Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romando_gw

does anybody else watch american idol?

romando
18 years ago

I have to confess, I'm addicted. Love it. My husband and our two daughters watch it every week. My favorites are:

Taylor (the grey haired guy)-- he's my ultimate favorite! He's great. I'd totally buy his album. It's so nice to see someone refreshing!

Paris (cute little short girl). Girl can SANG!!! She's so cute. Loved how she strutted her stuff the other night...

Mandisa (the big girl who won't let Simon talk crap about her!) Love that. I'm a big girl too, but I can only dream about singing like her!

I can't remember his name now, but I also like the shaved bald guy who did the Bon Jovi song the other night. He did a really good job!

And I like looking at Ace, but that's not enough... *lol*

Amanda 'romando'

Comments (104)

• walktrotcanter99
    18 years ago

Oh, My gawd. Chris is so totally totally the best thing on AI. He kicks the rest of the competition. That man has some pipes, and should be touring already. A big big future for this one. IMHO :o)

• putzer
    18 years ago

It's so weird...I don't like Chris' voice. He reminds me of a bleating goat.

• romando
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL
    (that's what I think about Cher...)

Anyway, I was a little worried when I learned that they'd be doing Queen-- it would be sacrilege to mess up Queen! I thought Ace was awful; I'm really sick of Kelly Pickler also, but I have to admit tonight was one of her best I think. I was surprised she pulled that off! Katherine got good reviews, but I just thought she was okay. Paris' performance made me want to cover my preteen's eyes! Girl was hot! (blush) Anyway, I thought Chris did a good job, but am I the only one who thinks the stylists gave him a (way) too dark dye job? Kinda scary. Like my high school goth days...
    Taylor was fun again. I've been a little worried (especially since Mandisa got the boot) that the uniqueness was going out, but he was back tonight~
    Elliot, bless his heart, keeps surprising me. Gotta give him some credit now, I tell myself.

Amanda 'romando'

• romando
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OMG!!!!!
    Can you imagine the injustice if Chicken Little was still on, doing (trying but failing) Queen?

Amanda 'romando'

• gardenjen_ca
    18 years ago

Funny you should mention Chicken Little - my husband asked last night what he might sing if he were still on!

I was worried about doing Queen songs, as I am a big fan, but they did alright. I thought Kelly did really good last night. I didn't see Paris sing - what happened? What song? My husband was switching between AI and a stinkin' baseball game...I didn't realize I missed someone!

I agree with Amanda - Katherine was okay, and I thought the judges wouldn't have much to say, but they liked it!!

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Jen,
    Paris was on right at the end when time wise, you would of thought the show was over.
    I thought Kelly looked really scary with the lights they had on her. Reminded me of that Seinfeld episode where the girlfriend went from pretty to ugly then pretty then ugly,lol.
    I though Katherine was off key too much also.
    There is something about Paris's voice that I don't like. No, she's not reminding me of a farm animal. She's not bad, it just doesn't do anything for me.
    Remy
    Oh, Ladyblues/Kelley,
    Did you see the post by ljrmiller/Lisa on the Wintersowing Forum? It's a link to lyrics of a gardening blues song!

Here is a link that might be useful: Submitted Without Comment on WS Forum

• gardenjen_ca
    18 years ago

Thanks Remy - I think that's what happened, I thought the show was over even though it did seem a few minutes early. I thought they'd just be giving the numbers out to call and vote. Glad I'm not losing my mind!

I know just the Seinfeld episode you're talking about - hilarious! Seinfeld is my very favorite show.

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Ok, I missed the show last night. Who is gone now?
    Remy

• romando
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The bottom three:
    Bucky
    Ace
    Elliot

And Bucky was the one out last night. I think they got it right this time...

• putzer
    18 years ago

Ohhhh...Kathleen sounded gorgeous!! And she hasn't been a favorite for me-but tonight was exceptional!

• romando
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I agree! My picks for the bottom three:
    Kellie (getting sick of the empty cavern that is her skull)
    Elliot
    Ace (worked my last nerve; now it's time to go)

I'm so ready for Kellie to go. Not trying to be a hater, I just think it's time. Blah.

Katharine was excellent, wasn't she! I thought Taylor did a really good job, as did Paris and Chris. Do you remember a year this good on American Idol? I don't.

Amanda 'romando'

• putzer
    18 years ago

The year Fantasia was on was better. She had me speechless when she sang 'Summertime.' I had tears streaming down my face.

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

"...empty cavern that is her skull,"Lol! Amanda.
    Kellie was awful! I could of done a better job. (I still have my blue ribbon NYS Music Solo Award for you non-believers,lol)
    I think this is a good season also.
    When Fantasia sang 'Summertime', that was amazing, but I knew she was going to win from that moment. Everyone else could of packed it up and headed home. This season, I'm not sure who the winner will be.
    Remy

• graanieb
    18 years ago

Winner is Katherine!

She looked like the winner for a while, has the winning voice -no matter what she sings.

GB

• gardenjen_ca
    18 years ago

Don't you think they might "rig" it so a guy will win this time? Girls have won the previous two idols...just a thought. I thought Katherine was fabulous!! I've always liked her. I'm tired of Ace, Elliott is good, but somehow just doesn't do it for me, Kellie is tiresome. My husband said last night that it's amazing that she sings so well with that strong accent. Paris is good, but again, just doesn't do it for me.

So I guess Katherine would be my choice!

• romando
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm assuming everybody saw it? Bottom three were (!)
    Chris (what?)
    Paris (what?)
    Ace

Ace went home. He wouldn't have been my first pick to go (Kellie would have been) but at least it wasn't Chris or Paris!

Amanda 'romando'

• graanieb
    18 years ago

Just as long as Katherine and Chris stay, our choices from the start. We thought same thing, GardenJen, since last 2 Idols were females may be they'll arrange it to be a male, who knows there might be justice in the world, then again, close second can be tops.

As long as they bring ANDREA BOCCELLI on Tuesday! YAY!!!

Just as I was saying : It's time to have someone else on besides Manilow and Stewart! Never were my favs.

So there is justice, lol

Wonder who is going to be a "famous guest singer" next?

Who'd you pick?

GB

• gardenjen_ca
    18 years ago

I thought Ace or Kelly would go - so that's fine...

I was really surprised that Chris was in the bottom three, but I'm glad he stayed.

They will have "love songs" next week - that should be interesting...at least chicken little isn't still on!

It's getting very exiting now!!

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

I just had to google "Andrea Bocelli", lol.

• vjhale
    18 years ago

Katherine has a beautiful voice, and the camera really likes her - but so does she, kind of a turn off. Taylor has been my favorite from the start, I always smile when he sings. This has been a great season, the first time I've wanted to watch every show.

• graanieb
    18 years ago

I'd probably vote for Taylor if he'd not do his dances, we sometimes have to laugh. He's so natural and charming, great voice and personality, just needs to work on his moves and avoid straining himself in the meanwhile.

Next week should be a real treat. Boccelli is among my perennial favorites.

GB

• graanieb
    18 years ago

Just a note...Andrea Boccelli will be singing on Idol tonight!!!
    If you aren't his fan, chances are you'll be one eventually.

Have fun,

GB

• gardenjen_ca
    18 years ago

Well - anyone have any thoughts on last nights performances? I thought Katherine did pretty good and was really surprised that the judges were so harsh - bummer.

I thought Kellie "butchered" the song again...Chris did a beautiful job and Elliott blew me away - he was awesome!

Just my two cents worth...

• graanieb
    18 years ago

Again, Katherine and Chris in a duo, or Katherine and Boccelli in a duo, ha, she even sang opera beautifully!!!!

We agreed, judges were strange, what's gotten into them last night, probably heard too much Boccelli and forgot these are young, great hopeful talents.

Guess judges know decisions will be made and theirs probably won't matter.

You all want to make any guesses who'll be the guest singer next week??

GB

• putzer
    18 years ago

I thought Katherine did well, but the judges had a point in that it wasn't on par with Whitney Houston. Elliot was amazing-I am liking him more each week! Paris was my favorite last night-I love her style. She has such a beautiful, jazzy voice, it still is hard to believe she is so young.

• gardenjen_ca
    18 years ago

Well - Kellie's gone....I think it was fair enough last night, though still kind of sad to see any of them leave at this point - you get used to them after awhile.

