Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

Confessions of a Serial Gardener

dan_the_mailman
16 years ago

Serial Gardener. I guess I'd define myself that way. Luckily for me, my parents let me have my first garden when I was about 3 years old. It wasn't very big, maybe all of 4 square feet in a corner of their vegetable garden, but it was mine. All mine. Even the weeds were mine, and there were plenty of those! That first garden is one of my first memories. That, and learning why I shouldn't put my hand on the lawn mower exhaust pipe after Dad had just finished mowing the lawn. OUCH!!! I wanted to use some of the words Uncle Harvey used, but Mom didn't approve of, but, Mom didn't approve of them and I didn't want to go to bed without my dinner.

Anyway, back to being a Serial Gardener. Not a Cereal Gardener. No Corn Flakes here, by golly. Possibly a corny joke from time to time. Maybe a bit flaky occasionally. But no Corn Flakes. No Fruit Loops either. I'm a Serial Gardener, and proud of it.

So, you ask, where am I going with all this. Well, keep asking, because I don't know. I'm just along for the ride. I guess I've just been needing somewhere to talk about my love of gardening, and the consequences of it all. You can read what I post. If you want to. You can even comment on what I have to say if you'd like. Or not. Whatever strikes your fancy. But beware. If you've got an empty patch of ground in your yard, I just may sneak over your way and plant something.

hehehehehehehe

Comments (127)

• Ann
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm glad that the grass has no conscious feelings, I might almost feel sorry for it when I see these "terrible" things we all plan to do to it. LOL I just cleared a patch of ivy from my front yard...anyone need a few...thousand cuttings?

• medontdo
    16 years ago

can you just hear the lawn saying thank you dan for loving me, only to die?? poor thing!! mean mean dan!! (way to go) LOL
    that's ok i had to buy a big thing of mouse killer pellets, and told talla that it was mouse food, and only the mice could eat it. so she was soooo happy that we were feeding the mice so they would leave our food alone. i was such a good mommy. she just loved me soooo much for feeding the mice. do you know how bad i felt?? omgoodness!! LOL

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hey Ann! if you'd like to throw some of those ivy cuttings over the fence, I'll give them a home.

+++let no plant (grass doesn't count!) go without a home+++

I sprayed the grass today, and it's beginning to look a little peaked. hehehe good thing it doesn't have any vocal chords, I'd have to listen to it strangling to death.

and, speaking of murder, has anyone else seen the movie "Sweeney Todd"? it's a Johnny Depp/Tim Burton collaboration, and I just finished watching it. my review? amusing, but a bit creepy too. I'm not sure if I liked all the singing or not though.

okay, gotta run. I've got plants and seeds to mail out tomorrow.

oh! before I forget! wanted to tell you all what happened to me today when I took a bunch of bags of leaves to the parks compost pile. I was driving through, and saw what looked like a bunch of bulbs growing. got out of the car, and there were about 9 square feet of bulbs growing... tulips, daffodils, and a bunch of one I didn't recognize. I dug up what I could, and they now have a home in my stone circle. I love it when you make a surprising discovery like that!

okay, now I've really got to get going. TAKE CARE EVERYONE, AND HAVE A GREAT NIGHT!

-dan

• medontdo
    16 years ago

great score!!! :'))

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

Dan,
    You mean you're not going back to get the rest? Looks like we have to do some more "enabling" on you!

• Ann
    16 years ago

Dan,
    If you want ivy, I can send some with the eyeball seeds. You can have it all! I hate ivy, except maybe on some old cool looking buildings, but not in my garden. Too little space to waste it with some ivy!. Thanks, Ann

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda, my rule of thumb has been to always leave something behind for the next person to enjoy, and hopefully they'll leave some to spread for the next year. And yes, I do usually go back the following year for more! (grin)

