Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question???

Posted by lindaruzicka Z6 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 08 at 11:53

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but if it isn't, I'm sure someone will direct me to the proper one.

Amyways, I would like to know what is the best way to remove grass and prepare a 17' by 36' area for gardening? Do I till the grass under? Rip it out? Stomp on it?...I've had gardens before but I've never had to deal with such a big grassy area. The smaller areas I have I can just dig up and put down new soil but I'm not quite sure what kind of tool to use for this bugger. Thanks!

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question???

I'm sure you will likely get responses listing a variety of ways...some maybe better for you than others.

That is a pretty good sized bed. If it was me, I would mark it off with stakes and string. I would then use a total kill Round-up (or its generic Glysophate available a lot cheaper at Farm Supply stores). I would give that maybe 1 1/2 --2 weeks to work its magic. I would then repeat the spaying on any sign of green left, and give it another 1-2 weeks. By then It should be pretty well killed off, and then I would till, and amend with whatever is handy...well rotted manure, peat moss, compost, maybe some sand just depending upon your soil. Mine is clay here.

I would then plant, Preen (or it's generic) water that in, and mulch well....maybe putting layers of newspaper under the mulch. That should be a well prepped fairly maintenance free (of weeds and grasses) for a good long time.

next....

Sue

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 25, 08 at 14:58

If you can get ahold of enough cardboard, you could use the "instant bed" method.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instant beds

o

hmm...I read the link on instant beds and I have ALOT of access to cardboard...I may have to consider that. Also I discovered that my neighbors (we just moved here last April) have been dumping all their leaves and grass clippings in piles in the woods behind my house. I poked around in them and the soil looks great..guess I'll be tending to some compost piles too!

o

Good one Susan! I was going to link her to that one myself! :) I am giving that one a go myself this year,I am also trying Lasgana gardens,I figure if it is working for so many,it must be a good thing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here