Elliot is growing on me too! He really surprised me Tuesday night.

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

I can't believe you all have kept this thread alive this long. I just came in to tell you that Paris and Taylor are the two best singers on the show and the rest do not hold a candle to Paris and Taylor *ducks to avoid flying terracotta pots thrown at me* the others are ok but not as good as them.

American pop music needs Taylor because he's the complete opposite of what we have now. In a music world dominated by hip-hop stars and pop-tart singers known more for who they're dating or dumping Taylor is a breath of fresh air. Maybe he proves the sterotypes that white boys can't dance, but the guy has sooooooul for days! I can picture him sneaking into town on the weekends a performing at one of the many blues clubs in Chicago. I can also picture myself sitting on a blanket in Grant park and listening to him sing America The Beautiful as the fire works burst over head on the fourth of July.

We need Paris too. Lets face it Whitney Houston isn't getting any younger and if you believe the gossip mags her personal life is a scary thing. We need a new wholesome girl with a voice like an angel that can belt out the National Anthem at a Super Bowl and send chills up our collective spines and unite the country. The country is greatly divided. America needs Paris-no, not the city in France but the girl on American Idol.

So I ask you my fellow GWers-do what's right for America and give it the American Idol it needs. I'm MrBrownThumb and I approve this message.

*This message paid for by Americans Idol fans for better Music*

:0)

• romando
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mrbrownthumb: You ARE a fellow liberal, aren't you? *just checking*
    (I'm not even democrat-- I'm registered green party!) --please no hatemail anyone! LOL

Anyway, I love Paris and Taylor too. My husband knows I like Taylor the best, and he likes to tease me about it... calls him Special Ed and Spastic Bombastic. (Yes, he gets a kick out of himself) But you know what? I'd totally be there at any show Taylor did within a reasonable distance from anywhere in Northern California!

Of course, Chris is wonderful too...I was never a big fan of Elliot, but I have to admit, he's really impressive lately!

Amanda 'romando'

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

LOL, yes I am and I want an American Idol that unites us all.

:0)

• putzer
    17 years ago

Taylor, Elliot, and Katherine (the last song she sang) all did excellent tonight!!

• graanieb
    17 years ago

Katherine might not always choose the best song but she has the best voice.
    Taylor was most fun last night, funny too.

Mr BrownThumnb, music unites people all over the globe.
    Loving all sorts of quality performances without prejudice regarding their backgrounds, religious or political beliefs, except I guess Chris' looks score him extra points, not that he doesn't have a great voice.

I'd form a quintet with the remaining Idols, if it were up to me, smile.

GB

• romando
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh no! Paris is gone now! Well, Taylor's still my favorite, followed by Katharine, then Chris, and my least favorite is Elliot, though he's obviously not bad.
    Also, I was just kidding about being overly political! It's true that music is a great unifier, as is gardening!
    Amanda 'romando'

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

I can't believe America sent home Paris before Katherine. Does America have no taste? :0) At least we still have Taylor

MrBrownThumb

• putzer
    17 years ago

I can't believe there isn't an outcry on here about tonight.

• romando
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I know, huh? Chris wasn't my absolute favorite (it's Taylor) but I certainly think Elliot should have gone before Chris did. I really like Katharine too-- a lot-- but now that it's down to Taylor, Katharine and Elliot, I DEFINATELY think Elliot should be going next week. I hope Taylor wins it! Wouldn't that be a hoot! He's the oldest one- almost 30 now, I think- and has grey hair and isn't in shape! I think he's cute though, even though my husband makes fun of him... LOL
    Amanda 'romando'

• putzer
    17 years ago

I think Elliot has really shown a lot of transformation and heart-I like him. Taylor is my favorite, just cuz he is different and really just seems to love singing. Chris was definitely not my favorite at all, but still was shocked when he lost! I thought it would be Katherine-last night was not her best night singing.

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

I can't believe Chris is gone either: (
    Remy

• vjhale
    17 years ago

By the time it gets down to so few, it's always hard to see any of them go, they're all so talented.

• putzer
    17 years ago

I didn't really get to see it tonight-the finale of Amazing Race was on (Yay, hippies)! I just turned it to AI during the last couple minutes to see who left.

• graanieb
    17 years ago

Votes have never been so close!!!! Just wonder who is the one having just a little bit more votes? No matter, Katherine and Taylor are the winners, then again, I've been wishing they'd form a band with a dozen of them, pity to waste such talents, which most likely won't happen.

I think Elliott knew he was the one to leave when he saw the shocked reactions of Chris and fans! I didn't see so much emotional outpouring when he was leaving.
    Katherine sang "Somewhere over the Rainbow" beautifully, made me sing it off and on later on.
    Taylor is fun, Katherine has what it takes...beautiful voice. She might not sing her best every time, so what? I don't ever prepare spaghetti and meatballs same way!!! ha!

Go Katherine!!!

Bea-GB

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

I had to work yesterday morning at 6:00. I fell asleep last night before the show started I was too tired! I just couldn't stay awake! What happened? Who do you think won?
    Remy

• gardenjen_ca
    17 years ago

Well, they both did well...They each sang three songs - the judges said that Taylor won the first round, Kathleen the second round and that Taylor did best the third round, although I think it was a bit unfair, as they sand the songs that will be their first recording, and the one that Taylor sang was just a much beter song in general. Also at the end Simon said that Taylor will be the next American Idol, which is a bit unfair too! We shall see. I have a feeling Taylor will win it.

• albertar
    17 years ago

At this point, the show will be starting in a little bit more than an hour, I am hoping that Taylor wins.
    Alberta

• gardenjen_ca
    17 years ago

Wow - I thought that was a very entertaining show last night! Sometimes they drag it out with boring stuff for two hours, but I thought it was really good. Congrats to Taylor - yes we are proud of you!

I'm sure Katherine will have no problem getting an album out. They both are really good. Now I'll go through withdrawals until January when the new season starts!

• romando
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Woo hoo! All I can say is...

SOUL PATROL!!!!!!!!

LOL

Amanda 'romando'

• putzer
    17 years ago

I loved the show! Highlights for me were Clay, Mary K Blige with Elliot, Carry Underwood (made me cry), MANDISA (her voice just blows me away), Puck and Pickler (cracked me up), and of course the final moment when Taylor won. I thought he was going to faint lol

It was interesting seeing Prince-I was totally into him when I was *ahem* a bit younger.

• graanieb
    17 years ago

We've not enjoyed the show on tv so much in ages, made me think once again how great it'd be to have more entertaining and little less competition, to bring best of Idols and have some extra fun for everyone.

No matter, all are winners, except me and especially my daughter, will be listening to Katherine and my younger daughter to Chris (her forever Idol). I think Taylor got the votes for being a friendly country guy -if the show was about congeniality he'd get my votes, he had fun and made us join in the fun, appearing more self-confident- a few years older helps, even if he was at times comical with his dances-we can all use more fun. It reminded us of the times when the "She Bangs" guy was picked as the winner on line, lol.

We're fine with the fact Katherine took the 2nd place- it's almost or as grand as the top. Her voice will sing for itself.

Wish we didn't have to wait so long for more Idol,

GB

• romando
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I know, huh! I was shocked to see Prince-- shocked in a good way! I totally love Prince, though I must say I was a bigger fan when he wasn't quite as 'kid friendly' (LOL), but I was younger then...ANYWAY, I agree-- it probably helped Taylor to be a few years older than most of the others-- you can tell he just really didn't care too much about the superficial things. But I think he's totally handsome anyway! (I like confidence-- it goes a long way!)

This season was really good-- I honestly think I'd be completely satisfied with ANY of the top 12 winning-- most were infinately better than some of the winners of previous seasons! But Taylor was my favorite from the get go; I'm really glad he won.

Amanda 'romando'

• graanieb
    17 years ago

Glad you've picked the winner Amanda, thanks for starting the thread. However, we think Katherine will have a winning career because of her beautiful voice. I was at times singing along with her, imaginning my voice being hers, not quite, lol.
    If I had to pick one to go out to dinner/date with, definitelly Taylor, if I'm to play CD while waiting in traffic, no way would I feel like dancing with Taylor, it'd be Boccelli,George Straight, Katherine etc.

whatever rocks and pops your boat,

GB

• kitkat123546
    15 years ago

ummmm this is the 7th season....and i like david archuleta

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath