Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmom2_gw

Vege of the Week: Winter Squash, Give me your preparation Tips

gardenmom2
15 years ago

I started a thread last week. How to prepare different vege's that we are or would like to grow. There are so many vege's that I did not eat growing up and do not know how to prepare, so I thought I would ask. Last week was turnips. This week is Winter Squash.

Hi ya Sue. Thanks for the remindr. Lets talk squash. NOT ZUCCHINI. I know how to fix that, though I am sure we could ALL use more recipes for that LOL. I want to talk winte squash. I know howto use a pumpkin pie. Other than that, I am clueless. I have no idea how to use blue, hubbard, acorn, spagh. etc..... I have heard wonderful stories of baking pumpkin seeds, using spagh. squash as a spag. sub. but have never done it and would need step by step directions.

I hope to get lots of input as the turnips help was great. We also discussed greens and using some beans too, so check out the thread.

Nichol

Comments (6)

• outnproud
    15 years ago

Nichol,
    When I prepare squash at home I keep it simple. For acorn squash (my favorite), I prepare it like this:

-Preheat oven to 350
    -Cut the squash in half, vertically.
    -Scoop out the guts and save the seeds, if you wish.
    -Put each half face down on a shallow pan, like a jelly roll pan, or a cookie sheet with a low rim.(I don't worry about greasing or spraying the pan, but a little spray wouldn't hurt)
    -Bake for half an hour
    -Pull the squash out of the oven and set on the stovetop or another heat safe surface.
    -Flip the squash over and rub some butter on the fleshy parts. Season to your taste. I like just salt and pepper. My family likes it sweet, so they like to add brown sugar. Sometimes I add a sprinkle of ginger.
    -Put them back in the oven for 15 minutes to half an hour. Just watch for the edges to start to get slightly browned.
    -Now is the fun part! Digging in! I like to put a whole portion on my plate and eat it with a spoon while it is still hot. If you don't want to do that, an ice cream scoop works well to get the flesh out.
    -Once you are done eating dinner, and have visited with your dining mates for awhile, toss the empty squash rinds in the backyard for the deer or other critters.

I hope you enjoy this method Nichol! In my family, one half of an acorn squash is one serving. One half usually equals between 1 and 2 cups of cooked flesh.

• gardenmom2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you soo much. That is exactly what I am loking for. Any other ideas or squashes????

Nichol

• outnproud
    15 years ago

Nichol,
    Glad you like the look of that. I should amend that when you put the squash back in the oven, you should do it cut side up.
    Tim

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

I am loving your threads! Thanks for doing this. I was also wondering about how to prepare squash!

Carrie

• outnproud
    15 years ago

Some people like to get fussy with it-which is fine. Some people and books suggest some sort of weird water bath. I guess so it doesn't dry out. but if you do most of the cooking with the rind up, the flesh wont dry out. Squash has always been one of my favorite cold weather foods.

I have never done it, but my grandma used to substitute different squashes for pumpkin in pie. I am not sure of the method, if it is an exact substitution or not. I liked the flavor though!

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

Anyone else have other ways of preparing squash?

Carrie

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA