then tell her there is a big stink going on on the internet about the price because seed swapping is a big thing. She nods saying she knows and they had a meeting about bubble envelope postage just recently because everyone(different post offices) are charging different prices.
    I tell her I have a friend, along with others, on the internet that has been working on the situation and that a new policy clarification is suppose to happen. She said good and to let her know if I end up knowing more.
    Remy

Original Author
    16 years ago

Remy,

That is so funny, but cool. They know different POs are charging different prices, yet yours is one of them doing it consistently wrong...LMAO. When I originally talked to Consumer Affairs in Louisville, I mentioned everyone's states that had posted here, to let them know it was country wide....New York being one of them.

I keep meaning to call and find out the exact particulars (wording of the practice, and the date of the National Publication, and when it is expected to be distributed.) I've been meaning to call, but I just don't get much (if anything) off of my daily todo list.

Here is a little tip/hint, and I think it might help a lot of folks. A member (agirlsgirl-Angie) told me she squishes all of the air out of the bubble envy b4 taping the end down tight. I just happened to have one here to be mailed out, and since it had a hole punctured in it (don't ask...long dog story) I saw it was possible to squish the air out, and then tape over the hole. Once all of the PO folks get on board, it will be imperative to keep them under 3/4 inch to get the lower rate.

I don't think I mentioned it above, but Feb 7th (the day I sent my original email complaint to the USPS,) I also contacted CBS NEWS, with an email for Andy Rooney...suggesting he do a story on the not so recent rate increase fiasco. A couple of weeks later I got a reply, thanking me for writing, and that my email would be forwarded on to Mr. Rooney. I'm still waiting to hear from him though...lol.

Hopefully I will know more tomorrow that you can then give her a heads up in advance if her getting official notification.

Sue

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ok so i mail an sasbe to lilygrace with 4 stamps in it, and 1 stamp outside of it, which they weighed and measured down at my po and they said it was fine. well by the time it gets to her she said it has all these marks on it that she had to pay 79 cents for it. so i told her i wanted it back. for sure!! that particular envi. and i sent her the stamps, well for some reason i sent her 4 more stamps, duh!! brain fart. LOL well anyhow, that's my thing. she's in ct. that was way over!! i know that it was under 1/4" and i made the guide lines. but her po does them ( I even went to the post office and they told me they consider any sized padded envelope a "package": and they had to charge accordinly. They only accept 1 stamp on a regular envelope. Most padded envelopes go for 4 stamps..regardles of the weight. ) that's what hers does. that's sucks so bad!!!

Original Author
    16 years ago

and 1 stamp outside of it, which they weighed and measured down at my po and they said it was fine.
    You mean your PO measured, weighed and then just charged the one 41 cent stamp to mail a bubble envy? Was the BE in a 'regular' envelope?

so i told her i wanted it back. for sure!!
    By the time you get it back, there will be no proof that the rec PO was wrong in expecting more postage....because it has been opened and emptied of its original contents.

I have 2 here right now that were sent to me and were overcharged. One has a postal tape, and it plainly is NOT a parcel, and the other one has stamps, and some postal worker along the way chose to scribble in ink on it that there was postage due. I know it was along the way, as the writing is ink is on the top of the sticky tape the sender put on it when mailing to me. I'm taking them in to show my postmaster...who is on board by the way.

For those POs who seem to be charging correctly, it would be wise to have them put the postal tape postage on them...proof that that was what the sending customer was charged. I wonder if the PO in the receiving PO would dispute it and put postage due on it? Seems that is proof enough that some POs are not charging correctly. Let them duke it out to try and collect the postage due...lol

Sue...feeling feisty again tonight

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ya, but us being a small town po we don't have them meter thingi like all the others, so we can't put them other things on we have to put the right amount of stamps on, i wish there was a way we could just give the po the money and let them do it, yep and let them fight about it!! that was so not fair, se we only have two workers here, and they know i always ask them to make sure. so wouldn't that be like proof?? i'm still gonna ask her about it though and tell her that they still charged them and told her that there was postage due. it is nice to have people on our side! it would be so nice if the one guy from cbs or something like that would do a thing on it!! how cool would you be?? LOL :'))

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

okay, if I owe anyone any stamps because of these pesky post office indecisions, PLEASE let me know right away and I'll reinburse you. Everyone is so nice to share their seeds, I don't want them to have to pay postage too!
    Linda

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i know, i was thinking the same thing, i hope i don't owe anyone stamps. that'd be crazy!! i surely hpe theyd tell me!!!!

Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok...update.

I talked to my contact in Louisville in Consumer Affairs.
    I was told that the info/suggestion that was sent to DC was sent by an employee who was her acting supervisor at the time.
    Just because it was sent to DC for consideration, is no guarantee that 'they' will do anything with it...like post it in the National Publication. grrrr......

My thoughts then were what, if anything was going to be done. Would the employee who was acting supervisor ever get a follow up from DC as to what was going on or not? Would anyone in DC care? Would it get shuffled to the bottom of the stack and never see the light of day? DOES ANYONE CARE THAT THE GENERAL PUBLIC IS STILL BEING RIPPED OFF BY UNTRAINEDMy contact said she would brief her supervisor on what had happened, and then would have the supervisor give me a call.
    I'm hoping to get that call later today. Hopefully it won't be while I am gone to town.

I have in my possession a BE from OK. It is clearly a big envy, less than 1 OZ, and less than 3/4 inch thick. It has a postal tape charge of $1.13 on it for a parcel. I will be verifying with my (in the know) postmaster that the sender was overcharged. I will be contacting the USPS about the sender being reimbursed, and explain that I have the proof. I wonder how in the heck they are gonna handle that? Maybe if enough of us could do that, they would be forced to get something done. I have also thought about placing e some editorials in some of the bigger newspapers across the country. Who wants to draft a letter to the editors?

It just seems to me that the lack of action on their part is saying to the general public: "We are overcharging you. We know we are. We are aware there is a problem. We do not care. We are the USPS and we can do as we want to."

Well, I for one call it stealing

Yes...I am all upset again/still after what I was told today. I guess I was wrong in assuming that it was in the process of being taken care of. I almost feel like this is all back to square one.

Sure hope to hear from Andy Rooney soon. I think this whole mess might just have to be exposed big time to get the attention of the USPS and things taken care of.

Sue...stepping off her box for the night.

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

Sue,
    Lime and I did write the people in DC and they claim that $1.13 is correct. (The letter and reply is in another post somewhere on one of the forums.) Apparently they do not care.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Unbelievable! It's a down right shame. Please direct me to the post with the letter and reply.

Original Author
    16 years ago

My contact in Louisville (bless her heart and tenacity)called me this AM. She said her supervisor has sent a follow up email to DC, (thank goodness) in an attempt to try and find out the status of what the acting supervisor had sent them last month.

She also emailed me simple proof that BE are not parcels. I will be back on later today. I'm going to the PO and verifying the BE from OK was overcharged, and mailing out some seeds.

Remember. It aint over until the fat lady sings.
    Anyone hear any fat ladies singing?

Sue

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

no singing here!
    I have noticed with some of my return bubbles that the return addy and the actual address are mine. Prety smart, actually, then if there's postage due, then I can pay it since it looks like it was sent by me to me..(hoping that made sense)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

no singing here!! i am hoping to here of some good news!! :'))

Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok...update.

I took the seed trade BE (unopened) that lisa_h mailed me a while back. It met all requirements to be a Large Envelope. It had a postal tape on it with a charge of $1.13. The postmaster made a copy of it, and is going to forward it on. I still need to provide him with the address of the PO that overcharged. Lisa, I still have that and will call him with it tomorrow. If all goes well, it will channel through the system, and your PO will be made aware of their error. I intend to also file a complaint with the USPS for you to be reimbursed. I know it might sound petty, but that is the only way I think to get their attention, and for the employees in that PO to get on board. I will NOT let it rest until what they have stolen is reimbursed to you. They will likely have a hard time figuring just how to do that.

Next...My contact in Louisville sent me an email with the link below.

Here are a couple of the most important points on the sheet.
    Large Envelopes (Flats)
    The maximum size for large envelopes is 15" x 12" x 3/4" thick.
    # When a First-Class Mail item exceeds any one of the maximum measurements of a large envelope, it is classified and priced as a package (parcel).

First-Class Mail Quick Tips
    For padded bags (e.g., ReadyPost® "cushion mailer"), when the thickness is 3/4" or less and the item is flat-size and somewhat flexible, the item should be classified and priced as a large envelope.

OK...there is the proof. e.g., ReadyPost® "cushion mailer" are the white bubble envelopes sold by the PO themselves. There it is. BINGO! Black on White. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Additionally, I have a Xerox copy of the page from their Handbook of Fact Sheets. It includes the postal Bulletin # 22218 (10-25-07) page 16. If anyone would like a copy of it, just email me, and include your address. Please put in the subject line PO Bulletin.

I would like to scan it in to my computer, but am having problems getting that accomplished. I just dug out the printer/copier/scanner book, and will see if I can get it done. If I scanned it in, anyone could print it out, and take it into their PO and then the employees could read what they should have known all along.

No word yet on the suggestion that went to DC for clarification on all this...since BE are handled as parcels though they are charged as Large Envies.

Sue...who has fought the USPS enough for the day.

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

Sue,
    Here is the old postage post.

Original Author
    16 years ago

LMAO...yeah, I remember reading that BS...the problem was that you just didn't stick with it. I realize though that others likely don't have the time to spend on this ongoing battle of the USPS stealing from the general public everytime they overcharge their customers I wonder how they would like to face a class action law suit...lol.

I really enjoyed your analysis of the letter paragraph, by paragraph. Your last reply was really the best though and I'd like to share it all again for a good laugh on them (USPS)

There you have it, now you know. The confusion of the difference in mail rates has been made crystal clear. There has never been a problem with it at all. It's us. We're the problem. D@#% non-conforming postal patrons.

Proud...wanna mail me a BE so I will have proof your PO overcharged. I will pursue the matter until I am sure they get it right, if I have to call the PO myself repeatedly until they reimburse what they stole by overcharging.
    Better yet...give me their phone number and I will give them a call later today. Feel free to post it here, along with their addy...I've got unlimited long distance and will be snowed/iced in for days.

Say goodnight Irene.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

hmmmmmm.......are you totally bored???? LOL and totally pissed?? LOL and now totally happily pissed??!!! LOL i need to have the oone lady look at this!!! she's been way overcharged many times!! lilygrace!! i feel bad for her, :'((

Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I talked to the postmaster at the PO on Britton Rd in Oklahoma City today. (lisa_h's PO)
    I asked what it would cost to mail a 6" x 9" X 1/2 1 OZ bubble mailer. His reply was 80 cents.

I asked what it would be for a 11" X 15" X 1/2" 1 OZ bubble envelope. His reply was 80 cents.

I then told him that his window help did not know that as they were consistently charging $1.13 for any Bubble Envy. I told him I had one in my possession and that my postmaster had told me it was overcharged. He asked me for some numbers on the postage tape and he could then tell which employee had run the tape. I asked him about reimbursement, as I was reimbursing the sender, wanting to leave out the member who sent it to me. 9of course all this was a ruse) I was told I could get reimbursement at my local PO by filling out a form....yada, yada, yada...

He has 3 employees. I asked that he speak with them them separately about the cost to mail BE with the above dimensions. He agreed to do that, and I am to call him back Mon and find out what his window clerks tell him. I'd venture to say that within the next day or so, lisa_h will be able to mail a BE under 3/4" for 80 cents plus 17 cents for each additional ounce.

One down and how many to go...if'n I gotta do it one by one. I don't know how I missed the info provided above by sasanc. Alameda CA. I called and the phone rang about 15 times b4 someone answered. I found out they were quite busy and decided to call back later.

I just tried it again now and am getting a busy. I'll catch them soon though.

Ok...tried again and got a person after 13 rings. I explained I wanted to check some rates. Of course she started to direct me to checking on line for rates. Why does everyone assume that everyone has a computer, the internet, and is capable of researching the USPS for a rate? I explained that it was concerning mailing bubble envelopes and it wasn't clear as to what the charges was....little fib there. It is clear, it is just that it must be unclear to the window clerks at that Alamena CA location.
    Amyway, it being a Fri afternoon there, they had a long line. I found out Mon 8:30 might be a good time to call.

sooo...struck out on that one today, but they have not heard the last from me.

Anyone else wanna provide their PO info. No names (member or otherwise) will be mentioned other than mine when I speak with them. inquiring about charges and the problem with some (or possibly all) of the clerks.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i'm asking for lilygrac'es po # she had LOTS of problems with hers. maybe she will give it to me. if not if she don't live in to big of a town i'll look it up. LOL :'))

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

Sue,
    Have at it! 573-431-4906. I've talked to the postmaster, and all the clerks and they say I am definetly in the wrong. Can't wait to hear what they tell you.

• SusanC
    16 years ago

Hi Sue,

Thanks so much for your efforts on my behalf. I really appreciate it.

Susan

Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok...getting things lined out here for the POs I will call and survey just what they are charging. I will first ask whoever I get to answer me first, and then depending upon the answer, will call back for the postmaster and quiz him...and we will go from there.

lilygrace
    canterbury ct
    860-546-7100...we think is the #

proudgm in MO
    573-431-4906.

(for susanc)
    1415 Webster St
    Alameda, CA 94501-3824
    Phone: (510) 748-4156

remy
    244 Highland Pkwy
    Buffalo,NY
    (716) 874-7023

lisa_h
    follow up with the postmaster (Scott I believe) to see what his 3 employees had admitted charging.
    301 W Britton Rd
    Oklahoma City, OK

Anyone else? If so, please post the street addy, if you have it.

I'll try and report back her on these Mon PM...likely late

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i looked hers up on the net. it was the only one. in canterbury. LOL since she hasn't gotten back to me.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Whew! What a day...calls, calls, and even more calls as I got cut off or had to call back.

I got all of the 5 listed below called today and sent extensive emails to everyone but susanc. The supervisor was to call me back and didn't. I was surprised by that one, as she sounded both sincere and professional.

lilygrace
    canterbury ct
    860-546-7100...Yes, that is the number per lily grace and thanks medontdo.
    Call Postmaster Tom back Tues

proudgm in MO
    573-431-4906.
    ??? clerk all over the place with his answers. He finally said if it was more than 1/4" and less than 3/4" it would be a Large Envy. YAY! One question out of several answered right. I've asked proud to mail me a BE but only if it is overcharged $1.13.

(for susanc)
    1415 Webster St
    Alameda, CA 94501-3824
    Supervisor (Ronnie) to call me back after she put her hands on the bulletin that outlined padded bags (that's what they call BE) charges. Either she couldn't find it, or she did and chose to not call me back until she spoke with the postmaster or something. I'll call her Tues!

remy
    244 Highland Pkwy
    Buffalo,NY
    (716) 874-7023
    I talked to one clerk (Rob) and he instantly knew the correct answer for the charges on 2 different sized bubble envelopes. I am to call the postmaster (Bob) back Tues after he has talked to all of the clerks and surveyed what they say they would charge for the BE.

lisa_h
    follow up with the postmaster (Scott I believe) to see what his 3 employees had admitted charging.
    301 W Britton Rd
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Should all be on board now. Last Fri I informed the postmaster (Scott) I had a BE in my possession that had been overcharged from his facility. He determined the employee by the number I provided him on the postal stamp. He has discussed Bubble Envelopes with all of his employees and all 'should' be all right. We shall see!

I have added agirlsgirl to the list for Tues as well.
    601 E 8TH AVE, HOMESTEAD POST OFFICE, 15120-0001,
    This is the office I had the problem with that clerk,the one closest to me was the one I had the original complaint with. Since that time, any time we have been in the office that's closest we haven't had a problem,haven't been there for much so we will see when I am forced by mother nature to use the PO,it was the main office at the above address that the clerk,not the supervisor,insisted it was to be charged as a parcel.

and another email

B3406 Main St
    Homestead, PA 15120 Map
    * (412) 461-3325
    This is the only number I could find,it is not the main office, but it is the branch closest to me

I'm kinda confused on all that. Maybe I will understand better tomorrow.

I will give a wrap up tomorrow night I hope.

Anyone else? If so, please post the street addy, city, state and tel number.

I've thought of giving this show a real name...something like blah, blah, blah Research Group....or Survey...so it can sound all official. I'm open to all suggestions for that. They might sit up a bit higher and take more notice (and care) if they think they are part of a study by someone who is watching them

Original Author
    16 years ago

hmmm...update on the location at
    168 Westminster Rd
    Canterbury CT 06331
    860-546-7100
    Postmaster Tom

Yesterday, I talked with the window clerk(s) and was told that they were told that all bubble envelopes are parcels! The Postmaster was not there so I called and reached him (Tom) this AM.

I politely told him I wanted to bring it to his attention that some employees at his facility had been consistently overcharging for bubble envelopes.
    Tom:Who are you?
    me: (gave my name)
    Tom: Are you with the Postal Service?
    me: No
    Tom: Well who are you with then?
    me: I am doing some research and investigation into different Post Offices across the country who have been overcharging the public on bubble envelopes.
    Tom:Who do you work for?
    me-No one
    Tom-Well we are just charging what we were told to charge. Have a good day. 'Click'
    Needless to say, I was just shocked at such a curt reply from a Postmaster.

I immediately called back, wanting to try and get Tom on board by informing him exactly what bulletin he could reference to see what I was talking about. I was told, "He has left the building." He is evidently one postal employee who just does not care that his employees are overcharging, thus stealing from the general public. It is too bad he did not listen to reason and at least hear me out. This could have been handled today via our private phone call. Now, besides me posting this on a public forum, there will be numerous postal employees at different levels across the country involved. Maybe that is just what is needed to get all Post Offices on board, charging the correct amount for these small bubble envelopes.

My next step will now have to go a different route to get Postmaster Tom informed so he can get his employees informed. It would have been much simpler for him, had he not gotten upset and refused to talk to me.

I will ask that a member send me a BE through this facility. Once I rec it, I will take it to my postmaster and verify that it was overcharged. I will then escalate things...besides more phone calls today.

Sue...on a mission

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

My friend was here last night and we were discussing all the trades I've been doing and postage- he's a rural carrier here were we live. He mentioned, when I said something about the postage going up again on May 12th and not wanting to purchase a coil of 100 stamps that will devalue on May 12th, about a Forever First Class stamp. I called the post office, and they confirmed what he'd told me (he told me to call and confirm it was still available. Apparently we can purchase this stamp now for $.41 per stamp and when the rates go up in May, the stamp will still be a full first class stamp with the new $.42 postage. You just got to your post office and request the Forever first class stamps, it's the one with the Liberty Bell on it. They will even be good as full First Class postage a year from now when the rates go up yet again.

Just wanted to share that with everyone :)I'm including a link below from the USPS site that tells about it, pay special attention to the first sentence in the description :)

Kathy

• medontdo
    16 years ago

thank you sue!! your the bomb!! ya i heard he's a real A**!!!

Original Author
    16 years ago

168 Westminster Rd
    Canterbury CT 06331
    860-546-7100
    Postmaster Tom
    I called him (please see above post from today)
    The wheels have been set in motion. My contact grabbed the ball and is likely running with it. Poor Tom will likely be finding out from Consumer Affairs what I was hoping to get to explain to him. I'm hoping they also address his rudeness.

(for susanc)
    1415 Webster St
    Alameda, CA 94501-3824
    I called again today, and Ronnie was out. I left my name and number again and asked that she please call me. No call back from her today. I will try again Wed.

remy
    244 Highland Pkwy
    Buffalo,NY
    (716) 874-7023
    I talked with Postmaster Bob, and he has discussed the BE thing with the employees. He asked that I bring in a copy of the bulletin I read to him yesterday the next time I am in.
    I then explained the whole seed trading thing, and that lots of us had been comparing notes, and complaining of being overcharged on BE. I told him I was calling on behalf of a cyber member and friends who also trades seeds. I offered to mail him a copy of the bulletin and he thanked me. I will be mailing him the bulletin, a few packs of seeds, a note, all in a bubble envy with an 80 cent postal tape on it.

agirlsgirl
    I did not get anything done on it yet. Yesterday I was on the phone for hours (it seemed) and so today I kinda took the day off away from it.

To be continued.

Sue

Original Author
    16 years ago

Wonderful news to share. The Consumer Affairs Manager (Louisville) emailed me today what went out to all of the Consumer Affairs Managers. It includes a link that you can then print out and take to your PO.

I will share it all with you sometime later today, as I want to check with the Manager to see if she wants her email addy and phone number included. I'm thinking probably not, but will verify that with her.

I will be starting a new thread, as this one has gotten quite long for those on dial up and even for me when my high speed (?) slows occasionally to a crawl.

Seems things may finally be getting 'fixed'.

Sue

• SmokyMist
    16 years ago

WOW,
    I finally got a minute to come and read , and read it all in one sitting, and What a woman !!! Sue, you are doing a fantastic job and it really makes me feel like just one person CAN make a difference.
    If I'm not too late, or if you even need that info now, have you checked into any PO's in Tennessee? I have the information for my local one.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Woohoo! Mission accomplished. Please see the new thread at the link below. It has info for printing out and presenting your PO if there are any further problems.

Now, so as to not leaving anyone hanging...
    For lilygrace
    168 Westminster Rd
    Canterbury CT 06331
    860-546-7100
    Postmaster Tom

I sent ole Tom a copy of the email, the bulletin, Ratefold page 20-First Class Mail-Single Piece rates, 2 papers showing the flexibility tests (suggested and provided by my postmaster) flats (large Envelopes), all in a bubble envy with a postal tape of 97 cents for the 2 OZ Large Envelope. I enclosed a note as well, explaining that I was mailing him the info I was attempting to make him aware of when he abruptly hung up on me. I send my thanks to TOM!
    He caused things to really happen quickly.

proudgm in MO
    I received your envy, complete with some wonderful seeds (Thank You!) with evidence of the overcharge postal tape.
    If you will send me the PO addy, I will send the Post Master a copy of the bulletin, and email, and include my tel number as well as Cathy's number (Consumer Affairs Manager Louisville)who initiated the email. (If you sent it b4, I have lost it in all the rubble in my email box.) All will go out in a bubble envy, so that he can see that my PO is charging correctly. Once he receives that, I trust there should be no further problem. I will also send him a picture of the envy you sent me. It will show him it came from his facility and exactly which employee overcharged. (I will block out your return addy on the pic when I copy it.) Also go prepared with your printouts...just to be sure.

(for susanc)
    See above. I will send your PO the same info in a bubble envy. The supervisor never did call me back...sigh.

remy
    Your Post Master was a very nice. I talked to him again, and then forwarded the email that is covered in the link below. He should have everyone on board by now I'd think. Maybe take a copy with you just to be sure.

lisa_h
    You should be good to go. If not, print out what I've linked below.

agirlsgirl
    Email me the addy of the problem one please, ( I'm still not clear) and I will drop the above listed documents into a bubble envy and send them to the Post Master.

Smoky,
    I only investigated those outlined above. From the info provided here, I found that 5 out of 5 were indeed overcharging, at least part of the time. I think it was just random, as far as which ones were overcharging. I'm left wondering just what percentage of PO were overcharging 100% of the time and what percent were overcharging just part of the time (dependent upon the window clerk).

Well all you seed junkies...Stick a fork in me. I'm done!...with the exception of a few more mailings.

Sue...rbb and likely a pita to a few postal workers

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Bump!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA