Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question regarding growing pumpkins!

Posted by fl_gypsy (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 31, 09 at 13:24

Hi, Does anyone know whether pumpkins will bear when planted in large pots? Ive never planted them that way but if they would bear, I would like to help my grandson plant some at his house as he doesnt have anywhere to plant them in the ground.parents arent gardeners and front/back yard is all nice lawn. I want to get him interested in gardening and growing his own jack O lantern seems like a good way to start. Once the vines reach the ground from the pots, they will be able to spread and we could keep them fertilized. Anyone ever tried this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question regarding growing pumpkins!

This arrangement shouldn't be a problem. As long as the vines can reach the ground. They send out rootlets along the vines. My brother had pumpkins a couple years ago that wandered out of the cultivated patch. The vines that grew into the lawn performed better than those in the patch! He just mowed around the vines, and pulled at the grass around the vines. One thing I don't understand though: If you are avoiding cutting the sod out of your yard to plant a pumpkin plant, setting a pot on the lawn will probably kill the grass anyway. If you want to use a pot anyway, make sure you use a large one for the main root mass, 5 gallons or more. Once the vines start trailing into the grass, just leave 'em alone and mow around them. Also, another tip: if you are having trouble getting a vine fruit like pumpkins to produce fruit, you can artificially pollinate them (there probably is a technical term for this). All you have to do is identify a female flower(these will have greenish nodes between the flower and the stem. Male flowers won't have these.) You can either rub a qtip on the male stamens, and then on the female flower or just gently pull off the male flower and rub it all over the female flower. I do it this way, since it seems to me that the plant produces more flowers this way. More flowers = more fruit.

Tim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here