Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

What is lasagna gardening?

dan_the_mailman
16 years ago

Okay, this is a new one to me. I've seen it mentioned in a few posts, and just keep picturing pasta covering the ground, tomato paste on the sidewalk, and ricotta cheese in the trees. And I just simply know that can't be what you guys are talking about.

Or, is it?

LOL! One never knows with this group, as I'm quickly finding out!

Comments (13)

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Hi Dan! :) How are you today?
    I included a link to links that will take you to some threads where it is discussed. I am going to try it this year for the first time,I plan to build it over the summer and into fall,for next year. I am thinking it will be a great thing! This is my year to experiment,so I am also building a small compost pile also and comparing the results.I want to see how much faster lasagna gardening is. Have fun,you have a good read ahead of you! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lasagna info

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

I found it an interesting link when I read it also. I just dreaded the thought of having to get rid of all this grass. This method seems so much simpler...hence the raid on the cardboard I found the other day!..

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

I agree Linda,this will definitely save our backs! :)

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

I'm all for that...plus it gives me ideas to do other spaces...I really plan on having very little grass outside out fence by the time we're here 5 years. "eyeing up other places to add tomatoe sauce"

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

I'm gonna start working on mine towards the end of this season as well, so they'll have time to get good and composted for next spring :)

Don't feel bad, Dan, I was thinking along the lines of tomatoes, basil, oregano, thyme, etc in one space to have the fresh stuff to make lasagna!

Kathy

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Kathy, it's good to know I wasn't the only confused one here! LOL!

I tried out the links and did a lot of reading. Now, while it was all very interesting, I think I'm gonna stick to sticking my seeds into the ground, once I maniacally spray the lawn into oblivion, that is! HAHAHAHEHEHEHOHOHOH!

dAn THE s.g.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

this fall i'm going to actually go and go next door to my newspaper neighbor and ask him for all his papers that's left over and then get cardboards, have tabor rake, and use his lawnmower to mulch and pur that over my mess!! LOL and let all this mess set all winter!! and hopefully next year no crab grass will get into my brand new beds!!! LOL that' i'll be having something cool in, just don't know what yet, i'm sure i'll find some kinda perennial vege and put in there, thats my goal!! LOL have LOTS of perennial veges in one garden area, LOL in zone 5 HEE HEE :'))

• sassybutterfly_2008
    16 years ago

I *REALLY* wish I'd known about lasagna gardening oh say... LAST Fall! I just learned about it the past few weeks so I guess I'm stuck digging my red clay out shovel by shovel and putting 'pretty' dirt in its place!

Good idea to try a spot w/ the lasagna AND a spot w/ compost and compare the results. I might just try that!

*brandishing shovel and piteously walking away from the computer....
    ~Wendy

• Ann
    16 years ago

I tried a lasagna bed in my front yard which hasn't been able to sustain grass and became a dust bowl last year during the drought. Now it's looking better with the cardboard, grass clippings and leaves and mulch slowing become workable ground. I'm going home to play in the dirt after work and plant some of my WS seedlings.

• west_texas_peg
    16 years ago

I did this to my front lawn and now have a cottage garden with a white picket fence around it. It was easy...does not happen overnight, though. Cardboard is hard to come by so we opted to get the extra newspapers from our small town newspaper.

We soak these in a tub of water and put them down folded like they are...I no longer count pages, etc. I over lap good. I do not spray with Roundup as some say you MUST. I don't want the chemicals in my garden. I cover the papers with whatever I have at the time: leaves, grass clippings, etc. I do not shred the paper...it breaks down pretty quick especially if you live where it is wet.

I continued to add mulch and grass clippings, coffee grounds, tea leaves (from large restaurant tea bags), alfatha meal, and cornmeal. We can now dig in my front flowerbeds very easily...hubby told me the last time he was moving something for me that he 'lost' the shovel. He was laughing, said he pushed to dig and it disappeared it was so soft. I love to hear that...it was as hard as a rock when I started...I could stand on the shovel and it would not go in!

I started last year doing out back yard...we will have a tiny patch of grass in our outdoor living room once I'm done. I need more grass clippings and more Starbucks!

I started compost pile #3 yesterday...need rain...we have not had much for the last 8 months. Hate to waste hose water on a compost pile...I can just see the $$ as I spray it! LOL

As far as I'm concerned lasagna gardening is the way to go! Hubby tried digging the bermuda out of one bed and we are still fighting it! I wish I had known about lasagna beds before I planted it! It is full of bulbs and the darn bermuda keeps creeping up.

Peggy

• Ann
    16 years ago

My front lasagna bed is in process but far enough along for me to plant out some of my WS seedlings. So much better than the dust bowl/mud pit of earlier years and so much easier than working to get grass to grow in a losing battle with the maple tree by the curb!

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Out of curiosity, what does everyone add to their coffee grounds? And how do you apply it? I've got several large coffee containers filled with coffee grounds, tea bags (both with the filters), Egg shells and potato peels. Since I usually buy my compost material (can't handle the smell of the compost pile, for some reason the pile gives me nosebleeds, but the already composted stuff in the bags doesn't) I'm a little antsy about applying this... should I add anything else? I'm trying it on a smaller scale in the small containers in hopes that I can make my own without the nosebleeds.

HELP!

Kathy

• Ann
    16 years ago

Kathy,
    I can't help you with the coffee grounds, but I have to say what a pleasure to look out my front window and see little green plants in the lasagna bed where there used to be ugly bare spots where no grass would grow, even after several hundred pounds of top soil and hundreds of dollars in grass seed. I have my eye on several otehr spots where I could "create a bed", so that will be my summer project.
    Don't blame you about the smell, but fortunately I don't get nosebleeds from it! Cheers, Ann