Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Playing in the dirt, um mud, today...

Posted by plant-one-on-me MI 5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 14:58

Jordan, my 3 year old granddaughter, and I attempted to plant out some peas we started a while back. They are about 8" or taller now. I have been hardening them off this past week and today it is in the upper 50's woohoo.

We I just moved into this house last Sept. and there is no garden area at all. We trudged out to the spot I thought we could plant peas only to have poor Jordan's boots sucked off 3 times LOL. Well change of plans and I found a really big old rectangular planting box I had and we filled it up with some old leaves, compost, and topped it off with some extra potting mix. We then transplanted the peas in the paper pots we made and set them in what is now their home. An old iron fence stood on end for them to climb and they will have to do.

We then received some more seeds from Les (love2gardennc) and had to "go make more planets". Off to the basement to plant some more. Jordan then wanted to go eat her peas...poor kid I guess she thought they would be ready right away. Well we went to the veggie market and bought some edible pea pods and had those for lunch (this is what we planted).

I think this grandma is an "enabler" to this little girls new addiction! I am NOT even going to get her going on trading yet...I am very afraid I'll be spending a fortune on postage. Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Playing in the dirt, um mud, today...

I can just see a 3 year old stuck in the mud up to the knees - I'm sure you had to giggle a little bit!

Isn't it so sweet how kids look at things? I love it!

Diana

o

I think getting her addicted to gardening is a wonderful idea..that's why I garden, my grandmother did it to me!

o

You are the best! That little girl will remember these days for the rest of her life,I know I have a special Gramma like you!;)

Thanks for sharing these moments with us,I really do enjoy them!:)

o

Oh Kim...I can see that wee little girl getting her little boots sucked off of her, and the 2 of you probably having fits of laughter. That is great too, that she is learning to like veggies...nothing better than sweet edible pod peas...IMHO.

Sue

o

Kim, what's your address? I think it would be fun to send Jordan some seeds with her name on the envelope, so she make some planets that are hers alone. My parents let me have my first "garden" when I was three, and look where I wound up!!! LOL!!!
Dan

o

I'm adore hearing about you and Jordan and her learning to garden! Devina and Vince were so tickled with the seeds you and Jordan sent them and we got them planted, they're actually going to get to have a bigger garden, so we made them their own plot rather than just a corner of mine. Is there anything else that Jordan would like to plant? I've got some extras that I'd be happy to send to her like you did to Devin and Vince. They were so tickled to get their own seeds in the mail! Thank you again for that! OH! And the boys have decided that they need a frame for Jordan's drawing, it's from their garden buddy and it's a piece of artwork. :)

Kathy

o

Can anyone tell me how to post pictures...I have no clue and would like to post a picture of Jordan with some of her "planets". Kim

o

Sent you an email Kim! :)

o

More outdoor fun yesterday. Cleaned up the front of the house and "planted" our pigs outside. We both love pigs and I have all kinds we put out in the garden. I was able to rescue some sedums from the old house and we planted those. Not too muddy this time and both our boots remained on our feet LOL. We also potted up some pansies for the porch.

I'll try to post some pictures soon. Kim

o

Boy you ladies have been busy! :) I cant wait to see pics of the pigs and planets,it has got to be breath taking! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here