Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hop seed

Posted by happygardener_2006 RI (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 8, 09 at 12:51

Does anyone have a mail order source for hop seed?

I want to hide an ugly fence and have been told hop will cover it quickly.

I know it can be invasive so I will plant it in a large container and be mindful of it's setting seed. I have learned a lesson or two on invasives.

I have a brewer's catalog that carries hops, but I don't need a ton of seed.

Or am I crazy to do this and should I look for another fast growing vine from seed or get something already established, any suggestions? I have inquired at flower shows and have called seed companies, to no avail.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hop seed

Sending an e-mail.

o
RE: Hop seed - no e-mail available.

I thought I was sending an e-mail. You don't have your e-mail set up.

You might want to get your Member Page email link set up.
I think I added a link to the instructions.

Please e-mail me. I can send you some info on seeds I would be willing to give you.

Here is a link that might be useful: addressing newbie and newer member issues

o

Hops are usually grown from rhizomes-sections of the root from an established plant, really. There are online sources-I think I got some from Oregon once, or check with a homebrew store if there is one in your area. My husband is a homebrewer, so this has been a good way to merge both our hobbies!

o

I have twice bought rhizomes from Freshops in Oregon. I think the minimum purchase is $9, for two types. Rhizomes are about 8 inches long, maybe - depending on variety. Good luck!

o

Try Pinetree Garden Seeds---they sell the rhizomes.

o

It is available as seed at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hop seed

o

THANK YOU ALL!
and thanks to chemocurl I've placed an order, ofcourse, it was for more than the hop seed! LOL

o

My son and a friend are brewing beer and want to plant a couple of hops plants along the fence of my yard. I'm worried that they will become invasive and when my son's interest in brewing beer ends, I'll still be stuck with the hops vines. Does anyone know how to control them or get rid of them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here