Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

Very Interesting Link(Potato Guy), Sue, Fran, Kathy you must look

remy_gw
15 years ago

Hi,

One of my friends over on the site(can't mention on GW) that came to help with the potato post, found this very interesting Craig's list post.

Please note the photo of the fridge full of seeds and the name at the bottom.

So not only did he want free seeds, but he plans to profit from them too.

Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Craig's List Posting

Comments (25)

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Now, why am I not surprised at what you found?

Sounded like a scam to begin with, instead of correcting his post to conform to the rules of GW, he whined and cried that we where stopping his SASBE and "ruining a good thing". Along with no one else was complaining but us.

He got caught with "the potato seeds in his hands and his obvious profit in hand " as well, and went running for the hills.

Watch out though, I suspect he will be back in a whole new form. they always try to get back in.

Thanks Remy and thank your friend for finding the info.

Sue, Kathy, Remy, do any of you think this info should be posted on the thread offer he had?

Do you think it should be posted on the rate and review posting that praises his trade done by the next to last member that posted on the thread. I posted after her and there have been no other posts. Just her rate and review post that was quite favorable to him, but not to us.

Fran

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Fran,
    I think the R&R should just be left alone.
    I'll go post the link on the exchange post though. Then everyone will know we were right.
    Remy

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Hi Remy,

I agree about the R&R, but 100% agree with the link going on the exchange side.

So nice to know we haven't lost our minds completely, at least not yet, anyways.

Fran

• albertar
    15 years ago

Hi Remy and Fran
    Oh My God, I can't believe the gaul or is it gall of some people. Sadly he speaks of sales, and instead think of the wonders this could produce if he had stated he was doing this for the sake of the poor or homeless, or food kitchens. Sorry for jumping on this thread, but people like him just literally make me sick. Thanks so much for the link Remy.

Alberta

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

I agree completely with the consensus. Post it to the thread, let them all see just what he's using the seeds that they sent him along with two BEs and way too much postage for. I think it's rather sad that someone would treat others- especially the newbies that are just getting started and still don't have much in the way of seeds- this way. I knew something way way fishy with this man, especially when he started ducking and dodging and deflecting our questions.

I agree, leave the R&R alone... none of us were involved in a trade or BEAP or whatever he wants to call what he was doing with him, so that's not appropriate. It would likely get pulled anyway. The "offer" thread would be the right place for it. Perhaps then one of those who responded to his offer might post it to the R&R, which would be more appropriate. At this point I'm just hoping that those who responded to his "offer" actually get those potato seeds since they're paying so highly for them. What a jerk. And he even mentions it being for more than his highly touted potatoes.

Kathy

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alberta,
    Don't feel you jumped on the thread! You or anyone is more than welcome to join in : ) I posted the names to get their attention when they came to read this area.
    On the other forum, there are a bunch of links to whacky web sites he has developed. He even has fake university sites.

Fran,
    "So nice to know we haven't lost our minds completely, at least not yet, anyways." LOL!

Kathy,
    I decided to post it. I do hope people at least get some seeds. Some people are much too trusting. My father always said when shady type things happened, "don't trust the shirt on your back and it is the closest thing to you."
    Remy

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's another posting he made at another forum. They didn't like his tone there either.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Trade Post Gone Bad

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

He's back with a new post to his SASBE thread offer, but no comments about how he was offering the seeds or the extra that was required to get the seeds.

Fran

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Wow... all the info that was dug up on him via another site was amazing to say the least. He seems to not only do this "offer" thing on many different sites, but apparently has several businesses, including some smelly university sites too! I find it amazing that someone could keep up with all of that! Apparently he really does need all those seeds because he doesn't work and spends his time weaseling.

Remy, I did finally get that activation I was waiting for :)

Kathy

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathy,
    "Apparently he really does need all those seeds because he doesn't work and spends his time weaseling." Lol, sad but true!
    Remy

• heirloomer08
    15 years ago

Well, let me throw some fuel on the fire. This guy made a trade with me and he requested some of each tomato I have to offer. He said he had everything on my want list. Ha!!!! I also try to make as even of a trade as possible. When I make a trade I try very hard to get it sent out ASAP. As some of you know as you have made trades with me. I had to send several emails to finally get my seeds sent to me. It took a really long time to get the trade completed. I only got a few seeds of some of the varieties and by the looks of the fridge in the picture we should of had a more even trade. I have already listed him on my own "do not trade with" list. Anyway just thought you guys would like to hear a first had experince.
    heirloomer08

• gardener365
    15 years ago

Scammed here. Sent him almost 1/2 of each thing on my list to acquire a big trade from him. I even spoke to him on the telephone and he started talking about how "Agriculture" was the only means to make money because of the shape the country/economy is in (same thing he mentions at Craig's list). Too bad. Not nice...

