Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experiments in the garden...

Posted by carroteggs 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 11, 09 at 10:30

First Experiment:
I am trying a little experiment with my Impatiens and my Zucchini. I added 1/2 teaspoon of used, yet dry, coffee grounds (leaded of course!) to them and one of each with out. I planted the seed on top of the coffee and put soil on top. Now they are in my mini greenhouses (aka clear film containers). Anyone have experience with used coffee grounds in the garden?

My second experiment:
I am putting some Impatiens seed in a plastic bag on a wet/damp paper towel on top of the refrigerator. Anyone know if this will work with them? I am impatient since I started kind of late for my zone. It will be in the 80-90s here in a couple of weeks.

Thank you! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experiments in the garden...

Okay, so I changed it to soaking the seeds since the top of my refrigerator is cold. But I read that 8 hours should give them a good start and I would be able to see which seeds were good and which ones were bad.

o

Hey there!

I don't know about the Impatiens seeds.. but I use coffee grounds in my lasagna beds. Do a search on lasagna beds and you'll get a ton of info on using grounds in the garden. I've never tried them before with seed starting tho.. let us know how it turns out. :)

~Wendy

o

Update
So far the Zucchini with the coffee grounds is above the surface today (leaves haven't opened yet though). The other one is not up yet. As for the impatiens, well they take so long to grow anyways it will be a while. So far, it's coffee ground soil-1, regular soil-0.
Hm, I might do this with all my seeds if there are no adverse affects other than this. I wonder if I can have my vermiculite soak up coffee water? Or would it just make my seeds moldy? I'll have to try it with my basil. So far, basil is the fastest growing seed I have (5 days). Anybody have a suggestion other than coffee? I'm open to try it as long as it's cheap and I don't run out of seeds.... :P

o

okay, score change, I looked more closely at my labels: Coffee-0, and regular garden soil-1

o

Well, now I know not to start seeds in coffee grounds. My zucchini that I put in coffee grounds still hasn't come up, but that's fine because I only need one plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here