Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap vs. Expensive seeds

Posted by Night_Stalker 7 NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 10:28

Is there any reason I should pay $2 for packs of seeds at the Gardening Store, instead of just paying 20� at Walmart?

I can understand if it's some fancy heirloom variety, but otherwise, is there any difference between cheap and expensive seeds? The seed count and the plant seem the same.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap vs. Expensive seeds

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 13:11

I bought seeds at Walmart one year, and ever since, don't even look at the seed rack there. I had very poor germination rates from them compared to all the other brands I had. Could have been a fluke, but not worth my effort to find out.

o

I've had trouble with Ferry Morse seeds not being what was on the label and their plants don't produce like the label says they will. I only had 1/2 of the English peas come up this year. Very few seeds in the envie for $1.99. I bought more because they were half price last week. I don't like paying for shipping but the amount of seeds I got and the great germination rate I had really impressed me with the seeds I ordered from Richter's. You can always trade your extra seeds on here.

o

I really only get seeds from Botanical Interests now. They're reliable, I know they're good seeds, and they also don't sell any GMOs. They can be on the pricey side depending on where you buy, but I know where I can find them for cheap (at the little hardware store down the street, which has an extensive collection of seeds surprisingly). But I get quality, and I care more about that in the long run.

Plus, I always have leftovers anyways. I rarely use up all the seeds in a Botanical Interests packet.

(I agree with Zackey about Ferry Morse -- I had a packet of Cosmos that clearly said they would be yellow and gold flowers, but they all came out purple and pink. Lame!)

o

I've had no trouble with the cheap seeds. I actually tested the cheap seeds compared to the same Burpee seed and got better germination rates with the cheap seeds. For variety, I do order seeds from a number of places: Botanical Interests, Bakers Creek, Seed Saver Exchange, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Fedco, Sandhill Preservation and Territorial Seeds.

o

Ditto on Ferry Morse. I grew Zinnia's from them last year that were mislabled. When I complained to Ferry Morse, I got the run around about which department I should complain to, so no more Ferry Morse.
I have no problem with cheap seeds for something like ordinary marigold or zinnia varieties, but they don't typically offer any of the kind of seeds I am looking for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here