Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Iris from seed: UPDATE

Posted by nikkineel GA 8/7b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 7, 09 at 16:29

Thanks to Sue for sending me Iris seeds a while back. With varying information about how to start the seeds, I decided to wintersow some just to see what would come up. Well what do you know, I have two tiny little Iris "Cliche" seedlings. Now aren't they the cutest things?!?
Iris "Cliche"
Iris "Cliche"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Iris from seed: UPDATE

Yay!!! How exciting is that! Can you tell us when you sowed them? I probably don't have enough "cold time" left to sow any now. Great job!!!

Carrie

o

They were sown on December 26. I'm very excited! Nikki

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 7, 09 at 18:28

Carrie,
I did IRISeseses last summer, I watered them alot everyday to help wash the dormancy factor off and many of them sprouted. Dont worry about the cold thing!

:)
D

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 7, 09 at 20:26

How neat! You will have to remember to post when they finally bloom. Of course that will some time from now, but it will be neat to see how much they resemble their mom or not.
Remy

o

So glad u posted this. I also ws some iris seeds about a month ago and am really pleased you've have sprouted!

They are the cutest things!

Anette

o

Annette, I'm sure you will have sprouts. Don't give up on them. They are the cutest!

o

Nikkineel, I am so thrilled for you!!!
It is extra special to have plants you start from seed - so exciting!
Natalie

o

I have decided to wintersow some irises that I received in a trade as well, even though it is early spring. Good luck with your little babies, Annette and Nikki!

o

**HELP! How To Grow Iris Seeds in Winter**
I just got some "Wild Blue Iris" seeds and would love some information/direction on what to do with them and how to grow them. I know next to nothing about what I'm up against here; I love flowers and I want to learn to grow them; but I first must cultivate my garden.
The package in which the seeds came states: "Germination 92%. Sell by 2/11. Purity 99.94%." I've got about 300 seeds, so I figure I can experiment with them a bit and get at least a few to grow. I live in Virginia (I'm not sure which zone that is in), and we just had our first light snow/dusting of the winter.
Basically, I've a very general idea of a few different ways people say they are growing their Iris seeds in the winter, but I really don't know what to do.
I've read people saying to refrigerate them, with damp paper towels. For how long do you refrigerate them? When do I take them out? When do I put them in the soil? I've read of putting them in a 1 gallon bucket and burying it up to 2 inches from the top ... for an unspecified amount of time ... and then planting each in separate 4" pots once they grow 1"-2" inches tall.
These are some things I've read. I know very little else.
NIKKINEEL, what exactly did you do with your seeds, when, for how long, etc.? If you or anyone could give me some concrete instruction on what I can do with my seeds, I'd be so happy and grateful ... and I'll send to whomever is so kind one of the prettiest flowers from the first batch that you help root and spring forth from the ground!

o

I WS'ed some Japanese Iris seeds last winter as well and mine are about the same size. They are adorably cute and a great reason to be PROUD !! :) I was just so thrilled to see those cute lil green shoots coming up! I'm not sure how long it will take before bloom time but I can hardly wait! :)

~Wendy / sassyb.

o

I just came across this on another gardening blog. I would love some feedback on this method:
Japanese Iris Seed are EASY!

I can't believe it! My large handful of Japanese iris seed is beginning to sprout!
What gets my goat is how doggone EASY it was!
All I had to do was gather the seed pods and get the seed out of them. Then I tied the seed up in the foot of some pantyhose and I put them in the watertank on the "throne" for two months. The seed need frequent water changes so they don't get eaten up with bacteria and the throne's flushing action takes care of this nicely. Then after the two months were done, I took the seed out of the throne tank and wrapped them up in a wet papertowel and I put it into a ziploc bag. I put the ziploc bag into the refrigerator for 4 months of chilling.
With the 4 months done, I took the seed out of the refrigerator and they are already beginning to sprout!
I'll be potting these rascals up the rest of today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here