Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

just a silly curiousity...

lindaruzicka
16 years ago

I was curious as to what everyone wears on their feet while gardening. Has anyone ever tried those garden clogs that I see adverised? If so, how are they?

I usually wear an old pair of sneakers or sometimes go out barefooted (which really isn't to smart, I hate to wear shoes in the summer). The thing I don't like about the sneakers is that they get pretty warm in the summer...so like I said...it's just a silly curiousity....

Linda

Comments (22)

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

I wear 'flip flops' Usually I can just spray off any dirt and kick them off outside. They're pretty cheap and if I wanna go barefooted for a little while, they're easy to kick off :)

Kathy

• debbiep_gw
    16 years ago

I wear sneakers now,I had some of the garden clogs,not the brand name but some from payless and while they were comfortable I now have a bad foot from gardening with them on most of the summer.If you wear them I suggest not using a shovel very much.I can't even walk down the lane to the mailbox with them on now without foot discomfort.I tend to have lots of feet pain so I have to be careful what shoes I wear.Debbie

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

My favorite, is an old pair of tennis shoes with the strings removed and the tongue cut out...making them slip-ons. I wear sox with them...gotta have sox with everything. These are never worn off the property. Neighbor's who stop by while I'm gardening, always get to razz me about them though.

I also use a pair of generic (yellow no less) garden clogs. Sox with those too. It took a while to get used to them...felt like I was stepping/falling off the side of them. Had to walk slow. I have mastered them though, don't fall off, and can even run (if need be) in them.

Sue

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

I love my garden clogs,I dont use them for heavy duty work though,I have my snazzy purple and blue work boots for that! I use the clogs just when I have to step in the garden to pull weeds or transplant something! I also find them excellent in the winter to slip on to grab a few pieces of firewood,I have worn my flip flops,but I am anal about dirt under my nails and after cleaning my toenails for an hour will never do that again...lol... But I do live in my flip flops most of the summer,just not out in the beds!

• luvsgrtdanes
    16 years ago

Sneaks the older the better, or Timberlines for me...clogs only when I am weeding or watering. Tried to dig with them on last year and it wasn't so much fun!!!....Unlike Sue though, I have been known to were them at other functions and often wondered why people kept looking down!!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

dude, totally flip flops!! all the way!! i have tabor dig for me!! he likes to!! he gets the accomplishment out of it!! LOL

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

so far it looks like sneakers and flip flops are the favorites so far...

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Old boots when it is cold out, and/or I'm digging.
    Garden clogs when it is nice outside. I love them!
    My velcro Maid of the Mist sandals when it is really hot. They stay on nicer than flip flops.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo with lots of Maid of the Mist Sandals!

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

I have to admit to mostly being out in my bare feet...I hate shoes and socks..LOL

If I go out and need shoes, I use an old pair of sneakers.

• SmokyMist
    16 years ago

Either bare feet or some slip on sandles that are really comfy

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

WoW! That's alot of sandals...lol...Remy it seems we are sporting the same footware! :)

• booberry85
    16 years ago

I wear Crocs or old shoes/sneakers. I love the Crocs because I can just hose them off when I'm done and they're back to being clean.

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm very happy to see that I'm not the only bare foot person who gardens! I really don't like shoes and would rather have my toes in the dirt.."L"

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    16 years ago

Linda,
    I'm with you! It's barefoot the whole way. I use a nail brush to scrub the dirt off when I'm done in the yard.

• kids2spoyl
    16 years ago

I prefer barefeet along with my bare hands, but here lately we've had a lot of sticker grass coming up so I'm wearing flip-flops more. Those burrs hurt.

Gina

• chrizty
    16 years ago

old sneakers or barefoot. i like flip flops but they never stay on my feet, think my toes are to wide apart lol

16 years ago

i like flip flops but they never stay on my feet, think my toes are to wide apart lol
    LMAO...never heard of that problem b4.

PICS Please!

Sue

• rbrady
    16 years ago

When it is cold or muddy I wear a pair of duck boots (with the strings removed). I love my flip flops when it is warm out, except when I water. My feet get all wet and the flip flops get slippery. It makes for dangerous walking, especially in my front yard, because it slopes downhill. I don't know how many times I have slipped and/or fell. I must put on a good show for my neighbors. Oh well, they think I'm nuts anyway.

Rhonda

• sassybutterfly_2008
    16 years ago

flipflops!!!!! Except when I'm diggin', then it's an old pair of sneakers. Flipflops and shovel diggin' just doesn't work! :)

• ray.theiceman
    16 years ago

I have an even better idea. Just grab a chair and sit with your feet propped up and watch your daugther do all the work. Then all I have to do is stroll through and get the weeds she misses. Gotta love kids. Mine is great. Wouldn't trade her for the world. Ray

16 years ago

Gotta love kids. Mine is great.
    Gotta agree...we sure enjoyed her brief time here. Why not invite her to join us?...complete with her own user name. She was so kind to keep us updated a little while back.

Sue

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Nice to see you back again Ray...I watch my hubby plant for me, but it gets old fast, I miss being able to be in the dirt !

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH