Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

3/30/09 Question of the Week

Do you attend any local (or not so local) Flower or Garden Shows,

What about Botanical Gardens?

What about Arboretums?

I for the most part have only attended local Daffodil Shows but have been to The Cincinnati Flower show (Once) and it was spectacular.

For years I have wanted to go to Bernheim Arbotetum and Research Forest in Clermont KY.

I'd also like to do some volunteering with the Garden Group there. Maybe 2009 will be the year that I get there and even get to maybe volunteer some. It is about 1 1/2 hours from home.

Sue

Comments (5)

• medontdo
    15 years ago

last month we went to the topeka lawn and garden show, that was nice!! i want to go to a botanical garden and an arboretum. that would be so awesome!!! i'll have to post some of the pics i took on my "site" **grin** LOL those were the one's of the stuff i so wanted!! talla and i talked about some of the water things, and how her fairies would love them. Lord knows, we have enough room, we just need to get a move on it!! LOL ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: barehanded totally nutso gardener :'}

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

I am a member of the MN Landscape Arboretum which includes flower gardens and try to go a least once a month spring through fall.

Also like to attend any flower shows that I am aware of and still in driving distance.

Whenever we travel gardens and arboretums are always on our list of places to visit.

My idea of a place to retire is near a garden where I can volunteer or just wander through part of each day.

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Im within bike riding distance of the Chicago Botanic Garden. Im there at least once a week. They are various shows on a regular basis and we go to those occassionally. Im always amazed at the flowers!

When you go during the non-tourist hours you REALLY realize how many people it takes to keep it looking good. There are DOZENS and DOZENS of volunteers and paid help. The staff is coming back this week and Im looking forward to the spring displays.

Ive been to the Minnesota Arboretum, (same one as above I believe), only a couple times tho. We have family in Waconia. I remember seeing a great blue heron eating a frog?? or something on the boardwalk.

• chrizty
    15 years ago

no but i want to this year:)

• SusanC
    15 years ago

I propagate plants twice a week up at the U.C. Berkeley Botanical Garden, and my husband and I go for long hikes there a couple of times a month. It is an amazing place; established in 1890, it has 34 acres and contains over 12,000 varieties of plants from all over the world. The garden is organized by region, e.g. South Africa, South America, and the plantings are very naturalistic. It is situated high in the Berkeley hills, surrounded by open space, and provides incredible views of the S.F. Bay and Golden Gate Bridge.

We also visit the San Francisco Botanical Garden (formerly Strybing Arboretum) in Golden Gate Park a couple of times each summer. It too is wonderful but a bit further afield for us. In March, I always attend the San Francisco Garden show. The gardens on display are usually a bit too impractical for my taste, but the vendor section is wonderful. -Of course, half the things they're selling I have seeds for these days!

Here is a link that might be useful: U.C. Berkeley Botanical Garden

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus