Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agirlsgirl

Needing everyones input! :)

agirlsgirl
16 years ago

Hi all!

I am sure most of you are aware of the new movement to educate our new members of how things work here.

You may ask ,"why?'..."don't they have anything better to do?"...lol..well,here's what is behind all of this,if each and every person that joins us on this great adventure of collecting every seed and/or plant in the world,starts off with a good idea of how things are done ,everything will go smoother all around,we will have less stressed vet traders and less embarrassed newbies.

Nothing more discouraging to some people than public embarrassment.

As for the vet traders,I have read so many posts from so many fantastic people, that they are giving up on doing SASE/SASBE's and they aren't sure if they feel so generous any more,eventually, you notice they aren't trading so much either,than they disappear,that is sad to me,especially when most of the time these issues could have been prevented by the right information!, So,what I need from you is,to provide me with things you would have wished you knew when you joined.

Something that could have saved you from embarrassment or frustration. This is a fun hobby,and Sue and I are going to be working on something that keeps it fun and mostly stress free! So let's hear it, there are no stupid ideas,if it would have helped you,than there is some one else out there it will help also! :)

stage_rat,suggested on another thread that the definition for SASE/SASBE would be nice to provide people,that is a great idea ,and there has been talk of definitions,so those would be great to add. I would love to fill this thread with ideas,so when it comes time to put it all together it is all right here and who better to get input from?

I am not spilling the beans on exactly what we are doing,because we have yet to have our talk,but I did want to get a jump on this part, so we know what we are looking at,so suggest away and thanks! :)

Comments (45)

• dan_the_mailman
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's a few things that I'm wishing for as a newbie.....

1. Real names to go with everyone's handle here on GW, it's made making friends much easier!

2. A list of all the abbreviations that abound here. It took me over a week to figure out what an MG is! And, let's not forget my thoughts concerning LMBO! LOL! (although that did lead to getting to see Angie's jugs!)

3. Knowing how much postage to put on an SASE.

4. Knowing what is considered a "fair trade."

5. And lastly, I'm still trying to figure out the whole round robin thing.

And finally? I'd like to give a big THANKS to all of you I've met over the past few weeks and have graciously been patient and willing to help me figure it all out!

I'M SOOOOO GLAD I'M HERE!!!

Dan Coates, S.G.

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Excellent points, Dan! Send me an email and I'll be happy to help you with a Round Robin. I'm hosting one right now. My first host :) The theme is After Dark.

Here is a link that might be useful: After Dark RR

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dan we are happy you are here also! :) Like a ray of sunshine!

Kathy is now a R&R pusher as well....you go girl! :) Kathy,I am sure you have something to add,whatcha' think?

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

LOL! Well, right off the top, I can't think of much aside from the things we've discussed with Sue and the things Dan pointed out. Aside from reminding them that they need to look at the dates on a offer to make sure it's not an old one or closed.

Oh! And maybe a link to some of the instructions to making seed enves or to the printable ones? And a note that Wally world has the plastic ones 100 for about .97.

We might also put something together to kinda show or guide them through using a spreadsheet to keep track of their trades and SASBEs. Most Windows OS come with Microsoft works which has a spreadsheet.

And definitely a link to the Rate and Review forum. And reminders to both let the trader know when it's going into the mail and when it arrives.

And maybe some instructions on how to set up a BE to be reused easily? Like I do with the tape.

And making sure they have at least a blurb and a wants list along with their zone and state abbreviation.

And making a presence for themselves in the forum on the boards. I think that was one of the things that really made a difference for the ones like Dan and I. We made ourselves known on the boards and let people know who we are, what we're about and that we truly intend to stick around and be part of this forum. It helps make traders more comfortable with newbies.

LOL! For someone who didn't have anything really to add off the top of her head.. I got rather long, didn't I?

Kathy~ resident RR pusher :P

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL...I was thinking the same thing,boy I want to see it when she has something to say if this is not much!...lol..all fantastic ideas,and all will be included in some way or another. This is already a big help,knowing what others would consider to be of help!

• dorisl
    16 years ago

Please tell them that it is not offensive to politely decline a trade if its not working out for you. Its much nicer to say "No Thank you, I really wanted xxxxxxx" than it is to just stop writing.

Im holding several packets of seed for people who havent confirmed our trade and Id rather send it to a couple people who were nice to me. :)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

I second this...1. Real names to go with everyone's handle here on GW, it's made making friends much easier!
    It is one of my pet peeve...most member names are either long (like mine and agirlsgirl) or a very hard to remember combination of letters(like jaleeisa. Now Doris and Dan I have no prob with...lol

2. A list of all the abbreviations that abound here. It took me over a week to figure out what an MG is! And, let's not forget my thoughts concerning LMBO! LOL!
    wow...never even thought about LMAO or LMBO not being known. Add Nasties also to the AB please...along with PO,and BE...more will come I'm sure.

4. Knowing what is considered a "fair trade."
    Dan, That is covered in the existing FAQ and the link is found at the top of the page. Some of the info in them, is either obsolete, or could be much better explained...IMHO, but one thing at a time here....

Aside from reminding them that they need to look at the dates on a offer to make sure it's not an old one or closed.
    Please see my comment on this in the other thread...some are to be ongoing for a very long time...Like bakemom's newbie offer.

And maybe some instructions on how to set up a BE to be reused easily? Like I do with the tape.
    Great... I think there might be dir for that at the WS FAQ. Possibly Trudi would not mind if we asked her politely if we could use a part of or all of it...with credit to her of course too.

and yes...all the other wonderful things mentioned so far.

Keep 'em coming!

Sue...rbb

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

I think a warning to the newbies about if someone should ask you for MORE stamps, that it isnt allowed..I still see someone posting that did that to me, and I didnt know any better at the time. IMHO, that is being PAID for seeds.

There are some great Ideas already here...been trying to think back...

If bakemom is still doing seeds for newbies, maybe it could be mentioned as a way to "get started", and maybe we could all make sure she is still well stocked with seeds.."only" if Bakemom still plans to continue this, dont want to take anyone for "granted"....but this would give newbies a place to start...

Ill keep thinking....

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Neeneer neener :P~ Hehe, well, I started by saying I didn't have anything to add, then these ideas kept popping into my head of things that just a couple months ago I didn't know :) I'm still thinkin' too hehehe

Kathy

• ollierose
    16 years ago

Rather than designated one person to do it, I think the Sponsor a Newbie in the RR Exchange should be sufficient. Or even put it on the Seed Exchange on the conversations side. That way an veteran member can choose to sponsor someone when it works for them, they are in a similar location, etc. I worry that putting it on one person would be too overwhelming, especially if newbies come in droves. This is also a good way to get them to introduce themselves. Plus it gives them the chance to learn about a veteran and hopefully stick around!

Any information that can be found elsewhere on GW should have the link provided for easy access - such as the information about fair trades.

I think it's important to encourage newbies to browse all of GW over the first few days so they have a better idea of everything there is to offer. Plus they will know where to go for certain information and where to post specific questions.

Let new members know that they should check plants to see if they will grow in their zone. They should also look up new plants so they will be informed if they are invasive or poionous. Most members inform others, but they are ultimately responsible for what is planted in their yard.

This isn't seed exchange related, but the RR exchange can be very overwhelming for those that don't know anything about it. Maybe a small blurb about it?

Provide an introduction to winter sowing since it's so great!

16 years ago

This isn't seed exchange related, but the RR exchange can be very overwhelming for those that don't know anything about it. Maybe a small blurb about it?
    And/or maybe point to the Round Robin Forum Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Angie...I'm guessing starting with an outline would be the best way to start maybe...when we 'talk'.

and add FAQ to abbreviations as well maybe. Maybe in time we could start a thread just for the suggested abbreviations. think?

• plant-one-on-me
    16 years ago

I found it very helpful that Sue put a note on my first post that stated I had no email address and how to fix the problem...thanks Sue.

I think you need to warn newbies such as myself that this is EXTREMELY ADDICTING and you spend so much time trying to find your way around GW that you don't get the house cleaned LOL. Kim

• ollierose
    16 years ago

I 2nd the comment from Kim about GW being addictive! If only I'd known......who am I kidding!?! I'd still be here!

Diana

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

Angie,

Here's one that can drive all of us crazy, but especially new members.

All communication needs to have a GW name attached to it and a real name is really nice to go with it.

Even after 5 years of trading on GW, it isn't always easy to do mail with just a "real" name attached to it.
    There are too many people with the same first name, and unless it is someone that you always communicate with or frequently e-mail with, you can't always be sure who it is.

OK, Sue, Angie, I know you and our e-mails back and forth always have the same or similar info in it.

But how many have the same name?

Another thing that I really like to have when trading or doing SASBE is to have, what I cal, a running e-mail. All communication between both members keeps being added to the original one. That way everything is attached to one long e-mail that can be checked and rechecked and no one has to go searching for other e-mails to see what is going on and who it is from.

I started responding this year with e-mails that said, "please respond using this e-mail" and yet it still wasn't done a lot of the time and the response came with a "real name" and no GW name with it. In turn i had to waste time e-mailing back to this member with OK, who are you, what is your GW name?

To many e-mails go back and forth as a single e-mail without the details in it.

Did that make any sense? I hope it did. if not, just ask me to try and explain again.

Fran

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

hi Fran, comment on the running email...if I get an email sent thru GW, I cannot "just respond" and resend...I have to do a new email...I dont know exactly why, but it has been like this the entire time I have been on GW.

Sue...I think telling them to make sure their real name AND screen name are inside the envie on a thank you for trading note...I cannot tell you how many times I have recieved an envelop and had NO idea who sent it...infact I have one now I am still trying to figure out.

16 years ago

flwrs4ever-Kym
    comment on the running email...if I get an email sent thru GW, I cannot "just respond" and resend...I have to do a new email...I don't know exactly why, but it has been like this the entire time I have been on GW.
    I don't understand that one...I am going now to email you via GW. I have no trouble responding to emails sent via GW.

Sue...rbb

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

Sue, I'm confused.

Round Robin Forum Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

This does not sound like what the After Dark RR is. Does each person who hosts a RR decide how they are going to handle it? Wouldn't the After Dark RR really be a group trade of some sort?

I haven't joined any of these because I really don't know what they are.

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All of these are great ideas,keep them coming,post as many as you have,every idea will make a difference,we need all sides on this,newbie,oldie it don't matter!
    Thanks for the input so far,this is turning out pretty good!

Fran you can count on the name thing being addressed...lol...Sue will make sure that happens!:)

16 years ago

Sue, I'm confused.

Round Robin Forum Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

This does not sound like what the After Dark RR is. Does each person who hosts a RR decide how they are going to handle it? Wouldn't the After Dark RR really be a group trade of some sort?

Proud...you are right...and it is not covered in the FAQ there...grrrrr...yet another thing that needs addressed/updates...sheesh...this beast is really snowballing.

Sue....making not to self that the FAQ at RR could include some additional info on a 'Paired Up Swap' or whatever anyone wanted to name it.

Fran...I agree too that a trade/seed offer email should be kept running, with all the questions and answers all in one flowing email. There are some members though that I have seen that are not able to do that...worked with one the other day...never did get it solved, and I think her computer conked out b4 I could cover some details with her. It is either their email setting, or their version of IE I think...cannot remember now for sure. It makes me crazy though when there are 10-20 different emails and non of them answer the questions I asked. Sheesh....

16 years ago

I spoke too soon above. I read the FAQ at the RR Forum, and there is a FAQ covering a 'Secret Swap'...explained quite well there by our wonderful member love2gardennc/Les....or a Swap that is Not secret...like the After Dark round Robin, which I guess is not really a RR and is not secret....since the partners will be listed...it is a whole different thing I don't see mentioned.

The initiating member decides if it is a Secret Swap, (or a secret swap that is not a secret,) or a Round Robin, etc. I'm really not familiar with the RR Forum, so really should not even act like I know anything about it.

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I second that! I am clueless when it comes to that...hmmmm....I know somebody that isn't so unfamiliar with the RR,maybe she could advise us on that one!;)

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Well, as far as the After Dark RR, I followed what Michele (medontdo) did in the swap for Making New Friends before mine. The ones Michele did for Tulips was the first one I'd participated in. It was so much fun that when the group all agreed, I was ready to host my first one :) I think MNF is more of a secret swap, though. But I'd probably let someone who's been part of the group longer answer that. As far as the RRs, I've seen several different kinds. So I'm certainly no expert. It just seemed like a lot of fun, so I jumped in. MNF's RRs seem to be pretty simple and straightforward, that's why I was interested in it. SO anyone that wants to join in on it is more than welcome and the great group there will help them along :)

In MNF it seems to me from looking at the Tulips one and the ones before it, that it's a secret swap in as far as the boxes' contents are secret, but the partners are posted on a designated date for everyone to get things mailed off. In this one, after talking with Michele about it, I decided to follow what others have done in the past and request everyone send me their mailing addresses and stuff at sign up so that if someone's unavailable for a few days once the mailings start, I can still pass on their mailing address. That way no one is sitting with a box that's ready to mail, but no address to mail it with.

As far as the theme, I think that most groups try to sign someone up several months in advance to host a RR. In MNF it seems that someone just volunteers a month ahead or so. I was working up the After Dark while Tulips was still in progress, and while After Dark is underway, someone has suggested a Fairy theme for next month.

I definitely know what you mean when someone says it looks intimidating. I almost didn't join in MNF because most of them looked frightening and I was worried I'd mess it up! But I think that's part of MNF's purpose, you can join in a simplified RR, get your feet wet, learn how to do it at a basic level. Somewhere for newbies to learn the simplest mechanics of RR. It's also more of an anyone can join RR, I've noticed with several of the others that they have requirements, like time on GW, activity and some you need a sponsor from the group.

Back to topic.. another thing that I have a difficult time with is those that use several different email addresses during a trade. Thankfully so far, they have used their GW ID each time, but I'm still sure that I've blindly deleted one or two before realizing. Actually, I know I have, then got to wondering and checked them again before deleting my trash mail. Along with keeping a running email, it helps to use a single email for all GW stuff. My email will actually be changing in the next couple months - I'm getting married in May :) - I've already created the new email and will be posting it on the conversations side once I'm ready to move those things.

Angie, Sue, is there any part of this I could help with? I'd be happy to help with whatever you need to put all this together! I think it's great that you two are doing this. I know both of you along with several others were so helpful to me when I joined. I was really blessed to have several wonderful mentors here and was able to quickly learn how to do things and fit in and feel at home. So I'd like to help however you feel I'd best be utilized :)

Kathy

16 years ago

MNF
    hmmm...wondered about that one a bit...Make New Friends maybe?

is there any part of this I could help with? I'd be happy to help with whatever you need to put all this together!
    as far as I am concerned, just keep the great ideas coming at this time...Angie may have more to add though...This is 'her' baby, and I am a 'deputy' on this one.

Sue

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Mmhmm, Sue, It's Making New Friends :)

Kathy

• SusanC
    16 years ago

There are a few things that I like to see people do; Indicate how old the seeds are on their Have list; include a copy of the running email in the BE, or a handwritten note stating what the trade was for and their gardenweb name; label the seed envelopes with the botanical name, the cultivar, and the Month/Year harvested if they are from the garden; If they are from a trade, it's nice to see "trade" and the year. -It's great to know exactly what you've traded for and what its "pull date" should be.

16 years ago

Indicate how old the seeds are on their Have list; Great idea to be included especially with the build a trade list instructions.

Yes...and the seed packs themselves being labeled a lot better, particularly if their trade list isn't set up to show all that.

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathy,what would be helpful would be,if you would make up a list of definitions of all the RR terms.I am so lost on that one,along with Sue,it would be really nice to have someone help us with that one. So get together a list of definitions and any other helpful RR tips,like add something about how some of the groups have rules you have to follow in order to participate,I think I heard some of them require you to have traded with at least 2 people from the group first (which is understandable), if you would add those sorts of things I would appreciate it. Any help would be appreciated,the more that work on this,the better the outcome will be,a few heads is better than one! :)

Susan,excellent idea,I add a "?" if I am not sure of the year of the seeds,since this is my first year growing from seed that the seeds didn't come from my own or Gramma's gardens or purchased,I am not sure of the viability of some of my seeds until they sprout for me,I plan to add a symbol next to the "?" that means I had germination with that particular seed,so they will know that although I don't have a year for them they are still good.

It would be great to add botanical names,but only if you are 100% sure of the variety. I agree if the seeds came from trade they should be marked and listed that way. It is only fair to know where the seeds came from.If the date is unknown,that should be something people should know by looking at your trade list,so they can consider if they would be willing to take a chance on it,a lot of seeds I have received have no date.I think we will provide a general abbreviation key with the instructions like T=trade G=garden C=commercial kind of thing. I want to also push the idea that they should read what is on trade lists,that people have lots of useful info on how they trade or don't trade there,too many people don't read the entire list and will send emails asking for SASE to someone that has it clearly written on their page that they do not do them or send seeds in a plain envy when the person stated on there list that they only use Bubble envy's,I think I was guilty of this once or twice when I first started here.Since then I have given up on the plain envy's,especially when I got one returned ripped open,I used bubble wrap,but there were still crushed seed,I had to replace most of that trade before sending them back out. That was it for me,all BE from there on out.
    Maybe templates would be a good idea for some of this stuff.Anyway keep them coming,and thanks for really putting some thought into this,it is nice to see so many do really care about how things run here! :)

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Angie, I can certainly try, though I'm far from being an expert. I'll start putting something together and then run it by the MNF group and see if anyone has other suggestions. I know several of them are in other groups as well and could give me some insight. I'll try to have that to you in a week or so. I've gotta finish designing my wedding invitations!

Kathy

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Kathy that would be awesome! Ask the experts,great plan! :) Don't worry about rushing it,I am doing flowers and stuff for my BF wedding coming up on the 19th,so nothing will be getting done until after that anyway,it will be some time before we can put all of this together anyway.So get it together when you can,but please do not put it before any of your plans for your special day! Congrats by the way,I am truly happy for you! Oh and for Cliff for finding himself such a good woman and being smart enough to hold on to her! ;)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK,I have clipped every idea here so far,we need more! Keep them coming! :)

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

Angie.

Seed trade lists that are set up something like this.

Fresh 2008

Left over fresh from say 2007

Trades 2008

Trades 2007

Date on trade page when it was updated

general info on how many seeds in packets that you pack
    Something like all packets have at least 25 seeds, if small at least 1/8 tsp unless otherwise noted.

number of trades available

remove the seed name when you have none left.

I don't like seeing OUT listed beside the seeds

update the number of trades left

post on the top of the trade page if you won't do foreign trades

On packets of seeds all of mine are labeled like this

name of seed and variety if they are from my fresh seeds, unless i don't know what it is.

fresh and the year or what ever the year was

number of seeds if less that 25 or a lot more than 25, less than 1/8tsp or more

height of plant, light required and annual perennial or biennial

If they are extra's from trade they are listed under the from trade on my trade page and are labeled

name of seed

from trade and the year

based on the name of the seeds i provide light requirements, height, and annual perennial, biennial,

you can check my trade page to see how it is set up and i have a link to clikc to see a picture of the plant as well.

Anyone that wants to know an easy way to post a link for a pic, just let me know

Fran

• sassybutterfly_2008
    16 years ago

Hi everyone! I just somehow found my way over to the 'Conversations' area by some fluke of a click. :)
    I have to say this is an excellent thread of some wonderful ideas that are already very helpful to me!

I, like Dan up there had NO clue what MG's even were! RR's? Railroad was the first word that popped in my head! LOL I felt like such a doofus once I figured out! ANYWAY... :)

Fran - that list up there on how to mark your trades is FANTASTIC!!! I copied and kept it so I can use it as I build my tradelist in the near future.

Sue - Your info I came across on someone else's post on how to make sure your email addr is showing. Thankyou for that! Also your rampage on all postal carriers that are taking advantage of us.. it's wonderful for you to take all that time following thru with those. I hope you know I, and I'm sure WE, all really appreciate it!

GardenWeb is a WONDERFUL WONDERFUL source of information for the new gardener. I found it thru a search on seedlings on Google. I keep finding more and more forums and more and more info that my head is just spinning! I'm so excited to have such valuable resources at my fingertips. (literally!) Now tho, the Adopt a Newbie idea would be grand, even if it's just for a week or two as I haven't even quite figured out how to MAKE a post for a trade yet, other than just responding to others. :) AND I just figured out there's a rating forum... I'm learning a lil bit at a time tho.

I am just thrilled to be a part of this great big family!

Thanks everyone!
    ~Wendy
    sassybutterfly_2008

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

Glad to help Wendy.

Forgot to add that on my seed packets is my GW name, e-mail addy and real name on them as well.

It's nice to be able to simply record whose seeds you are sowing.

Fran

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

• mgood4u
    15 years ago

Back when I joined there was a FAQ that explained everything down to the cost of postage. I thought it was on the seed exchange. Is it gone now? I didn't check before posting this ;)

It didn't have a GW abbreviations dictionary though---that's a good idea. Dawn

15 years ago

I didn't read all of the above posts, and cannot remember, but here might be a new one.

Abbreviation ROS

Sue...rbb

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rose of Sharon! My arch enemy!...lol...

• colcol
    15 years ago

Help! I still don't have a clue! I've been searching solid 15 minutes so far looking for somewhere it says what OBF, MNF, MG, RR, LMBO! also ROS stands for. A search of "abbreviations" brought me here. Is there a way abbreviations could be included in the instructions for forum use? Also, a warning that Garden Web could become addicting! Just kidding. I've stayed up well past midnight again -- It's a totally awesome site!

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I seen you posted a thread asking about the abbreviations,did you resolve the others you didnt mention in your thread? If not here goes:
    MG=Morning Glory
    RR=Round Robin,not to be confused with R&R,that stands for Rate and Review.
    LMBO=Laughing my butt off
    ROS= Rose of Sharon

Yes,abbreviations are going to be addressed,the gardening season has got in the way of this project,;)...it will be worked on when the season comes to a rest for Sue and I.

"Also, a warning that Garden Web could become addicting! Just kidding. I've stayed up well past midnight again -- It's a totally awesome site!"

LOL...... it is highly addictive! ;)

• roflol
    15 years ago

Not that I think anybody here can do much about it, but the name "Round Robin Exchange" is sort of outdated to begin with anyway, isn't it? When's the last time a true Round Robin was done? With all the problems involved in true RRs, didn't they sort of die out in favor of swaps? Maybe I'm missing them, I don't get in here except come fall ;-] but I see primarily swaps. Just a thought.

And I also agree with Fran - if the seed is gone, don't leave it listed with the seeds still available. Very easy to move it to a section of Not Currently Available if you want to be able to cut/paste it back in later when there's more. Heartbreaking to find ~*~*~ Ohh! That Special Seed!!! ~*~*~ followed by the word OUT. WAAAH! lol

Terri

• dorisl
    15 years ago

HTML TRIVIA here you can use the comment tag to hide those seed names that you want to keep for future use but to kindly hide them from the rest of use.

:)

It would be nice if garden web's software include some easy table formatting, but oh well. Its a ton of work to code a table.

Here is a link that might be useful: comment tag notes

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Angie, I'm still compiling info to help out with the RR explanations. Been trying to answer new member questions about them and making notes about what kinds of questions being asked. That way I can hopefully put together something really comprehensive. Things are really busy here too between family and being a newlywed, school for the kids and my new DH, getting a new job (yes, at Wal~Mart, but at least it's in the Garden Center!), not to mention my gardens and preparing to set up five new beds this fall lasagna style. Just wanting to let you know I am still working on the RR portion.

Terri, there are still a few true RRs running. I think Traveling Daylilies is one and I know Incredible Edibles is doing a true RR this month. Those are just two that I know of for sure. Perhaps not as many as in the past, because as you say, issues occurring. I'm hoping to attempt to host a true RR myself next year in the MNF group.

Angie, maybe we could also include, can't remember if this has been suggested, a simplified explanation of how to keep track of trades, seed inventories, etc? I know I've had several new members asking me about this via private emails. To some it seems to be daunting because they aren't familiar with spreadsheets and other programs some of us use.

Kathy

• kizzyseeds
    15 years ago

It's a shame that a lot of vets disappear. I don't want to be one of them...it's hard for the vets too! I find myself looking for my trades through means other than posting a message on the exchange forum. I try to contact individual traders, after I've searched the lists for a certain seed, and I always read the member's page to see how long they've been on GW. I prefer a lower trade-profile these days (that's a sneaky way of saying I'm tired)!

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

I am doing the Newbie Seed Project again this year and there have already been some donations and a few small packs sent out. I think it will officially start in late September/October and will focus earliest offerings on winter sowing and then the main exchange.

I am not putting together that huge spreadsheet again, but remember, there were about 200 participants and 4,600 packs of seeds sent out last year. It's mostly SASBE and all packs are my choice to keep it simple.

Watch for my posts in about a month or so.

15 years ago

I'm bumping this back up, so newbies and everyone can see it, and maybe add more to it.

Sponsored