Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barefoot_contessa

uh-hhhhhh...tapping Sue on the shoulder... :-)

barefoot_contessa
15 years ago

New weekly post please :-)

Keeping me on pins and needles here!

Hope I'm not bugging you?

Carrie

Comments (5)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

lol...still thinking...had a great one in mind the other day and now don't remember what it was...sigh. I usually post a day late anyway...I think, so maybe I will get inspired here later today and the 'good one' will come back to me.

Hope I'm not bugging you?
    No you're not...but the Indianmeal Moth problem I have is bugging me...but that is a rant for another time. I go on bug/moth patrol about 15 to 20 times daily, hoping to kill any I see before they have a chance to mate and then lay 60-300 eggs.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Indianmeal Moth

• stage_rat
    15 years ago

Sue:

If you're talking about the moths being inside your house, I suggest getting pantry-moth traps. I've seen them at Menard's. We got pantry moths into the house with some birdseed, and we had them for FIFTEEN YEARS!!! It was unnatural selection at work: the ones who escaped our clapping hands lived to breed, and very quickly every moth we saw zipped around too fast to kill.

I never knew about these traps for them until recently. So, we never tried them, but the moths somehow died out. We did try to keep everything edible--don't forget dog biscuits--locked inside plastic, but there always was some unopened cereal box that we thought we'd be opening and securing soon, and then we didn't, and the moths squirmed in somehow.

GOOD LUCK!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Thanks stage, but I have read up about the traps and here is what it says about them at the link I posted above.

Adult moths live only five to seven days with their major function to reproduce. Male moths are attracted to pheromone scent (sex-attractant). Traps can be hung indoors next to the ceiling, behind shelves, etc. to capture moths on a sticky board. In food warehouses, some use five traps per 1,000 square feet. A few well-placed traps (about $6.00 each) can detect moths. About one in eight Indianmeal moths that approach a pheromone trap enters it. The trap alone is a "monitoring tool" not a control method.

I have flypaper on my list for the next time I get into town. I figure one hung in each closet (pantry and utility) and a couple on the utility room/entry way, should catch most, if not all of them.

The major infestation I had in Jan with the larvae was in the utility room area. I occasionally see one fly into the dining room, or the kitchen or the living room, but I've kept the doors shut on the bath and bedrooms...hopefully they won't go in those rooms and go unnoticed.

I hope to be rid of them sometime this year if I am diligent about getting each and every moth killed almost immediately. I have flyswatters handy too.

Sue

• SusanC
    15 years ago

I had those moths years ago, and the cat I had at the time loved to chase them down and eat them. They must have been a real delicacy because she would make little smacking sounds every time she ate one!

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Those moths are annoying, I agree! They were a problem for me when I lived in Zone8 on the edge of someone's farm. The farm grew corn and wheat, which are foods for the moth. So, eventually, the moths would find their way from the farm into our house and 'bug' us too!

Fortunately, that moth seems to be nonexistent in our current area. But we do have something similar here.

A house pest, commonly found in Hawaii, that 'bugs' me a lot is the warehouse beetle Trogoderma variabile (AKA Flour Beetle).

I'm glad I managed to get rid of them by removing all infested and infestable foods from our condo. Tossed the infested foods and gave the infestables to a local soup kitchen which feeds homeless (they will use 'em up too fast for beetles to be a problem).

Then, we used foggers to chemically fog our house and kill any beetles that were hiding in cabinets or had gotten into my seed collection.

Not only does this beetle infest food items, it will also eat seeds in a seed collection. Grrr.

For more info on this pest beetle, see the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warehouse Beetle AKA Flour Beetle

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio