Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini gardening lessons

Posted by plant-one-on-me MI 5/6 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 08 at 12:34

Ok this may get long winded but I could use your advice...

I am planning on teaching 3 women how to grow vegetables. My daughter has some experience from when we used to garden when she was a kid, my DIL who has grown a few flowers, and a girl from work who has not even grow a house plant.

First as soon as the soil can be worked, I plan on having them come over to my house and dig up some grass (heheh gets my garden started LOL). I will teach them a modified SFG combined with a lasagna garden so they can keep them small and hopefully be successful and expand next year (note to self, yeah right!). I think I can get a pick up load of compost from a neighboring city to show them how to ammend the soil some. I have been gathering newspaper for the base as well. I will then have them go home and dig their own gardening spot.

Thanks to a couple big hearted people from this site such as Robin and Sue (and I am sorry I cannot remember who sends tomatoes for sase) I have some veggies and flowers coming. I also bought some of those cheapo 10/$1 seeds and spent the rest of my budget on a couple better brand seeds. We will plant a total of 3 small gardens plus mine which will have all the left over seeds so I can give them and a group called Focus Hope the excess produce. I plan on visiting Focus Hope once a week once the produce comes in so the kids can get fresh veggies along with the canned foods they get...I figure even if they only get a couple fresh beans a week it would be nice.

Anyway, My DIL lives in a mobile home and basically only has the space alowed for "flower beds" and has a 3 year old and my friend has a 2 1/2 year old. I was thinking of things little fingers could plant. I have the following seeds kids could handle...peas, dwarf sunflowers, zucchini and I will split the yellow beans I have by 4 (12 seeds) so each kid family will get 3 and of course if I get any larger seeds from Robin they will get those as well. I am starting peppers so they will each get 2 plants. I am starting tomatoes and think one cherry type and one regular type would be good for them. I am hoping to find some of those mini pumpkins for the kids because I think they would be fun and can be grown on a trellis or fence and I know they would at least get a couple to ripen.

Oh yeah, I am also have mixed zinnia, alyssum and forget me nots. I am starting a few to give each of them as well as some seeds. I also will have transplants of oregano, thyme and sage.

OK still with me? Now you know my thoughts. I would like any advice you may have to offer to help with this project. Any good websites that give very basic gardening information I could print out, inexpensive mulch ideas, etc.

Like I said I want to keep this simple so hopefully they will all get the gardening bug like me :-) Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini gardening lessons

Oh Kim...what a wonderful little (!?!) project for you to take on.

Have you maybe been to the Gardening with Kids (I thought kids were baby goats) Forum here? I just checked it out, and though it does not seem very active, there might be some good info gleaned from the threads there.

I read one, and it suggested getting the kiddies their own tools and gloves,,,making it special for them. (I'll add here too that they can additionally be taught to take care of their tools and put them in a safe place once they are done using them.)....... Note to self...do not let gloves lay as puppy thinks they are hers to enjoy like a small stuffed animal.

At any rate, it sounds like tons of fun. It sounds like you have given this a lot of wonderful thought, so I don't have anything else to add. Have fun!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening with Kids (children)

o

What a great idea about the kids having their own tools. I have a watering can I bought my granddaughter last year, a trowel and one of those 3 prong rake things still here. I think I will make a special place for her to put "her" tools. Maybe I could take an old bucket and add some stickers or something. Thanks for the idea!

o
RE: Mini gardening lessons, don't tell them but...

I just moved into a new home and have nothing, nada, except what some might remotely call a lawn. I figure some free labor, um, lessons would help me get my own gardens started LOL.

o
Can I fix it?

I forgot to click the little box so replies go to my email. Does anyone know how to fix it so I can get the replies? My email is sportsalibi@yahoo.com Thanks, Kim

o

No way to do that now...sigh...you'll just have to stop by here real regular...like a few times a day from now on, which you oughtta be doing anyway...tee hee hee. I like it over here...with so many folks I know, or am getting to know a bit.
I wish it was a bit more active oftentimes though. Sorry...not meaning to hijack this

Sue...rbb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here