Dax

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm sorry about what happened. I wish I had noticed his post sooner. I do hope you post to his review thread so no one else get taken in case he attempts to trade again.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: R&R Thread

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Mmhmm... this is what we were worried about. I'm sorry you two had such a horrible time with him. Please make sure you post to his Rate and Review thread. The one there right now is an endorsement, I feel others have a right to know what they're getting into with this person. I wasn't involved in a trade with him, or I'd post. The review forum is only for actual trades (or not, as the case may be). I'd hate for others to get caught up, especially newer members. Heirloomer and I have done a couple of trades and I know that you're very generous and prompt. I just wish we could have gotten him shut down sooner. I know the newbies pay attention when they see people questioning an "offer" like that. I just wonder how many others are having this much trouble or have not received his supposed wonder potatoes.

Kathy

• heirloomer08
    15 years ago

Well, I did it! I went in and posted on the rate and review. I hate being negative but I hope I got my point across. I wasn't vicious, I just explained what had gone down with my trade with him. Our economy is bad enough, we have enough troubles get things met. We don't need a scammer on this site. I do have to say that so far this is the only scam I have ever had trading seed. Everybody that I have traded with, other than this guy, has been GREAT!!!! Without this site and all the great people I wouldn't be able to have a garden like I have. There is no way I could afford to buy the seed I plant every year. I have a great time here and look forward to more great times.
    Perry

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Nicely done, Perry. Stuck to the facts and wasn't ugly. I'm so glad you decided to post in the review. Perhaps it will keep others from being taken in.

Kathy

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

For those who did actually receive the potato seeds, you might want to check out a thread at The Vegetable Forum where I asked about growing potatoes from seed.

In a nutshell, one should not expect edible potatoes the first season from the plants grown from seeds. They will produce small tubers (potatoes) that will then be suitable for growing into plants next year.

After several replies I posted:
    I have deduced then that one should not expect good tasting eating potatoes from the plants grown from seed. What one can expect are potatoes that are suitable then for next years 'seed potatoes'.

I'm left wondering how the average 'Joe or Josephine/ homeowner' can then overwinter the seed potatoes until planting time the next year in my zone, or any other zone. At my house, kept dark and cool, they would likely either rot, or wither up to nothing during the many months between fall harvest and spring planting time.

Did I deduce things correctly/incorrectly? Additional thoughts?

To that another member replied:
    You have it right, Sue. It's shriveling you need to prevent.

Potatoes need to be stored in darkness at cool temperature and high humidity. IIRC, about 40ðF and 90% R.H. Some kinds store better than others.
    Leaving them in the ground is a possibility if they are kept from freezing by mulching heavily. I've had potatoes which I missed harvesting grow the next year.

I know I can't overwinter store bought taters, so would not even consider trying to keep seed potato tubers all those winter months here. I guess in 'some' areas and instances though they could indeed be overwintered in the ground.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing potatoes from seed?

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Perry,
    I'm going to Florida, but when I come back, I can shorten your want list if you like : )
    Remy

• heirloomer08
    15 years ago

Hey Remy, yes please get ahold of me when you get back. I would like to get a trade or something set up with you.
    Perry

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to add that a person I know at the other site that traded with him wrote:
    "Today, I received his return envelope with the varieties agreed to plus he included some seeds for russet potato and another potato labeled "potato Dance". Although some of the quantities are not up to what was agreed on, the varieties would seem to be there.

I will only know for sure when they are grown out. Given the lack of answering emails and the short counts (with no explanation), I don't think I would consider trading with this individual again. The uncertainty of the return is very uncomfortable."
    Remy

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Perry,
    You posted while I was posting. I'll get a hold of you when I return. : )
    Remy

• scottrell
    15 years ago

I just read Remy's link "Seed trade gone bad" I don't know how I missed that before.

That guy was almost worse on that site than he was here!

I am glad they did not fall for his BS there either.

I have seen the negatives on the R and R about him and feel bad that some were taken.

I wonder where he will go next?

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Reminds me of the Morning Glory woman... :P

Kathy

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Sue, sending you an email, let me know what you think :)

Kathy

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Now why am I not surprised about the trade results?

Sorry that those that responded have not had good trade experiences with this "character"

Scottrell, he will show up on any seed trading site he can get on, do "his thing" until the members call him on the offer he sets up, same as we did here.

Jaleeisa, I was thinking the same kind of thoughts. "reminds me of "our infamous MG Lady".

Just have to keep a watch out for these kinds and then get the word out.

Sue,

I couldn't keep and store potatoes either, and I'm in New England. No way to winter them over in the ground either.

Another clue to this was a bad trade set up to start with.

Fran

Sponsored