Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

another 'newbie' question

lindaruzicka
16 years ago

I want to send some cats and kittens plants for an exchange for seeds. HOw do I mail them? What do I put them in? What do I do?.."looking piteful"...

Linda

Comments (24)

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

LOL! Well, unfortunately, hon, that's one thing I wouldn't trade for. My Boston Terrier would eat them. BY the way, my box came in! WOW! I posted in the RR about it! Thank you!

Kathy

• ollierose
    16 years ago

Check the plant exchange for info on how to send plants.

Here's what I do:

Always send via priority mail
    Water plants well the day before digging
    Dig the plants
    Remove most all soil
    Use a spray bottle to wet the roots
    Wrap roots in paper towels (I use coffee filters)
    Wet paper towels with spray bottle
    Wrap saran wrap around the paper towels to hold in moisture
    Wrap entire plant (including leaves) in newspaper to protect
    Place plants in a box (I always label plants if sending more than one type/color/variety/etc.)
    Seal it, put on postage and mail it

Good luck!
    Diana

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you Ladies!

• ollierose
    16 years ago

You're welcome Linda!

• love2gardennc
    16 years ago

All the forums have FAQ that answer many newbie questions. Hope this helps, Les

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Exchange FAQ

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I knew you guys would direct me to where I need to go..I mean that in only the most likable way..."L"

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Please bear in mind that the FAQ is not totally correct, but I won't go into that...like one would not wrap iris or bulb roots in moist paper towels...IMHO...but that is best left for another day/month/year...sigh

And it does not cost $3 for a 2 LB box...and it does not mention First Class mail (under 13 OZ being a lot cheaper and just as fast as Priority, if one has some small lightweight things to mail...sigh. I could go on...and on...but won't.

Many of the existing FAQ could definitely stand to be improved...someday.

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wow..okay Sue..that helps, these are just little cats and kittens so they won't weigh much.

16 years ago

that helps, these are just little cats and kittens so they won't weigh much.
    And I'm left wondering just what cats and kittens plants are. That is a new wrinkle with me.

Sue

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"L"..well, hens and chicks are what they're called too...we call them cats and kittens here....mountain folk, you know..."G"

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

I thought you were really wanting to ship cats and kittens. What a relief! LOL I was going to object that I really didn't think that they would like the bubble wrap or the wet paper towels. :)

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL@proudgm..nooo..I don't think they would like it either!.."L"

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

LOL....I had to read the original post twice....lol..

• love2gardennc
    16 years ago

Oh Gosh, I am Sorry. I wrote and continue to answer questions for the FAQ on the Round Robin Ex, when any are expressed(hasn't been any sent my way in a long time). I had no idea that no-one monitored the other FAQ. I hope that Trudy is still answering on the WinterSow.
    I Village, perhaps it is time to get new FAQ folks to update. I would recommend Sue (Chemocurl) she sure has her FAQ together.
    I am just sorry that the info in these is forgotten, some (most I hope) is still valid.

16 years ago

ltg...the FAQ has always been the responsibility (as far as I know) of a member, or a group of members putting the info together.

I'll be more than happy to input a few of them here at the Seed X first, once all the input is gathered and written up suitable. I think GW then grants permission to input them, after being OKed by them....and then too agirlsgirl (Angie) has something else in mind/the works too that will be of great assistance to everyone here trading and offering seeds.

• dan_the_mailman
    16 years ago

if you're gonna send cats and kittens to someone, don't forget to put some litter in the box for them. otherwise...PHEW!!! STINKY!!!

never heard that name before, but I like it!

Dan, S.G.

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's what my grandmother called them and the people in the area where I grew up..I'm from Altoona, PA originally and yes that makes me an ALTOID!!

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

LOL....I guess Altoona and Pittsburgh are alot further apart than I thought,we call them Hens and Chicks,but I agree I like the cats and kittens much better,but I bet I cant convince Gramma to call them that!...lol...she isn't a fan of cats!

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

it's only two hours apart...but a world of difference..."hiding bare feet"...

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

lol.....

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i always shredd paper and put that in the box so the plants will do what ever it is they do and they seem to like that better then the wrapping of newpaper. i got mine like that last summer in the middle of the summer and they looked great!! :'))

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Linda I grew up outside of Pittsburgh, and STILL dont like to wear shoes....blush.

I hadnt heard cats and kittens until last year...but I didnt know what hens and chicks were then either...I have grown up alot in the gardening world this past year.

• girlsingardens
    16 years ago

I love that cats and kittens. I have a lot of hens and chicks and they have always been one of my favorite plants. I always had trouble getting them started at our old house but here they just prosper. I even have some growing in an old chicken waterer and chicken feeder:)

Stacie

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just love them..you pop them in the ground and next thing you know, they're everywhere!

Linda

Sponsored