Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmom2_gw

Oh My Goodness - It Works !! Winter Sow

gardenmom2
15 years ago

I have flats sprouting. I am sooo excited. I only planted about 15 flats, b/c I was chicken and wanted to test the theory but let me just say WOW !!

This is a great way to plant, and I can't wait until next year. I am going to plant a bunch more now and just stick them outside to sprout when they decide. I had been waiting on my husband to finish my hoop house and d it the traditional way, but he has been working so much overtime hat I don't know if it will be finished EVER, So, I am going to jut get busy because I am sooooooo excited. I have painted daisy, maiden pinks, bellflower and mystery flat. I had a marker in there and it is mysteriously gone, so I have a whole flat of something I really liked b/c it is the whole pan, but it is sprouting really well , I just don't have any idea what it is LOL. We will see though.

Very excited newby here.

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

Comments (10)

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

Woo-hoo! I am new this year also. I have no sprouts yet, but am very hopeful! Especially now!!!
    Congrats on your new babies!!!

Carrie

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Yes, it works. You can grow darn near ANYTHING from seed. I was shocked when it worked for me. I couldn't grow squat from seed. Now, I don't even care - I can grow what I want.

Now, I grow from what I have gathered from my own plants - the ones that have performed the best and the ones I want to keep. Anything that doesn't perform is yanked.

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

This is my first year WS, too and I am in sprout overload! I'm in awe! Nikki

• divahethr
    15 years ago

me too woo hoo
    i had peas last week pak choi and arugula then we had the snow storm lol they made it.
    today I checked I had the lettuces mesclun spinach and cabbages and black hollyhocks(weirdo black hollyhocks had to be over achievers)

• quiltingfox
    15 years ago

Thank you to all the gardeners who helped me get started WS this year. Yes, it even works as far south as I am in central LA, even daylilies. So far I have over 30 out of 100 containers that have sprouts in them, and am eagerly awaiting more. So if you are in the deep south and want some info on how to WS please email me and I will share what worked for me.

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• clc70
    15 years ago

It sure does work. This is my second year of winter sowing and I have around 200 milk jugs planted. So far 21 have sprouted. And it snowed today! Brave little seeds.

• gardenmom2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All but 2 of mine how seelings now. I planted 22 so far. I am planting lots more this weekend as I trust it now. LOL I am still not sure about things like petunias, vege's etc, but perennials and annuals that are not "bedding" plants I am totally going to plant this way. It will be a long, busy weekend but I love it.

How is everyone else doing??? What are you sowing???? What is not sprouting for you and what is????? Just curious. I like to know what others are having luck with and not.

Nichol

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Why don't you post this on the winter sowing forum. Folks there woudl love to hear your story.

• susantexoma
    15 years ago

I'm doing WS for the first time this year too and it's going great -- it's kind of like magic, seeds are SO much easier to start this way! I'm in zone 7b, north central Texas, and our weather here in Feb. and Mar. fluctuates wildly -- we went from a high of 83 one day last week to a high of 38 the next day. This means I've got sprouts that I have to water and protect from the heat some days and have to bring into my garage to protect them from freezing other days -- but through it all, they're thriving. I've got rudbeckia, columbine, echinacea, calendula, hardy hibiscus, dianthus and more growing away like crazy -- it's really wonderful.

• token28001
    15 years ago

People are amazed to hear that I am growing dogwoods and lilacs from seed. Not to mention all the flowers. I can't wait to see what the backyard looks like in 5 years.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz