Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graanieb

Know you're addicted to Seed Exchange-s...when...

graanieb
18 years ago

You dream of finding prepared envelopes on the top of the fridge, the more I look in the back the more of them show up!

Funny, guess it's since I've been placing env's ready to go up there! It's finally happened, lol

I know there are other signs to our addiction, besides seeing flowers no matter where we go and thinking: Seed swap! You see pretty stationary/paper or even plain white: seed envelopes!!!

Want to add some of your signs? We could make it top 10

signs....

GB

Comments (80)

• dan_the_mailman
    16 years ago

ROFL!!! I think I'm related to you all! I've been saving seeds since I was 5 or 6..... getting my seeds from the commercial seed companies in December each year..... planting at least 3 types of flowers by New Years Eve...... "borrowing" seeds from my mail customers for the past 8 years..... keep telling my oldest sister she needs to host the annual perennial exchange "just one more year"..... start seeds in the house in january only to take them to work and give them away..... garden outside while listening to the local rock station (you know my neighbors in the trailer park love this, right?)..... and have all those unidentified seeds in the ashtray of my car (isn't that what it's for???)..... and last of all, I'm better at naming the flowers in my garden than remembering all the names of my various nephews and nieces.

Say, isn't that a loose seed over there in the corner, next to your shoes? Just wait right here, I'll go get it.....

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

you know you're addicted when you have your husband screech to a stop because you saw some " awesome cardboard outside that warehouse." and THEN you actually go into the warehouse, hunt down the manager and ask for said cardboard. THEN you stuff the back of your husband's Explorer until he can't see out the back! "stuffing cardboard in shed until weather is nice enough to use in for the lasanga method"

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

" awesome cardboard outside that warehouse." ...poor hubby!

I have become familiar at different time with the friendly folks at The Dollar General Store, among other places. I found out when the stock truck came in, thus when they put up stock, thus would have a new supply of boxes being discarded. You drive behind the store, and if you happen to be really lucky, the employees will be bringing out a new batch of empty boxes, and even pick out the best ones, and help load them.

It is always a wise idea to keep a grabber in every vehicle...just so you are armed and ready. It also comes in handy to retrieve WS containers, buckets, planters, and pots, and cardboard when dumpster diving at the recycling center and elsewhere.

Sue...rbb

Here is a link that might be useful: Grabbers of various prices

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ohhh dan!! you are my kinda guy!! and linda you are absolutely halarious!! how do you get hubby to stop??? man i wish i could get mine to stop!! LOL
    but i do have a truck now for out in the country shopping!! LOL but it does no good in the city!! LOL

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

"said with a straight face"..I reached my foot over and stomped on the brake..."G"..actually I think he reacted out of instinct when I yelled, "STOP!".
    hmmm...a grabber...I'll have to check in to that.
    What's so awesome about this cardboard is that it's HUGE and already broken down. I had to fold some pieces back up just to get it into the vehicle. The manager said to me, "That cardboard is so big you can lay down and roll all over it!"...I'm still trying to figure that one out..."pondering"

• dorisl
    16 years ago

Ok, there, Dan, we have to have a chat, you being a newbie and all. See, you got to understand that if the seed is by MY shoe, then it is MY SEED, got that? Id be happy to trade MY SEED by MY SHOE for one of YOUR SEEDS by YOUR SHOE, tho, K?

no sasbe tho

• medontdo
    16 years ago

hey!! i'm willing to jump on someone for that way cool seed!! LOL :')) J/K

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Oh REALLY Michelle ?? Must be SOME seed....LOL

Play nicely now, we DO need to be nice to the newbie, atleast for another day or two...snicker, snicker...

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Hmm... how about when you're sore from head to toe from a planting marathon (ALL day from 9 am til 8 pm) to get at least 99% of the backyard planted cause it's gonna rain real good that night and it'll save you having to water... and then you're still looking at MORE seeds and planning where to plant 'em.... And your back and shoulders is crying, literal tears at the thought? *mumbles* backyard is bigger than I thought it was...must have more... didn't think I was in this bad a shape...must get gardening muscles working again! :)

Kathy

• plant-one-on-me
    16 years ago

Who me I'm too new to be addicted...I am just an enabler to a 3 year old who cannot wait for the mail so she can open the bubble envelopes. Poor kid even wants to look up the plants instead of play computer games LOL. Kim

• medontdo
    16 years ago

LOL i soooo know that one!! i was that way last year!! last year i tilled our garden 25 x 80 with a mantis tiller!! yes i said a mantis tiller, i had it done part of the way, then my hubby had some guy come in and turn it over so i had big rolls, that were deep, LOL then i was working on that forever!!!! so then i told him this is sooo not working, so we ended up having someone come in and really till it, much better, but i still really tilled it!! LOL i had to do it my way!! LOL mrs.perfection here :'>> so then i had to get a whole bunch of seeds to put in that garden, LOL
    P.S. still haven't stopped!! LOL

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

you know you're addicted when someone says.."want a bubbly?" and you're not expecting champagne!

Linda..who has a shelf full of bubblies

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

questions here
    Are you addicted to acquiring seeds?
    Are you addicted to acquiring seeds to certain things you collect...say poppies, tomatoes, sweet peas, MGs, others maybe?
    Are you growing all those seeds or are you just collecting them...much like a miserly person would save, and save money, never spending any of it?
    Are you an enabler...that is wanting to get others addicted, so they can then later feed your addiction?

Has anyone ever been able to 'conquer' their addiction and get it under control? If so, for how long? Are you a recovering Seed Addict?

Sue...thinking a lot this AM instead of getting started on 'stuff'

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

do you walk past a seed display and start drooling?

IS your only topic of conversation: seed exchange, seed planting, buying seeds and wondering where your next seeds are coming from?

Are there cobwebs in your house because you haven't been doing housework?

Linda..who's going outside and play

• Ann
    15 years ago

...when you spend an hour when you should be cleaning your house, just sorting your seeds into keepers and trade available stacks.

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Are you addicted to acquiring seeds? LOL, no... no..not me.. I don't have a problem! What are you talking about!?

Are you addicted to acquiring seeds to certain things you collect...say poppies, tomatoes, sweet peas, MGs, others maybe? Double Poppies, Lettuces, MGs, Mints, Geraniums- scented... just to name a couple :P

Are you growing all those seeds or are you just collecting them...much like a miserly person would save, and save money, never spending any of it? I'm trying to plant 'em! The weather won't co-operate! I want a no wind, reasonably warm day! Then maybe I can find my desk... and my dining table.. and the top of my chest of drawers..

Are you an enabler...that is wanting to get others addicted, so they can then later feed your addiction? I'd never do something like that! I've only shared with neighbors, soon to be in laws, newbies here, my best friend, the local community aid center... the school... complete strang... erm...

Has anyone ever been able to 'conquer' their addiction and get it under control? If so, for how long? Are you a recovering Seed Addict? The real question is... who would want to?!

*skitters off to plot more enabling and plant more bulbs*

Kathy :)

• pattygrow5
    15 years ago

When the UPS guy says I see it's that time of year again

Drooling at the seed racks? Where do you shop I look but I have either the seeds or the plants I look but GOT IT GOT IT I need new varieties.LOL

All of your neighbors have 2 liter bottles filled with seeds and dirt most of the seeds you gave them after you taught them to wintersow
    I'm glad you brought this back Sue
    Patty

• medontdo
    15 years ago

when you cant wait to see what everyone else wrote LOL cuz ya just know that for sure its you!!! LOL

you enable your family- cuz ya have toooo many seeds and need to "get rid of some" ***onrilly laughs*** (secretly) LOL

• Ann
    15 years ago

When you start another post offering newbie seeds and think that you need to get more seeds since you're giving away so many. LOL Not me??!!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

LOL you "enabled" a bunch of your relatives so you "think" you "need" seeds now, cuz your fridge is "empty" LOL "WHATEVER" LOL isn't that funny!!! we are sooooo bad!!! LOL

• graanieb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just stumbled upon this one, made me laugh again.

Thinking of covering up yard long beans to save more seeds, lol

Never mind green beans almondine, we want those seeds, lol

Yeah, really, so we can have more beans next year.

Keeping basil seed "pods" in paper envelopes in my purse, mmmm good fragrance.

Bea

• shropshire_lad
    15 years ago

You know what would be really bad? If someone invented a way to play poker for seeds!

"I'll see your 10 rare dayliles, and raise you 20 Japanese Morning Glories...."

Yeah, we'd all be in trouble, then!

• bigred
    15 years ago

You people diffenantly have a serious problem and are in need of an itervention.

