Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikkineel

Growing Iris from seed: UPDATE

nikkineel
15 years ago

Thanks to Sue for sending me Iris seeds a while back. With varying information about how to start the seeds, I decided to wintersow some just to see what would come up. Well what do you know, I have two tiny little Iris "Cliche" seedlings. Now aren't they the cutest things?!?

{{gwi:29040}}

{{gwi:29042}}

Comments (14)

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

Yay!!! How exciting is that! Can you tell us when you sowed them? I probably don't have enough "cold time" left to sow any now. Great job!!!

Carrie

• nikkineel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They were sown on December 26. I'm very excited! Nikki

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Carrie,
    I did IRISeseses last summer, I watered them alot everyday to help wash the dormancy factor off and many of them sprouted. Dont worry about the cold thing!

:)
    D

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

How neat! You will have to remember to post when they finally bloom. Of course that will some time from now, but it will be neat to see how much they resemble their mom or not.
    Remy

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

So glad u posted this. I also ws some iris seeds about a month ago and am really pleased you've have sprouted!

They are the cutest things!

Anette

• nikkineel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annette, I'm sure you will have sprouts. Don't give up on them. They are the cutest!

• natalie4b
    15 years ago

Nikkineel, I am so thrilled for you!!!
    It is extra special to have plants you start from seed - so exciting!
    Natalie

• outnproud
    15 years ago

I have decided to wintersow some irises that I received in a trade as well, even though it is early spring. Good luck with your little babies, Annette and Nikki!

• cattanoj
    13 years ago

**HELP! How To Grow Iris Seeds in Winter**
    I just got some "Wild Blue Iris" seeds and would love some information/direction on what to do with them and how to grow them. I know next to nothing about what I'm up against here; I love flowers and I want to learn to grow them; but I first must cultivate my garden.
    The package in which the seeds came states: "Germination 92%. Sell by 2/11. Purity 99.94%." I've got about 300 seeds, so I figure I can experiment with them a bit and get at least a few to grow. I live in Virginia (I'm not sure which zone that is in), and we just had our first light snow/dusting of the winter.
    Basically, I've a very general idea of a few different ways people say they are growing their Iris seeds in the winter, but I really don't know what to do.
    I've read people saying to refrigerate them, with damp paper towels. For how long do you refrigerate them? When do I take them out? When do I put them in the soil? I've read of putting them in a 1 gallon bucket and burying it up to 2 inches from the top ... for an unspecified amount of time ... and then planting each in separate 4" pots once they grow 1"-2" inches tall.
    These are some things I've read. I know very little else.
    NIKKINEEL, what exactly did you do with your seeds, when, for how long, etc.? If you or anyone could give me some concrete instruction on what I can do with my seeds, I'd be so happy and grateful ... and I'll send to whomever is so kind one of the prettiest flowers from the first batch that you help root and spring forth from the ground!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

I WS'ed some Japanese Iris seeds last winter as well and mine are about the same size. They are adorably cute and a great reason to be PROUD !! :) I was just so thrilled to see those cute lil green shoots coming up! I'm not sure how long it will take before bloom time but I can hardly wait! :)

~Wendy / sassyb.

• casagrande
    9 years ago

I just came across this on another gardening blog. I would love some feedback on this method:
    Japanese Iris Seed are EASY!

I can't believe it! My large handful of Japanese iris seed is beginning to sprout!
    What gets my goat is how doggone EASY it was!
    All I had to do was gather the seed pods and get the seed out of them. Then I tied the seed up in the foot of some pantyhose and I put them in the watertank on the "throne" for two months. The seed need frequent water changes so they don't get eaten up with bacteria and the throne's flushing action takes care of this nicely. Then after the two months were done, I took the seed out of the throne tank and wrapped them up in a wet papertowel and I put it into a ziploc bag. I put the ziploc bag into the refrigerator for 4 months of chilling.
    With the 4 months done, I took the seed out of the refrigerator and they are already beginning to sprout!
    I'll be potting these rascals up the rest of today.

• aquawise
    9 years ago

Here is a First Flower from a 2 year old seedling. I just plant them out in the faal and let mother nature help with the rest.

• gazel
    9 years ago

I love this... had no idea they grew from seed; is this with any variety or do some only grow from rhizomes?

• aquawise
    9 years ago

If thy make a seed pod you can plant the seeds when rip and dry. If no pod forms then the flower was not pollinated or is not fertal

Sponsored