Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outnproud

Newbie needing seed harvesting advice

outnproud
15 years ago

Hi Guys!

I am so excited to be a new member of GW! I have been a hobby gardener for a few years. I have a few perennial beds and I do a medium sized vegetable patch each year. I had never heard of seed exchanging until I wandered to GW. My question is regarding seed harvesting. All I have right now is a couple handfuls of bush bean seeds I harvested last fall, since they are easy to harvest. Do members typically trade store bought seeds or strictly home harvested? Are there any specific resources that you guys are familiar with that offer harvesting instruction?

Comments (8)

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Hi there. There is a seed harvest forum on GW. You can also just a post a spec. question and someone will help you. I started in January and have traded home harvested seed but mostly store bought as I did not have a lot at first. I have built up quite a stash through the various round robin swaps and trading. You can also take advantage of some of the posts for newbys to get free seeds. This will build up your stash to eiter plant or trade for others. The only thing to note is that some may not wish to trade for the 10c seed pkts. If you do have any of those, which I did, i just noted it on my trade page and anytimeI offered them to someone. Some will trade for them. Anything you are not sure of, just ask and someone will tell you. Everyone here is great and so helpful and kind. Just be very straight forward and upfront about what you are trading and to receive and you will be fine. If you are unsure about trading with someone you can check them out on the rate an review forum. That or ask Sue. Sue knowseverythig. Don't ya Sue. She is the best.

Did I leave anything out Miss Sue???????

Just trying to help. IFyou need anything else, just ask.

Nichol

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Hi outnproud,

Welcome to Garden Web and The Seed Exchange!

Do members typically trade store bought seeds or strictly home harvested?

Seeds for trading are basically from 3 sources and all equally fine for trading.
    1-Commercial seed-(store bought)
    2-Saved/harvested seed
    3-From other members, be it from a trade or a seeds for postage offer.

If the source is not listed on the member's page, it is usually assumed that they are 'saved' seeds, or that is what I assume anyway.

25 seeds (or more) is the typical/normal amount of seeds in a trade unless one specifies a lesser amount. There are several exceptions to the seed count though.

This thread Fewer than 25 seeds??? is a good discussion about it. Any amount one chooses to trade is fine, so long as the other member is aware of the seed count they will be getting.

Are there any specific resources that you guys are familiar with that offer harvesting instruction?
    Yes, there is a Seed Saving Forum There are FAQ there (link at the top of the page) and some of the more common seeds are covered. You can also search the forum for the particular seed you are inquiring about to see if there are any past posts. Use the search box found just below the list of threads as that will bring up just the posts for that one forum as opposed to the entire site.

The Seed Site (non GW site) is a great place too to view a wide variety of seeds and how to best start them.

Sue knowseverythig. Don't ya Sue.
    Nope...maybe more than the average bear, since I am a veteran, and have a 'lot' of time on my hands...but I too am still learning.

I see someone posted to your trade thread and they don't have an email link on their Member Page...sigh. I'm going to be a real busy body and go post the instruction link there so maybe they will see it and get their link set up.

Have you been to or are you familiar with The Rate and review Forum? The forum was created to rate and review exchanges and trades with other GardenWeb members.

Sue...resident busy body

• chrizty
    15 years ago

ive traded both. you can look at their trade page to see if they have any likes/dislikes, etc.
    like sue says let them know if fewer than 25 per pk. you can also put how many you put in your seed packs on your trades page so members will know.:)

• outnproud
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you ladies so much for your advice! I wish I had stumbled upon this wonderful community years ago! I looked through the Seed Saving forum, very helpful!

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Email me. I can set you up.

15 years ago

Well, Tim, I see your bean trade thread got plenty of action and that you posted that you were closing the post. You are off to a great start with your trading.

Don't be surprised if some members continue to post to it, as it seems that a lot of folks do not read any of the replies.

I see you used html code in your post. Good for you, but don't be surprised if it is not seen/noticed.

You might have to close it a second time if others reply and use big red bold.

Sue...resident busy body.

• outnproud
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks> Sue!

15 years ago

You are good!