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

LOl...Dan I don't have a "Miss Manners" next to me,I have a "Miss I hate Plants" right next door,so guess who is planting up the property line?...lol...Oh she is going to just love my yard this year! Ahhhh....I cant wait! :D
    I agree about the stones in the gardens,I have always added them,maybe a spot where something got eaten and it was to late to plant anything else,just pop in a stone! I put all of the stones we dig up here under one of my pines,all I have had luck growing under that particular tree is Holly,(which I love dearly),anyway,I love the look,even "Miss I hate Plants" complimented it,I guess being they weren't green and growing she seen beauty in them....lol.. I also love to use downed branches as borders around my beds.
    This years project is how to keep the neighborhood kids from using my yard as a thru way,a fence is going up,my yelling has done nothing,...lol...now the little "angels" just sneak through when they think I am not looking,well we will see how they fair today,I know it is evil but I was so mad to find a patch of wildflowers stomped to death by the ..."angels"...so I cleaned my litter box and added some "amendment" to their little path...lol...I do intend on removing it of course,I cant leave it there more than a couple days,but just maybe their parents will finally tell them to stop,maybe pulling out the old rug scrubber and removing some Hayden doo from there carpet will give them the same feeling I have when I find my babies smashed to smithereens!

And Dan I am beside myself imagining the look on that mans face when he sees all your grass is dead...lol..it will be priceless I am sure! :D

I am so glad to be back,I have missed all these fun conversations and it is so wonderful to have friends with the same affliction! You guys are truly the best!

• Ann
    16 years ago

Angie:
    You are a real devil, protecting your plants like that! I LIKE the way you think. I'm still trying to think of a way to turn our front yard into mostly garden and not wanna-be grass which competes with the crabgrass and other fun weeds for space. More lasagna beds, THAT'S whats needed! Anyone going to second that motion?

Dan:
    Is your grass still gasping? The good news is that after I pulled up some of the weeds out front, there isn't much in my front yard. Even the ivy is on the way out! Hooray!

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Yes Ann they have brought me to this point. I asked nicely,I asked not so nicely,they just don't seem to get it... I was left with no other choice...lol...I really feel the parents are at fault more than the kids,they have heard me ask them and they have done nothing. So we will see soon,they just passed through the yard moments ago,right along their little path...lol..the sun is going down and it should be dark enough they wont see it...lol..if this doesn't work I am going for fresh horse pies! ;)

And yes,I say go for more beds! Who needs grass anyway?:)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Angie, if you're really fed up with those "angels", plant some poison ivy in the horse poop. Talk about a memorable double-whammy!!! hehehe
    Don't just get evil, get medieval!
    Another idea would be to prune your roses, and "accidently" drop those thorny canes in that path. hehehehehe

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....I thought of poison ivy,but figured that one would back fire on me,because either I would get it or one of my kids would...lol...but now you mention roses....theres a good idea! Thanks Dan! hee-heee- lets see them limp fast through my yard...lol....

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

glad to help!

and now for a shameless plug..... I'm gonna go ahead and do the "Christmas in June" Round Robin. Check it out in the RR forum.....

• medontdo
    16 years ago

hmmmm, roses?? ok how about for a shaded area? i have ton;s of tree's my neighbors kids go thru all the time. ticks me off, i'm always yelling at them. stay out of my yard, i even make them get off my yard and walk back onto the street. LOL the one kid was like what??? i said that's what the dang street is for. use it@!! yes, i'm mean at times, but they just irritate the he** out of me!! although on of the kids loves to mow our lawn, i'm sooo serious!! LOL and do any kind of gardening!!
    i'm doing/trying to get to doing the sq ft gardening, but getting that hubby's but in gear is another thing altogether another thing!! LOL but then again its not like he works 5 days a week over nights!! LOL and works another job now on the weekends also even though he works his full time job. LOL

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

I thought of trip wires,but than I thought that might be a little cruel...lol...we are putting up a fence,but in the meantime,I would like to start planting out,I am not sacrificing my babies to those "angels",my kids have been trained to look where they are walking around the yard and while in someones elses,they check for green,I tell them "If you dont know for sure its a weed,walk around it",my son will not step on a dandelion,as a matter of fact he has asked me to trade for more...lol...he knows they are weeds but he likes them,so guess what Devin wants in his garden "right up front"? We will be dead heading...lol...
    While my son is saving nasty weeds...(much like his mother in many ways...lol..I did keep a poison hemlock around..seen it drop thousands of seeds and changed my mind,I am still getting rid of those)...anyway,I will be waiting to hear screams of terror ,when they wonder what that smell is coming from their carpets,a couple of them did step in it,I checked...lol..hubby shared his dinner with kitty.....so we know how that goes...lol....oh we are too bad! :)

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

Oh, my, my, so wicked! There's not much worse than cat poo, unless it's pig poo. You don't have access to any oinkers do you?

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

LOl....yes you are right about that,but unfortunately no piggies here,:(. Darn! And such a good idea! I wonder if I could trade someone for some...lol... I will be patient,they have no clue who I have on my side here...lol...the little "angels" will go down! ...lol..oh how I love you guys! :)

• Ann
    16 years ago

So Dan, any more news on your dying lawn? Has your neighbor complained that you are being cruel to herbaceous plants? The ivy, unfortunately, was picked up by DH and thrown away when I wasn't looking, but the good news is that I have LOTS of seeds that I'm sending out to you tomorrow.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

you have seeds?? LOL man i never saw seeds for ivy, what kinda ivy is it?? i have the kind that grows on rocks and on the sides of the buildings they are so pretty, every year i try and get it from my moms. this year i think i'm actually gonna be successful!! i put mine in a plastic baggie, and had paper towel at the bottom around the roots, and some are forming roots on another plant, and on that same type of plant i did the baggie method and put stay green soil in the bottom and put the roots in them and left open except for the one area where i have the clothes pin holding it to the basket, i don't know if those are forming roots, but i've been spraying with water, i'll post a pic so you'll have a visual of what i'm talking about, because everytime i put stuff in water it rotts, so i've been lurking in the propogation forum and that's one of the methods i guess someone uses. something like that, LOL
    its definately working here!! :'))
    yes dan!! tell about the lawn!! :')) we have to hear, especially since i know my hubby won't let me do that to mine, 3 lots of lawn an he wont let me take it out!! my plan, plant OVER it!!! LOL **evil laugh** theres more than one way around that answer of no. a word i cannot stand for!!! HEE HEE at least told to me!! ***onry grinn***

• medontdo
    16 years ago

{{gwi:29513}}
    {{gwi:29514}}
    {{gwi:29515}}
    they look pretty good for being like 2 weeks old!! LOL

• Ann
    16 years ago

Medo, No seeds, darlin'...I had pulled up a garbage bag full of ivy and was about to throw it away when Dan said that he wanted it. LOL I don't think I've ever seen ivy seed, but if I do I know where to send it :-)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Angie...just be thankful it isn't cows trampling things...in the night.......sigh

about the strangest thing I have ever seen

iris, sedums, daffs...stepped on big time. All will thankfully survive though.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ohhh i thought you said you said you had ivy seeds, i was like what?? i never seen seeds. LOL maybe if they were in the sun?? hmmm....i just might do that with the 5 leaf one i have tryna crawl all over my house!!! LOL and see if it does anything!! LOL i'm thinking about putting all of my sweet p's in their different hanging baskets, and hanging them up, just in case we have to move. then its less we have to move. LOL

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

LOL Sue! Unbelievable! Well Hubby told the "angels" they are not to walk through anymore and talked to parents,so hopefully it will not happen again,he is much bigger than me so maybe they will listen to him...lol...oh and the ones that live behind us have a gate that opens in to my yard!..well hubby stacked the firewood in front of it yesterday,so I guess that wont work for them anymore!

medo,did I miss something? Did you say you may have to move? If so good thing you are thinking ahead with your babies! :)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

if hubs gets the job in ellsworth as a full time cop he's gonna move us there. its 2 positions out of 5 people interviewed. his chances are pretty good. he has to take a paycut of 1.50 but to him its worth it. i guess. LOL good thing that gh never got set up!! LOL then i'd have to take it back down!! LOL

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Well thats great! :) will he be Officer medo?...lol...I wish him luck!

Yes it is good that gh didn't get set up and filled with plants,you may have had to live separate lives...lol...

What do the kids think about the move? I cant wait to sell this house and move,but we have a few years yet to go! I really was hoping it was going to be this spring,I guess I can be patient a few more years,especially now I have my territory back! :)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i'm not sure, on one hand, anxious, on the other hand, i kinda like it here, but then again if it means a country house, i'm all there!! LOL

• Ann
    16 years ago

Medo, If you do move I'll send you more seeds to compensate for your loss of current garden! It will be what's planned out for your life - learn to roll with the punches! (Like I'm any good at THAT! LOL)
    Hugs
    Ann

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Oh the country would be great! :)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i'm not good with rolling with the punches either!! LOL ummm cool ann!! my other enabler!! LOL we still haven't heard anything yet. ahhhh the waiting game!! LOL its so much of a pain!! LOL
    grant is listening to a song on the youtube about cuz i got high, LOL its a catchy tune!! LOL its rapp music. man youtube has absolutely everything!! i bookmarked a bunch of stuff for planting and propagating. ;')

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

will he be Officer medo?
    LMAO!

but then again if it means a country house, i'm all there!! LOL
    Well in that case I hope you get your country home. Every gardener needs at least a few acres....or better yet, 40 acres and let a farmer rent any excess until it is 'needed.'

Sue

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hello everyone... been fighting a springtime cold, and losing... hope everyone is doing okay. talk to you soon...
    -dan

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

"handing Dan a hot toddie"..here you go, this will fix you right up!

• Ann
    15 years ago

Dan, The ladies in your fan club want more installments of the SG...please! Hope you're feeling better! Ann

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann, fan club? Now, that's just cool. I'll get another installment done this weekend. Fighting off this stupid cold and training my new sub at work has me just about wiped out every day be the time I get home. (hmmm, is that me whining??? if so, well, "this is my thread and I'll whine if I want to, whine if I want to, you would whine if it happened to you")(the previous to be sung to the tune
    "It's My Party by Lesley Gore)
    on a more upbeat note, I did manage to spend almost $300 att the local nurseries since yesterday. I'm hoping to do some planting either Sunday or Monday.....

more later ladies!
    -dAn, S.G.

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

"handing Dan a box of crackers to go with his whine"...

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

uh, you're supposed to be giving me cheese... I prefer swiss, blue, or colby, thank you!!!

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

picky, picky, picky...."throwing moldy, crumbly, stinky blue cheese at you".....

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well, i've been threatening to make a new entry for the past couple of days, so here it is... not exactly a true confession, but i did say at the beginning of this that i didn't know where i'd be going with these.....

hmmmmm... where to start? yes, i did get the chance to get filthy dirty today. i planted a japanese maple and some variegated japanese grass in the front yard this morning, some astilbe in my stone circle, some creeping phlox along the base of the trailer next door, and also put 3 willow trees in the ground too. i'm going to have to move those trees in a few weeks once the back 2/3 of the lawn is completely dead and the round-up has gone away, but for now they're in the same plot as my blackberries and raspberries.

after doing all that, i had to get ready for my lunch date, which turned out extremely well! (innocent look...am i pulling it off???) we went out for chinese, then came back to my place for the rest of the afternoon. (big wolfish grin)

after i took her back home, i "walked my fields" and saw that some of my grapes have started to leaf out, and my raspberries have begun to leaf out also. then i raked leaves for a few hours, took Bump outside and gave him a good brushing (where'd all that hair come from?) and decided that Jason was going to get a trip to the vet to get a haircut. there's no way i'm going to try cutting his hair by myself! that's over 30 pounds of cat, and he's got some pretty sharp claws on his back feet, and isn't afraid to use them! he's left some pretty mean-looking scratches on me, and i'm not going to give him reason to leave more! then i turned the sprinklers on over the parts of the yard where i'd done some planting, and sat out on the porch in my rocking chair discussing matters of state with my parents for about an hour.

after that, i came in, cut my hair, and proceeded to clog the drains with all the dirt i'd gotten on myself while raking all those wet leaves.

oh! almost forgot! when i took the leaves back to the park's compost piles, i found a trunkload of ivy someone had dug up and thrown out! of course, i brought it back to the house, trimmed it up, and it is now soaking in a large cooler by my back steps, waiting to go in the ground.

it sure felt great to get out there in the dirt and work with my plants and get rid of those leaves! the lawn has another week to go before it's completely dead, then i can borrow my dad's tiller and work up the ground.
    i figure that part of the yard will pretty much look like a living quilt when i'm done planting flowers, veggies, and perennials out there! (huge grin)

and now i'm going to bed! i didn't realize how full my day has been until i made my report to you! lol!!!

i'll try to not let it be so long again before my next entry, okay? forgive me???

-dan, s g

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Wow, notice how he mentions he has a lunch date, and skips right over the details...LMAO ! I am so glad to hear you accomplished something in the yard...I hope at some point you will post some pictures.

I think I can hear your grass crying all the way here...

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

DAN!! Get over here and give us DETAILS !! Sheesh .. you'd think he was too busy playin Santa on the RoundRobin side o' things!!! *innocent...completely innocent..really .. grin

Hugs all!
    Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nope! Not gonna give you any details. This isn't THAT kind of forum..... though I do remember in the beginning being shown someone's jugs... and there have been naked ladies mentioned a few times, though I've yet to see any...

Just what kind of details are you wanting? I'm single, 42, and male. I know some lady-friends who like to spend time with me, doing various activities. (grin)

And yes, Wendy, I've been spending a lot of time over on the Round Robins! (grin) Those are way cool to participate in, and a lot of fun to host! Trying to get all you ladies to sit on my lap can be time consuming! hohoho

As for my lawn, it's now a lovely shade of straw brown, having gasped its last breath this past week. My neighbor with the "oh so proper" English garden doesn't even look over here any more, but that's okay. I understand. She's been a bit busy attempting to eradicate the spearmint which has shown up in her yard this year. And I simply have NO idea where that could've come from! (attempting to look innocent here, is it working?) It's just happenstance, truly, that I happen to have spearmint in my yard. There's just no way the birds or wind could've carried some seed across the yard and into her very formal garden. No way at all!
    And, did any of you know that mint can grow through pavement? Not only does it continue to spread in my garden, but has begun to burst through my paved driveway! Cool, eh?
    Don't you just love invasive plants?
    I DO!!!

Tomorrow I'm going out to my parents' house and making a tipsy pot planter for my mother. And, while out there, my dad and I are going to look for a pine tree and a stump for me to bring home. I want to plant the pine tree in my yard and do some minimalistic bonsai with it, and I'd like to turn the stump on its side and use it as a planter/plantstand. Then, of course, I need to plant some corn and see how that does. The days are still a little cool around here, but one of the guys at the office is also a farmer, and he suggested I plant some trial rows this week to see how they do. Fresh sweet corn, just pulled off the stalk. Now, doesn't that just make your mouth water?

And that, my dears, is it for now. I've just noticed the time, and need to be getting ready for a date. And no, there won't be any details about THAT either!!!

HEHEHE HAHAHA HOHOHO HUHUHUHUHUHUUUUUUUUUUU

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Well.. let's just call you Santa Studly shall we?!?! :P

• Ann
    15 years ago

Oh c'mon Dan. You know we're your best advice on EVERYTHING (Big GRIN!!) BTW hope it's a good date and that you get back in time to work on the Round Robin stuff. We wouldn't want you tired out so you can't do what's most important ;-) But serious, I hope you enjoy this lady's company and that the date is a fun one. Cheers, Ann

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

I am glad to hear you don't kiss and tell! :) DH likes to tell anyone that will listen...lol.....I could kill him at times,he will make stuff up to make his poor mother blush! I wont even tell you what he has told her I FORCE him to do...lol...

Sounds like you are making great progress! Glad to hear the grass is on it's way out ! I just realized I haven't spoiled you with seeds yet! :O How can that possibly happen? I noticed you only have white Datura on your want list,I have several types I would love to share if your interested.Maybe there is more that you would like to have? I have some invasives I could tempt you with! Just let me know,if not now, I can catch up to you later! :)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay kiddies, I think I'm going to wrap up this thread for the time being. Yep, for now, I'm done confessing. It's been getting more and more difficult to find the time to write as I get more involved in other things, like round robins and my garden. But, don't worry! I'll still be lurking around the ol' GW, making comments and stirring things up. And, I'll be back to my story-telling in the fall, to keep you all warm by the fireside as the nights get longer, the days grow colder, and our minds turn to wondering if we'll ever see Summer again. This is not good-bye, oh no! Just a note to say, "see you down by the creek, or in the fields, wielding the hoe or harvester".

So, as we bid adieu to this thread, let me remind you of one thing before I go.....THE LAWN MUST DIE!!!

Take care, and see ya 'round the mulberry bush!!!

-Dan, S.G.

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

...well I guess all good things must come to an end! Have fun doing your thing Dan,and we will look forward to you in the fall....maybe we will all have more time then! :)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gee, you make it sound like I'm disappearing or something. I'm not going away, I'll still be here. just won't be any more confessions for awhile, that's all.....

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

lol....I didnt mean to make it sound that way...lol...

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

LMAO! (I can't afford to loose any of my boobs!)

Dan, I have LOTS of empty space, some where there isn't even grass! Sooooo, if you want to come plant, I'll send ya directions!

Also, since your coming from MI, maybe you could stop by my old house and get the rest of the plants I couldn't bring with me!

Vic

Sponsored