Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

How many trades/sasbe do you do in a year?

I'm just curious. I haven't posted a Have or Want post on the board, and I've been sitting on my hands (or trying to) to keep from trading for yet more seeds, yet my email box is full of emails working out seed trades and seeds going out for sasbe, and even one coming in.

Due to very poor record keeping, I am clueless just how many I have done, or that are even in 'the works'. I'm just curious how many you all do.

Sue

Comments (35)

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Hi SUE...

I have tried to stop..honest...and I do good for a few days, then I am back her on the board, or I see a newbie post, and I am offering seeds...I have 17 trades sitting her on my table, that I have been spending HOURS on...and I am actually using time I could be wintersowing..LOL

I keep a notebook, well, ok I have three notebooks...that have all of my trades listed...I actually went back thru them at Christmas and sent out cards to most of the people, and thanked them for helping me start my garden last season.

Im addicted to trading...is there a cure ??

• jim_6b
    16 years ago

Hi Sue,
    I don't think I traded any last year but sent out around 100 SASBE's. It kept me very busy and I could have sent a lot more but I got bored, tired and frustrated with it all. I don't think I will be offering any SASBE's this year just because it takes so much time. I still plan on saving all of my seed this year but will probably donate them to someone who is interested and has the time.

• booberry85
    16 years ago

I'm not that organized! This is my first year trading seeds. I do know that I try not to have more than three trades going on at one time. This way I can keep on top of what's going out and what's coming in. I've only posted 3 times about "Haves." I suspect later in the spring, I'll post again about "Haves." I've posted twice about "Wants." I suspect I'll be posting about "Wants" again in the near future too!

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Well.. I sent out 10 this weekend and two more yesterday and am working on another three right now. I've done several trades with several people, several generous souls have sent me SASBEs and gifts and lots of wonderful extras!

I keep track of mine in a spreadsheet backed to a CD, of course, otherwise I'd be really going nuts! All the info on each trade goes into that spreadsheet, including SASBEs I'm offering or receiving. I even have a space for the date the trade was finalized, the date I mailed and the date I received as well as a space as to whether or not I've done a rate and review for them and notes about the trade where I list any extras. Sounds fussy, but believe me, it keeps me on track.

Another thing that really, really helps me is doing a final email with the person that gives a full final list of what we're both sending. Once I get that final email done, I bag everything up in the enve and address it and wait for their confirmation, then seal the enve and stamp it.

All that takes a little time, but I really enjoy sending and receiving the seeds, and if I didn't have a way to stay organized, I'd go nuts cause I'm rather OCD about some things :)

Kathy

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

I print out the email of the person I'm trading with. Then I mark when I sent it. I mark when they received it or when I received it. Then I put "finished trades" in one pile and "pending" trades in another. It sorta keeps me straight..."L"

Linda

• ollierose
    16 years ago

I've done 45 in about 2 months. If that's any indication, then I guess I'll be doing about 250-300 a year!

• kms4me
    16 years ago

I just completed my 15th trade, sent out my 105th SASBE.

• SmokyMist
    16 years ago

I've done 4 SASBE's this year, and given away over 350 packs of seeds. I've traded more this year than last. Used to trade ALOT more. I did about 6 or 7 box loads of plant trades last year, but boy when I started out I traded constantly lol. It was fun too, and why my gardens look so pretty now. There are some very generous people out there.

• Ann
    16 years ago

Since starting with GW last Spring, I've probably done 60-70 trades and SASBEs, which may be why I have so many seeds to try to plant. Sometimes I think we enable other seed addicts too much when we send bonus seeds or extras! LOL

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Well over 100 trades since August and sent out countless SASBE's,I have them all recorded but, havent looked at numbers in a long time...lol..I have forced myself into a trading break,although through this "break", I have done a few trades! ;)
    Angie ~ full blown seed addict

• SmokyMist
    16 years ago

Angie I think you're one of my enablers too LOL

• medontdo
    16 years ago

lets see i'm BACK to sasbe's again, and i'm doing full blown trading again, and while i'm at it, geez i feel so bad cuz ann and angie are BOTH my enablers!! i'm narking them out!!! LOL but i know i enable angie and ann!! LOL :')) i know angie and i are no longer trading, nope we are on the enable list., and i think ann and i are the same way!! LOL
    i just can't help it, i have to keep looking for something, i just know someone has it, ya know, that special seed, man, i do sound like a druggie, as in that one special high. oh this is bad!!! LOL :')) geez anyhow i send out 7 a week then i won't for 1 week. so it'like 30 or so a month. depending on how many cool things i see LOL :'))

• booberry85
    16 years ago

"man, i do sound like a druggie, as in that one special high."

I like to think of it more like Day Trading on the stock market, but much lower stress level. Got to wake up early and pay attention to get those seeds once their on the exchange!

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

LOL....Cheryl,I do believe you were one of the first to send me seeds for SASE,so that would make you my enabler...lol..;)

Michele,you sound like you are on the phone with a hot line...lol...30 a month is ALOT,good thing you have that GH,now!:D

Booberry,funny you said that ,because that is what I compare it to,too...lol..yes, the stress level is slightly lower except those days you are waiting for someone to get back to you about a seed you really want,and your running checking your mailbox every hour on the hour,and finally when that email gets there....what a rush!...lol..

Fun thread Sue! :)

• SmokyMist
    16 years ago

You know what is so fun about it. You often see a new person and you share your seeds with them. It just makes my day to see them later on with such beautiful gardens and knowing that possibly something I gave them is growing in their garden. I can still walk through my gardens and see plants and think ' so and so gave that to me' . And I never forget. I have a beautiful Hibiscus That a Gardenwebber sent to me just for the heck of it one year and it will forever be known as Nancy's Hibiscus.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nancy's Hibiscus.
    Might Nancy be in Arkansas? If so, I have several things in my garden that remind me of her too.

Sue

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

OH boy....is Angie ever an enabler...tee hee...and so is Michele...

I have a terrible time not checking the boards to see if I am missing someone offering that "one" seed I just need..( ya, I NEED another seed..NOT !!)

I have sent out well over 600 packs of seeds this month, and I STILL have too many..and I have wintersown 150 containers...and I have seeds on the way from Angie..LOL

• dorisl
    16 years ago

I get discombobulated if I have more than a few going on at once. I sent somebody tree seeds instead of pumpkin seeds once too, how embarrassing.

:)

Its fun getting those seeds in! I donated a bunch of seeds to Emily's school, they make a garden on the grounds every year, so I guess I........... need......... more .........seeds? or maybe not........ hee!

• kilngod
    16 years ago

About 80 trades in the last year and about 400 packs sent out via both 10 sabses & a group program for newbies. Have wintersowed 250+ so far and am still trading when I should be finishing that stuff.

Ah, cruising people's lists is too much fun :)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ohhh i know!! i like cruising lists too!! LOL then i can imagine where i'd plant it, now my fun thing is to imagine growing it and selling it!! and keeping a few for our garden!! LOL boy ohhhh boy do i have a new hobby!!! LOL MAN!! LOL
    its the same but it could make me some money on the side!! how cool is that?? LOL :'))

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

It hasn't even been a year yet and I've done well over 100 trades and SASBE. I have had a blast and met some of the nicest, most friendly, helpful people in the world. GW members are the absolute best!

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I never kept track but I'm sure that between seeds and plants it's several hundred. Just during Oct/Nov when I prune my brugs I probably send about 30 boxes of cuttings out.
    Karyn

• lillyjane
    16 years ago

I have only been here not quite 4 months, & am new to WS I have to admit I addicted. ") SOOO many nice people on here , I just want to say thanks to every one who has been enabling me, especially ((((Angie )))) (hugs to you girlfriend) Sometimes I feel like a pig, but I just can't quit, LOL I keep thinkin MAN THAT IS PRETTY, IT WOULD REALLY LOOK GOOD HERE OR THERE. HUMMMM--- I MIGHT NEED 3 OF THOSE & MY MOM WOULD WANT ONE & MY FLOWER TRADIN BUDDY IN POWELL HAS BEEN LOOKIN FOR THAT ONE !!!! I know that i have gotten seeds for sasbe from several on this site, again thanks for your seeds & your time. I have also sent out a few sabse & the seeds as of now I have 100 plus large jugs (2 litter pop & milk jugs) & somewhere over 150 small cups WAA--HOOO & I have babies ya-all!!!! And more to plant! I jumped in with both feet & it was real hard for me to keep everyone straight with the GW names & email address & the real names LOL ( top secert society) LOL but I'm trying to do better. hopefully these will all grow & I'll need a crash coarse in seed saving so I can sent out lots of sasbe also. This is about the only thing I look at on the net anymore, dont have time for anything else LOL I'm here all the time ! When I'm not lookin for seeds, I'm lookin at how to grow them Just wanted to say thanks for gettin me hooked & supporting my habit !! LOL
    Jan --- alias-- lillyjane ")

• karyn1
    16 years ago

That's the nice thing about trading seeds and plants. The sharing can realistically go on indefinitely and something that started in your garden can end up growing in someone's yard halfway around the world. I think that's so cool. What else can you do that with and involve so many people?
    Karyn

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

The Newbie Seed Project 2007-08 sent out more than 4,600 packs of seeds to/from 167 participants. 40 states and a few Canadians participated. I just sent some seeds to a neighbor and plan to take several hundred packs to our huge Central Ohio Plant Swap in May.

I keep the numbers in Excel.

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

Last year, my first trading, I did over 80 trades, including many SASBEs. After a couple of round robins I had some seeds to trade and would offer to trade when I responded to the SASBE. Most did not want more seeds but some responded turning the SASBE into a regular trade.

With encouragement from other posters I started collecting seeds which enlarged my exchange list.

This year I have done only 20 trades as now have more seeds than I can ever use in my own gardens and share with family, friends and neighbors. I have also responded to a couple of SASBEs for specific seeds that I wanted. Occasionally I will initiate a trade after reading a posting regarding seeds that I would like.

Bakeman, though I did not get seeds from your Newbie project, (I was no longer a newbie by the time I found out about trading) I do admire you for all the time and efforts that you spend in the Newbie Seed Project.

Thanks to those of you who share your bounty through SASBEs.
    I have not offered general SASBE but have privately responded to those in need/Newbies to share, passing it on.

Original Author
    16 years ago

How many do you do?

I am amazed at the number that some of you have sent.

Sue...still curious

• blue_ivy
    16 years ago

I joined just shy of a month ago, and I must admit that I have already attained the ranks of the addicted! In that short period, I have completed 17 transactions and have 5 pending! (And I love my enablers, such as Ann, Angie, and Diana!) If the confessions above are any indication of my future, I think I too am a hopeless case. : )

I quickly developed a way to keep track of trades in a Word file (Excel might be better, but I find that Word charts do almost all the same things). It is quick & easy, saving me time that I might otherwise be re-reading previous emails to figure out what is going on with each trade.

My poor boyfriend complained at first about my hundred or so "little pots of dirt" in the living room (and more outside!), germinating, but now that they are showing themselves, they are part of our family! : )

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

LOL....Tola,it was a pleasure enabling you! :) You might be a newer member ,but you trade like you have been around longer...you were easy to enable...lol! :) And yes,you are hopeless,when you are turning to keeping track on an Excel sheet because you have so many darn seeds,it's a sure sign of addiction! :D So happy to have you on board!

Congrats on the new members of your family,I hope they all flourish for you!:)

Original Author
    16 years ago

And yes,you are hopeless,when you are turning to keeping track on an Excel sheet because you have so many darn seeds,it's a sure sign of addiction! :D,
    I think that might also be a sure sign of analism(Angie's word) as well.

Isn't Angie also the one who coined the term bulge police, as well?...another term that just cracks me up.

Sue...ducking and running

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Hmm, Angie seems to be the QUEEN of enablers....I wouldnt kno anything about it...tee hee

I hope to grow up and be just like her someday...

• tamela_star
    16 years ago

I joined back in the fall. I just posted a SASBE offer for the first time to the first 3 ppl that responded and 4 ppl e-mailed me. So if one changes their mind I still have somebody. I just didn't want to see my moon flower seeds go to waste.

• blue_ivy
    16 years ago

Addiction, Analism, OCD - ah, too many choices! The obvious answer to the question of diagnosis is to remain firmly in denial until completely unavoidable! : )

Okay, so I have to ask: "Bulge Police"? What hath Angie wrought? : )

Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, so I have to ask: "Bulge Police"? What hath Angie wrought? : )
    please see link below....

Sue who refuses to get all postal on postage here on this beautiful sunny warm day

Here is a link that might be useful: search of term bulge police here at the seed exchange

• kms4me
    16 years ago

'Bulge police'... thought that was referring to the pinch-an-inch (or more, in my case) fat test that doctors do, glad to know it's referring to my seed packages. Takes a LOAD off my mind.

Kate, who will first thing in the morning take her fat little rat terriers for a very long walk while she tells herself it's only seed weight...

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor