Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring 2010 Migration of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

Posted by chemocurl zone 5/6 S INDIANA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 8:53

Are they in your area yet?

Should they be in your area any time soon? It looks like in the past few previous years that March 26th was the earliest in my area, but most of the time it is sometime in April.

There are also links at the link below to see how they migrated in past years, which is interesting. You can also use a form at the link below to report the first sighting in your area.

chemocurl...aka Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring 2010 Migration of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring 2010 Migration of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

• Posted by jaybirdy 5north/central Illin (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 16:17

Sue,when you spot the hummingbirds in the Spring,how long do they stick around?Do you put out a feeder at that time?I only start to see them in late Summer when they are making their way back south.If I could help them in the Spring by putting out a feeder I would.When they arive in late Summer they spend quite a few weeks in my yard because I have a feeder and I grow every kind of hummingbird flower I can get my hands on.Actually,I put out more than one feeder because they are so territorial.Thanks for any imput.

o

Great site, my daughter just asked me yesterday if I put hummer feeder up as she did, going to do it now, even if raining, we love little gems, think there should be site dedicated to hummingbirds..or is there?

many thanks again Sue.

GB Bea

o

Spotted first one of the season this afternoon! Male ,ruby-throated, made a quick stop then about 10 minutes later on again on the other feeder, yaay!! But don't think they are same ones that were here as they ignored me, smile...home gems used to do happy dance with dips to greet me and express their joy of making it back, would do happy dance when their babies started flying....wish there was a way to track them, also wish they were banded, but main thing they are back. Weather to be around 40 on sat, as long as it doesn't freeze, but did think they'd wait a while.

Now off to mark the date on the map.

Bea in Belle Chasse La ( near New Orleans )

o

Figured yesterday why hummers are shy this year, their "home"- largest tree around ( even after being about half ruined by Katrina ) was cut down last fall, they've counted to raise many more babies there, sure can a bit further, they'll get over it, lol

Have a large white verbena so far, getting red one tomorrow.

Anyone else has seen any??

o

Thanks for posting the link, Sue. I look forward to watching the progress north every spring.

o

I don't see them until late June around here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here