Peggy,
    who will now go back to trolling seed exchange forums,do MORE on-line searches for those unique,ellusive seeds and stare lovely into her crammed full seed frig while trying to figure out what box to put yet even more seeds most recently aquired.
    Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

• token28001
    15 years ago

It's only a problem if you run out of bubble envies, seed envies, or stamps. All of which can be purchased. :)

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

Are you an enabler...that is wanting to get others addicted, so they can then later feed your addiction?

EPIC WIN!!!

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

When my long time letter carrier knocks on the door to ask if I'm ok!!!!!!

Reason he knocked and asked? Been a week and no bubblies to deliver after months and months of at least 3 of them put in the box a day.

Fran

• medontdo
    15 years ago

you look at the seed exchange, knowing you don't need any of those, knowing also that you don't have the room for anymore seeds. BUt you still look, thinking hmmm....them there seeds, i could use, knowing full well that you cannot use them!! that's when you know full well that there is no hope at all for you!! **big grinn** ~Medo who has to go and get her seed packets ready for her buds, so she don;t have to worry about them anymore!! :'))

• token28001
    15 years ago

you look at the seed exchange, knowing you don't need any of those, knowing also that you don't have the room for anymore seeds.

I nearly responded to an offer for coconut lime coneflowers. I already have at least a dozen varieties of coneflowers. But I didn't. Mostly because I was out of bubbies and didn't feel like going to Wal-Mart. again.

• graanieb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Amusing stories. Had posted one the other day, so I thought, don't see it here now, where did it go?
    About the plants my daughter brought me, she thought stocks were full of buds, what I saw, after thanking her and sayinghow pretty they were, true...." SEEDS", those aren't buds, but seeds that'll dry soon, hopefully. " There'll be plenty for trading"...for daughter's favorites too.

This one made me laugh, probably happens to many of you....Sent my first Christmas cards to Seed Exchange pals...before my relatives and friends, lol

While sending out trades, why not enclose cards?

with thanks and Happy Holidays,

GB-Bea

• lillyjane
    15 years ago

When you start the washer & go to get the clothes to put in it, & stop by the pooter for just a second to see whats new on the Wsing or Seed Exchange & then the next thing you hear is the washer spinning with no clothes in it! Ghess, I have wasted so much soap that way ! LMAO hahaha
    jan ")

• wenders6715
    15 years ago

when you see a wanted post and your hand goes up in the air and you feel like you're horseshack in mr. kotters' class-becuz' you have what someone else is looking for!!!!
    when you're SOOO thrilled with your longhaired cats for bringing mama home some seeds in their fur-hey,every seed deserves a chance to have a good home!
    you're willing to buy your bf all new brakes and stuff just so he can stop that much quicker when ya yell "STOOOOPPPPPP"
    ya still have a pair of shorts left out(not packed away w/the summer clothes yet)becuz' you keep forgetting to get the seeds outta the pocket
    even in church you're looking at the bouquets becuz there just might be some seeds in there
    i could go on and on and on.......

• token28001
    15 years ago

You get a new pack of purchased seeds and sit down with a pair of tweezers to count them to see if you can trade them for things you really don't need, but want.

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Hi, I was bored,hubby is watching tv,so i have been reading every ones stories and laughing,i am pretty new to this,but just this morning, i was getting ready to make coffee, i took the lid off, and stared at the coffee grounds,,,,for a long time,,,,thinking how much the grounds looked like tiny seeds.
    I had to laugh at my self,but now know,i am an addict in the making.
    That's a good thing,RIGHT?
    Carol

• smitties
    15 years ago

You sneak your latest purchase of seeds in your purse so hubby doesn't see you bought more cause he knows (and so do you), that you really don't need anymore. It's an "addiction".

You find yourself on your knees with a piece of tape picking up little seeds you dropped on the carpet.

• gwen49
    13 years ago

Ya'll are halariouse.And I think most of you here have enabled me.(BIG smile)
    I drug a sheet of rigid insulation into the house cause the bed isn't big enough to sort seeds on anymore.
    the grandkids save seeds from every apple,cherry,grape for Grandma's garden.
    They argue over who's turn it is to open the envelopes

You never let go of all of one kind of seed,Because you might change your mind about them.Lot's of baggies with 2-3 seeds.

you save every loose seed ,even if you can't identify it.

This all sounds like a new reality show,seed hoarders,my secret addiction.

I don't have a problem,this has been my solution.Many hours of enjoyment passed some pretty rough days.Even if I can't plant them all, each of these little miracles has restored me,and I have all of you to thank for that.

The grandkids "tell on" mom and dad if they don't save pop bottles for grandma

You change shampoo,to get the clear bottles.

The spare room is piled with anything that looks like you might could use it for WS

You read the wanted lists first and get depressed if you don't have something they want to trade for

you can't get rid of anything that says mixed,because they might be differant than the other mix you have of the same seeds.
    Yep, all in all, the best obsession I have.

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

I just got a kick out of reading these!! I was literally LOL'ing. :-)

My name is hostarookie and I'm a seedaholic!

• graanieb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad you got it back running, it's making me laugh again.

How many of you had saved annuals from the freeze since there were seeds that were almost done? Like Basil, still have 1 plant half frozen but wont touch it, us addicts dont quit so easily...lol

• johnjd1956
    12 years ago

When you want all your flowers to die and turn brown so you can open the pods.

• johnjd1956
    12 years ago

When you are waiting for the dollar store to put the remaining seeds you would not want for yourself on sale for 10 cents a pk so you can trade them.

• nel.nucifera
    12 years ago

...When every seed trade is "the last one, I swear!"

Nel

• rqeversole
    12 years ago

Nel...

I am guilty of saying that every single time! Rotflol! These are too funny.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Love this thread!!! I keep nodding my head at some of the things (yogurt cups all over the place, full of seeds and tiny ripped-off corners of paper for labels, making another flower bed simply cuz' you don't have room for all the seedlings, etc).

You know you have a problem when you read this post and say to yourself "I'm not as bad as some of the people here". Then you realize you are worse and were only trying to delude yourself before. LOL. Classic case of addict denial! I have to say, reading the posts here makes me feel a little less guilty about my seed snatchin' and WHERE I have ended up snatchin' from. :-)

You feel so pleased when you convert your own father into a fellow seed snatcher! One day he came up to me with a happy/sneaky look on his face and pulled a seedpod (a simple marigold) out of his pocket that he snagged from a store. Next he gives me a tiny NOID sprig of a shrub that he pulled up from in front of some mall in town ;-D Then one day I give him a tin of herbal drops I no longer want and ask him to save the tin. I didn't even have to tell him what I wanted it for- he said it for me "for seeds!"

I think I have found my kinfolk here in all of you. Great post! ;-)
    CMK

• graanieb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So funny! CMK, glad to see you here... may be your dad could turn into a seed packer?
    You know what a help that would be...for both of you?

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Thank you graanieb!
    Hummm...I don't think he would enjoy packaging up seeds very much. Sometimes I don't even enjoy doing it, especially with those tiny seeds that blow away if you dare breathe while packaging them up, lol!
    He does like helping with planting the veg seed in late winter/spring, which is great!

You also know your addicted when you totally forget to eat lunch because you were so absorbed in reading seed exchange pages and looking up the things you were unfamiliar with etc. Boy am I hungry...LOL ;-D
    CMK

• graanieb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol CMK, I ought to get here more often even if I'm on a healthy diet.
    Great your dad helps you planting, bet he loves it more than anyone, know what you mean about packing seeds too, tiny and ones that come in sticky shells as in some hibiscus, but we addicts will do anything to save a seed. :)

Merry Christmas to all.

• young_gardener123
    9 years ago

I am a beginning seed addict. I have my first bubble envelope of seeds coming in the mail from a newbie seed giveaway and all I can think of is how I am ever going to build up and grow a giant seed collection to pass to my nonexistent grand kids, LOL! :D

This post was edited by Young.Gardener123 on Thu, May 8, 14 at 11:22

• vaflowernut
    9 years ago

I have tears streaming down my face ya'll.... luv this. I love it when my dog gets loose so I can chase him down through the neighbors flower beds and grab a few handfuls along the way...... awe shucks, he's out again, let me put my deep pocket shorts on so I can go get 'em.... :)

(not really....just for giggles)

This post was edited by vaflowernut on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 13:04

• vaflowernut
    9 years ago

I have tears streaming down my face ya'll.... luv this. I love it when my dog gets loose so I can chase him down through the neighbors flower beds and grab a few handfuls along the way...... awe shucks, he's out again, let me put my deep pocket shorts on so I can go get 'em.... :)

(not really....just for giggles)

This post was edited by vaflowernut on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 13:02

• signet_gw(6b)
    8 years ago

when you buy 2 mini fridges in order to store all your seeds but they dont all fit and some have to remain in shoe boxes ( not kidding!)

Signet