Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confessions of a Serial Gardener

Posted by dan_the_mailman Michigan (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 08 at 19:14

Serial Gardener. I guess I'd define myself that way. Luckily for me, my parents let me have my first garden when I was about 3 years old. It wasn't very big, maybe all of 4 square feet in a corner of their vegetable garden, but it was mine. All mine. Even the weeds were mine, and there were plenty of those! That first garden is one of my first memories. That, and learning why I shouldn't put my hand on the lawn mower exhaust pipe after Dad had just finished mowing the lawn. OUCH!!! I wanted to use some of the words Uncle Harvey used, but Mom didn't approve of, but, Mom didn't approve of them and I didn't want to go to bed without my dinner.
Anyway, back to being a Serial Gardener. Not a Cereal Gardener. No Corn Flakes here, by golly. Possibly a corny joke from time to time. Maybe a bit flaky occasionally. But no Corn Flakes. No Fruit Loops either. I'm a Serial Gardener, and proud of it.
So, you ask, where am I going with all this. Well, keep asking, because I don't know. I'm just along for the ride. I guess I've just been needing somewhere to talk about my love of gardening, and the consequences of it all. You can read what I post. If you want to. You can even comment on what I have to say if you'd like. Or not. Whatever strikes your fancy. But beware. If you've got an empty patch of ground in your yard, I just may sneak over your way and plant something.

hehehehehehehe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confessions of a Serial Gardener

Hi Dan
I'm Alberta, and I'm a winter sower, also a seed addict and I've been reading your posts, and LMBO (laughing my butt off). What originally caught my eye about your posts though is Mailman. Gee, I'm married to one of those. Have fun with the many forums, but no going postal on us please, LOL
Alberta

o

Dan I loved it! Keep it coming,any time you want to confess,I will read and more than likely comment! :)

Gramma,got me started pulling weeds when I was 4,I was entertained,and she didnt have to pull many weeds. I loved it! Not so much now,but I do find it relieves stress,along with digging. I tried to give the bug to my daughter when she was about 3 ,she loved it,although her gardening consisted of pulling Marigolds out and re planting them everyday!...lol..do you know they lived and somewhat thrived?...lol..Anyway,she is into it to an extent now at 15,but my son,he is liking it already! He likes to ws and is looking foward to his first garden! We are going to have a good time this summer!!! :D

You shall be dan_the_mailman,SG(serial gardener)...lol..it's so nice to have you! :D

o

well Dan, it's great to see another one caught in the Garden Web! "giggling"

Linda

o
Friday Night, & I'm playing with my......

seeds. What were you expecting? When I got through delivering the mail today, I went to McD's, got an iced tea, and drove straight home to see if there were any seeds in my mailbox. JACKPOT!!! Three envelopes. Drive carefully down the street to my house, and rush in to see what I've got. (salivating with anticipation did NOT occur, but I can foresee the possibility of it happening) Of course, Bump, my grey tiger-stripe who will be 1 in July, wanted to be petted, so I sat down on the couch, propped my feet up on the coffee table, most graciously accepted the presence of an 11-pound (and still growing) cat on my outstretched legs, and proceeded to open my letters. Of course, Bump had to help. At least, that's what he thought. And yes, that's what happened. He's very helpful. Simply refuses to do the dishes though. But, he does make a very effective alarm clock, so he does come in handy from time to time. Anyway, back to the seeds. (Do I notice saliva at the corner of your mouth???) Three envelopes, twenty-eight packets of seeds. Today. With more on the way. I have a trailer court lot to plant them in. And yes, they will be planted. As will the corn (2 types), dill, cukes, cosmos, raspberries, blackberries, grapes, willow trees, liatris (thanks Diana for trading some for the Star of Bethlehem!), and bags of bulbs waiting for the ground to warm up. hehehe
Which leads me to what I wanted to talk about tonight.
The title of all this "Confessions of a Serial Gardener" is meant to have a bit of a sinister feel to it. After all, I'm not always a pleasant gardener. I do kill things which get in the way of me having my garden. Weeds, for instance. Mosquitoes. That little old lady a few years ago who thought SHE should have the last tray of grape tomatoes at the local nursery. My lawn.
Yes, I said it. My lawn.
My lawn has got to go.
It's in the way, and really serves no purpose. It grows, I mow it, and it grows again. It provides no pleasure. No fruits. No flowers. No vegetables. It's just there, biding its time, growing, so I'll have to take another 30 minutes out of an otherwise pleasurable weekend, and mow it. But, not this year. Oh no, not this summer!
You see, I have plans, plans I've crafted over the past year. Next weekend, I'm going to wal-mart and buying enough round-up to spray my entire lawn into oblivion. While my neighbors watch their lawns "go green", I'm going to watch mine go gently into that good night. It won't be missed. Not at all. When it's gone, I'll be able to plant my seeds, bulbs, vines, and trees, creating a garden. And, should I get the hankering to mow, my neighbors all have lawns.
But, for now, I'm going to be content to anticipate the deathcry of my lawn, and play with my seeds.

o

"playing taps with a bowed head"..alas, dear lawn, I knew you well....

I agree Dan, actually, I too, am going to do away with a LARGE portion of the yard. The whole side is going to go..(17'x36') and is going to become a beautiful butterfly garden. The area in front of my steps in the front will become a cutting garden. The area by my bench out back..a shade garden....which is why I've been lurking around warehouses gathering cardboard...MAAAWWWWHHHAAAAAAAA!!!!!

o
RE: 'helpful' cats

by the way, we have 7 cats and I know all about how "helpful" they are in opening seed bubbles!.."hiding yet another bubble away from Calvin the Curious".

o

Hi Dan, Thanks for the update...love your writing style!...very entertaining.

Next weekend, I'm going to wal-mart and buying enough round-up to spray my entire lawn into oblivion.
Don't mes with those little containers of Round-up at WM for $15 to $25...not sure what they are any more which is 18-28% Glysophate....maybe 41% for the SUPER Stuff.

You can get a 41% glysophate in a no name brand that works just as well, in a 2 1/2 GAL jug at Farm and Tractor Supply Places for maybe about $50....maybe a bit more since gas has raised everything. I bought two 2 1/2 GAL jugs a few years back, and think I might have enough to take me on out...if'n I don't share too much more of it. At that price I can mix it strong, get some quick kill, and spray whatever I want whenever I want.

Sue...a Round Up nut at times

o

I hate my "lawn" too! If it werent for the kids needing a place to stretch their legs,I would do away with every bit of grass,well except the ornamentals! I hate it,all it is ,is a pain in the rear and requires time and doesnt give a darn thing back! Well except for clippings for compost....lol..yes Dan I agree,your writing style is great,such a colorful person you are! And you love cats!:)

o

LOL! I really enjoy reading your writings, Dan! Poor Cliff came home from delivering today to be met at the door by the our mailman who promptly gave him not only several letters, but two bubble enves full,a box from Parks seeds with some special begonias and flowers the boys wanted along with another box from Diana with my Iris and Daffodil bulbs and several packets of seeds! He's standing there holding all this and looks down at me in my office chair busily packing up several more trades and five SASBEs I offered last night and says "I'm really tired of delivering mail today." with the cutest grin and wink!

Kathy

o

Dan...is there any chance you would be willing to cover your yard in carboard, and lasagna garden ?? I am no expert..but I do know that things like round up are killing off our insects..and causing trouble...so maybe you can give it some thought ??

Although I do have this vivid picture of you outside running around saying "die, grass, die.." as you spray the grass. I do have to say I have many friends that would just love to marry you, AS their hubbies always complain that they are taking AWAY there precious grass...LMBO.

I have a cat that likes to "help too" and he enjoys chewing on the little plastic bags, and if I am sorting seeds, laying right on top of everything...

Love your writing, cant wait to hear what is happening tomorroW !!

o

Lasagna Garden? Wouldn't that take a lot of noodles? And, just imagine all the tomato sauce it would take to cover just one layer, and I like at least three layers of stuff in my lasagna when I make it!
And you're wanting to introduce me to your married friends? That might get a bit complicated. Have any who are single? If you're going to be fixing me up, my ideal woman would be red-haired and a singer. Playing piano or guitar would be a big plus. Also, I'd like it if she could already cook so we could take turns in the kitchen, and her turn wouldn't just be endless bags from McD's or BK. YUCK!
Now, as for that picture of me running around the lawn yelling "die, grass, die...", that would be the one with me holding a spear so I could occasionally stab it, wouldn't it? Sort of a "Lord of the Flies" kind of moment?

And, I have to confess this. Whenever I read LMBO, I'm still thinking someone is losing her boobs, even though I know that's not what you mean. LOL! hehehe hahaha hohohohoho hehehehehe snort! (sorry)
(grin)

Uh oh, now I've done it. My maine coon cat, Jason, who is all of 3 1/2 years old, is here to inform me it's past my bed time. Yep, that's right. One to tell me to go to bed, and one to tell me to get up and go to work. Off I go.....

o
plant immediately

Okay, I can officially say that my outdoor planting season has finally started. A little over a week ago I came home to find that the great god Gurneys had deposited my humble requests on my front porch. Of course, I was supposed to PLANT IMMEDIATELY, but, as I longingly gazed out over my snow-encrusted yard, I realized that wasn't going to be happening. So, I hauled the box into my humble abode, fended off my "little" Bump as I divested myself of such things as keys, wallet, mail, etc., and proceeded to investigate my box of goodies. Yes, there were my blackberry vines. And my two grape vines. And those two other bundles of sticks were my raspberries.

But, what to do with them all?

I was supposed to PLANT IMMEDIATELY.

Was I supposed to go dig through the snow, then chisel my way into the frozen tundra so that my new plants could have a home? No, I couldn't do that. Nor could I leave them in the house, for then they would stop being DORMANT, and begin to grow.

Apparently the great god Gurney had made a mistake about when my growing season began.

I looked at Bump, and he looked back at me, lying there on the invoice. Silly cat thinks he has to inspect everything.

Realizing that I wasn't going to be able to get any dirt under my fingernails that day (sob!), I placed the plants, along with my dreams of rich, luscious fruit, back into the cardboard box, tied it shut with some rope, and placed it outside by the back steps.

------------------------days passed------------------------

It rained. It snowed. The sun came out to play occasionally. Slowly, after what seemed like 40 days and 40 nights, the ark settled upon the mount, and the white banks of snow receded. Daniel kept a patient watch, waiting for the day when no snow would fall, nor rain.

Today the sun shone here in Michigan for the 3rd day in a row, and the temperatures rose above freezing for the 5th day in a row. Most of the snow is gone from my yard now, so, after a great day out on my mailroute, I came home, ready to wage planting on my yard. There was still a small snowbank in front of my shed, so I dug it out and entered, searching for my garden shovel. Eventually I found it hiding behind the lawn mower. (Did I put it there last fall? I would've sworn it was closer to the door...) Armed with my shovel, and also a rake, I went to where I grew my tomatoes last summer. They were obviously done producing any fruit, so up came the plants. I cleared the land with my rake (ah, the fresh scent of disturbed earth!), unwound all the wires from my plants, and carefully put them into the ground. I did not merely heel them into the ground. Oh no! I planted those vines, right where they were going to stay and grow for years to come! After all, hadn't Gurney written me a message, telling me that my plants were ready to WAKE UP AND GROW, just for me?

After savoring the moment, and the sight of fresh dirt on my hands, I decided to traipse through my flower beds. I returned my shovel and rake to the shed and locked it up. I would return very soon, I thought to myself.

My flower bed is the front third of my lot. There is a large maple tree in the middle of it, and apparently it has decided to help plan where I do my planting by placing its roots close to the surface in the most inconvenient places it could find. I do not like this tree. It simply refuses to "get with the program." However, it does provide a lot of shade for the front portion of my yard, enabling me to venture into the world of shade-gardening. When I first moved into my home almost two years ago, I built a stone circle around the tree. Ferns, ivy, lillies, hosta, and this year astilbe make a nice sight. But, I digress. Back to my traipsing. As I walked over the leaves blanketing my flower garden, I saw that daffodils were beginning to raise their heads, peeking through to bring little spots of yellow sunshine into my life. In another spot, tulips were breaking ground.
And then I noticed that my English Ivy, which has been told to stay in the stone circle many many times, had grown a runner, and was establishing itself 3 feet away from the stone circle! When I scraped away a few layers of leaves, I found not just a runner, but an established, rooted colony of ivy! Somehow, the ivy had gotten the idea that this sort of action would go completely unnoticed! Well, I told it immediately that this action had been noted, and that, when the time came to do some serious cleaning in the yard, that colony of ivy was going to be moved back to the homeland! There would be no un-authorized departures from the mother country! No requests to move had been filled out in triplicate, stamped, then replicated again so filing clerks of future generations would have something to do other than standing around the water cooler, discussing last nights adventures at the bar with one of the ladies from the typing pool! NO SIR!
So, what did I do? Well, I believe in subtle reprisals. I calmly walked away, leaving the ivy to believe that it had gotten away with its obviously nefarious plans. Don't you worry, it's day is coming. Not this weekend. Not next weekend. Maybe not until May. But its day is coming, and it will eventually wake up some morning to find itself back in the stone circle from which it came.....

o

I can't stop laughing..."wiping tears from face"...

o

Dan
Gurney's did that to me one year, I had ordered blueberry bushes in January and they sent them in Feb. we had like a foot of snow on the ground. I called them up and they replaced the plants about a month later and apologised profusely for sending them so early.
Alberta

o

Okay, this is getting bad. I got up this morning, intending to go start working on my taxes. I still have to start with gathering all my receipts and figuring out all my expenses for last year. After a nice, healthy breakfast, which I usually have time for on Sunday mornings.

So what have I been doing instead for the last two-and-a-half hours? Looking at trade lists, sending a bubbly to Linda (thank you again! for the bee balm), an e-mail to Kym (thank you for sending the cosmos and honesty!), looking at other threads to see if I could help other gardeners, telling my cats that I DID NOT need their assistance today at the computer (the younger one loves computers and televisions, you should see him when I use the printer! he comes running to watch it all happen!), and generally watching the time slowly begin to pass me by.

So what am I going to do now, you ask? Well, I'm going to shut down the computer, then go put my bubbly in the mail, of course!!!

If you get a moment or two today, stop and send some happy thoughts Diana's way..... she's digging out her Star of Bethlehem patch, again. GO DIANA!!! LOL!!!

o

Hi Dan! Loved the story,you have a way of making everything interesting! :) Ever think of writing instead of delivering mail?...anyway....

I have a huge Sugar Maple in my back yard,I love this tree,but like yours it has placed it's roots in all the wrong places and makes it difficult to plant anything where I want it,because you know those roots are in every spot you would like a plant! :O So what I have decided to do this year, is direct sow seed where I want plants,I am thinking I may wrap the trunk with netting and do some Hyacinth Bean Vine,they prefer direct sowing anyway from what I have been reading,and than I plan to plant some sort of low growing perennial,haven't decided which yet. Maybe something like this would work for you! :)
I loved your outlook on the Ivy,I have my own little scenario with mine! I love that stuff,it is work to keep it in check,but serves a purpose and looks good doing it! It has saved me from having to dig out an area next to my patio,that is nothing but clay and rocks. Very ugly earth under that ivy! Mine likes to try to get my neighbors house,every so often I have to go over in their yard,and pull up the runners that are aiming for their brick! I don't cut them,I aim them underneath my Forsythia and let them grow along that way ,they are covering a little 15 - 20 foot long "bank" I have behind my beds that border the yard,they really help, hold the dirt back and make a lovely back drop. I look at my English Ivy as an unruly child that just needs a little direction to do the right thing! :) With nurturing and encouragement it is growing up pretty good and well disciplined!
Oh and by the way,I think the SOB,will serve your purpose well and is going to look fantastic! The small patch I have,(when I say small I mean small),doesn't stay green all season,at one point it goes brown and fades away until the next year. I have never had a problem with it being invasive here,it was in a bed already when we moved here,and it has maybe spread a couple inches in almost 8 years! I tried to spread it out and it just kind of stayed in it's own 1 square foot area. I don't know why it isn't crazy here in PA,like it is for Sue,maybe it is our climate? Maybe my soil is not up to it's expectations? Not enough sun? Who knows! If it doesn't work out for some reason,I seen a fantastic idea from a member at the Cottage Garden (barleychown),she planted a Thyme lawn,I do believe it was Creeping Thyme,it is one of the cutest things I have ever seen! It almost appears to be out of a story book! I plan to use this idea somewhere in my yard,maybe out front where it is a pain to mow. Anyway,I am going to see if I can find the pics she posted so you can take a look!

My kitty also thinks if you have the time to read or play on the computer than you have time to admire her awesome beauty!...lol..she will lay down on your book or magazine,when you try to read,she will try to steal the pen right from your hand if you try to write something down ,she may not look at me for hours,but you better believe when I sit down at this computer,I am the most interesting person in the whole world!...lol...Dont you just love cats?

Anyway,thanks again for a good read! :)

o
RE: Possibly a helpful idea!

Here you go Dan,I found the thread and linked you to it,even if you aren't interested,I am sure others who haven't seen this would like to get a look! I just love the idea so much,I think everyone should see it! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarah's Thyme Lawn

o

Dan the Lawn Killer:

PLEASE! (That stands for People for Lawn Eradication And Seed Exchange)--you're now a member! :)

I have really enjoyed really your posts! Be sure to save them on your own computer, for when they're no longer here on Gardenweb. I don't read gardener's blogs often, but I like yours! I'm sure if you posted these on one of those gardening blog forums, you'd get quite a following! Thanks again.

o

Dan...I think we tried to warn you that this place is addicting !! By next year we will have you winter sowing and trading so much you will have seeds coming out your ears..just wait !
I refuse to use LMBO anymore, as I continually think of what you "thought " it meant...SOO I shall be using LMAO, and PLEASE dont come up with another meaning, I will run outta abbreviations...grin.
I would love to see you pour spaghetti sauce on your lawn, I think the neighbors would have you committed. Although, if you got hungry while gardening, you wouldnt have far to go.

I agree if you were to start a blog, you would have lots of people reading it...I just love your wit and sense of humor..

My cat is the same, continually sits on my seeds, papers, and rubs her head on my laptop....she even clawed up my seed want list awhile back, I thought she was trying to tell me something...LMAO !

Angie, thanks so much for the link...I am thinking of using the walking thyme inbetween the pavers on our porch area, so when we are out there it will smell nice AND the small pink blooms are soo pretty. I have seen a thyme lawn and it is amazing.

Dan, Ill get an emial off to you in the AM, havent had time to go to emials, I am hooked to this site..ha ha

o

Loved your post...I have already gotten my 3 year old granddaughter addicted to "making planets". Today we tried to plant out the peas but the poor kids boots got sucked off 3 times LOL. A big old planter was found and the some of the peas found a home. We then came in the house only to find a bubbly on the table and off we were to the basement to "make more planets".

I guess you will have to lable me an gardeners enabler. Kim

o
RE: Confessions of a Serial Gardener too

OH NO, I have been secretly throwing extra perinneal seeds over the fence, behind the neighbor's garage where he has his "weed" garden. I guess I am not only an enabler but a serial gardener also :-) Kim

o

LOL Kim...wow, that sure would be funny...I wish I had thought of that before, I had a neighbor that drove me crazy...LOL

Id love to see your neighbors face when flowers start to grow....LMAO !

o

hmmm...that's not a bad idea...I have a neighbor like that..."pondering"

o

OK Dan! Where is todays confession????? Hunh???Hunh???...lol..oh well,I guess we will have to wait for him to have time for this sort of stuff....(*sigh*)

o

Sorry, no confession today. Been dealing with bubblies, e-mails, and trading today. I think I can safely say I've spent at least half of my waking hours here on the GW today. How about you Linda? Sue?

I'll do some confessing tomorrow, okay? hehehe slavedrivers! all you want is a good laugh! what am I? a machine??? LOL!

tell me something though, what kind of confessions would you like to hear about? let me know, okay?

talk to you later, I'm heading to bed.

and remember, don't spread kudzu, it'll get to your town soon enough on its own! (that better Sue?)

good night everyone!

D the S.G.

o

and remember, don't spread kudzu, it'll get to your town soon enough on its own! (that better Sue?)
You betcha! Thanks!

Introduced invasives can just be so horrid once they are out of control. It is hard to believe that the Star of Bethlehem was not always here, but came here from either Europe, Africa, or Asia. I just read where it is toxic to grazing animals.

Sue...still ranting about the Flower from Hell

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornithogalum umbellatum (Star-of-Bethlehem

o

you know Sue, I was going to plant that but now I'm afraid..very very afraid...."backing away from the seed catalog"...

o
Re: wellll.....

okay Dan..I don't put half my time in this forum, only a THIRD..I think...maybe...well, I haven't actually kept track...."whistling and looking at the ceiling"...

o
RE: Confessions of a Serial Gardener, seed bombs

I think a fun project to make with the granddaughter are seed bombs...heeeheeeheee evil laugh :-) My next door neighbor won't know what hit him.

Mix one part seeds with one part dry compost.
Next, add one part dry clay and mix.
Then spray in water a little at a time and mix it together until you have just enough water to hold everything together without crumbling.

After that, form the mixture into balls 2~3 cm in diameter.
Finally, dry the balls for later use.
Once dried, the balls are ready to be spread over land that you want to plant. When the rains come, the seeds will germinate.

For more information:

http://www.groovygreen.com/groove/?p=714

BOMBS AWAY! Kim

o

I want to go play at Kim's house! :D

o

angie...can we have a seed bomb fight when I come to PA ??

laughs her evil laugh....I could just imagine where those seeds will be germinating....LMAO

Ok, Dan...any stories ?? maybe you should write once a week..so we can all look forward to a certain day...since you are SOO addicted you dont have as much time to write no...tee hee

o
Going Deep for some HDR Time

Kim, you want me to commit to one day a week? Like, a schedule? That's a bit too organized for me. Besides, I like getting on here and writing. It keeps things going for us all, and sometimes it's a bit cathartic for me. Just remember everyone, there may actually be days I don't write here, but I'll probably still be knocking around the GardenWeb...

Which brings me to tonight's "Confession". For those of you who don't know what HDR Time is, it means Heavy, Deep, and Real. This weekend I'm probably gonna be silent for a few days, and since you've all probably realized by now that I can be quite talkative, I want to try to explain why in the next day or so.

Six years ago, on June 10th of '02, I went to a local beach for a day of sunshine and relaxation. I'd been there for about an hour, maybe a little less, when a great-looking blonde came onto the beach and spread out her blanket about 30 feet from me. We started talking, wound up moving our blankets together, had lunch together in the village, went back to the beach, went back to the village for a light dinner, and went back to the beach to finish the day holding hands while we watched the sun set over Lake Michigan. Gwen was from Imlay City, which is about 3.5 hours from Traverse City, where I live. She'd come north to get away from it all for a few days, and it was her last day up here before having to go home. We traded numbers, e-mails, and promised to call one another again soon. For me, soon was the next day. I called her the next night to make sure she'd gotten home okay, and we wound up talking for hours. Months passed by, with us talking on the phone and computer every day. One of us visited the other for a few days or a week, at least twice a month. At the time I was still a rural sub for the post office, so it was easy for me to get away. I found out this beautiful 42-year old had a daughter who was 23, Barb, and a granddaughter, Lacey, who was 4. after a little more than a year and a half, we decided to get married. I'd been planning on asking her to marry me, but was waiting to get the engagement ring. Instead, she came to TC to visit me for the weekend, and asked me to marry her! That was a VERY good Sunday afternoon! After doing some talking and planning, we decided to sell her house, give her daughter some money to finish her college career, and use the rest of the money as a down payment on a house up here in Traverse City. Gwen's house was an older one, needing some work, so worked on it together, getting it ready for sale. Meanwhile, Barb started calling me Dad, and Lacey was now calling me Papa. I had it all. I was looking forward to saying "I do" and becoming husband, dad, and grandpa all at once.
There was one day when Gwen and I were babysitting Lacey while Barb was at one of her classes. We were doing a bit of gardening together in the backyard, and then noticed that Lacey was nowhere to be seen. We raced all around the house and then indoors to find her kneeling on the bathroom sink, holding a pair of long scissors, cutting her hair. She'd pulled her mid-back length hair forward over head, and was intently cutting it. I grabbed scissors while Gwen grabbed Lacey, not wanting her to fall off the sink. Lacey freaked, and ran off to her room, crying her eyes out. Gwen and I looked at each other, then the scissors, and, even though I knew Lacey could've fallen on them and really hurt herself, I started laughing at it all. Here we'd been thinking she was lost, or worse, and she'd been calmly cutting her hair. I ended up giving Lacey a short "pixie" cut after everything had settled down, and life moved on.
Gwen and I were really making progress on fixing up the house, I'd met some more of her family, and she'd met some of mine. We were hoping the house would sell quick so we could move up the wedding date. I went down for a week to work on the house and came back April 3rd so I could have a day to rest before having to go back to work. We talked on the phone late that night, until about 2am. Then, because she had to work Sunday morning at 10:30, we said our good-byes and went to bed.
The morning of April 4th, I called Gwen on her cellphone shortly after 10, wanting to wish her a good day. Instead of Gwen, Barb answered the phone. She was at the hospital with Gwen, who'd had a heart attack a couple of hours earlier. By the time I called, Gwen was gone. She'd told me a long time before that she occasionally had a heart murmur, just a mild fluctuation in rhythm about 2 or 3 times a year, nothing to worry about.
Since then, I've dealt with losing her to some degree, but I still wish Gwen was here with me. Barb and Lacey insisted I join them for Father's Day that first year, and we had ourselves a good time, but we've drifted apart since then because we remind one another of who is missing. I have dated during the past four years, including a couple of ladies I thought I could have a life with. But, here I am tonight, still a bachelor.
Glad to know you all.
For some reason, this year Gwen has been on my mind more this last month. Last year wasn't too bad, but then, I had my best friend around last year. He knew what I'd been through, and was real good about helping me through it all. But, this year I've got all of you guys. You've made me laugh, giggle, and have a lot of fun. I don't think it was a coincidence that I landed here on the GW a couple of weeks ago. You guys are getting to be really good friends, and it feels like I've known some of forever! (that being a compliment) (smile)
Anyway, before I get maudlin, I'm gonna wrap this up. I feel a lot better now that I've written about probably the one moment in my life that defined me as the guy I am today. Thanks for listening.

This is the ol' S.G., signing off for tonight. Y'all take care, keep smiling, and I'll be talking to a few of you tomorrow, I'm sure!

One question before I go though..... Why do I keep getting this image of a whirlpool, and me getting sucked into it? Linda? Any ideas? (btw, I did wind up jonesing a bit today Linda.....)

o

Dan,
(((BIG HUG))) that's all I have to say....

well, except for the jonesing part...I know a few people who could help you with that...."checking everyone's seed trade list"....noticed you signed up for a round robin...."coughing slightly and gazing up at the ceiling"

o

Dan, I mentioned a certain day only because we all have been looking forward to your next writting...

Im not good with words, but want you to know I am sorry for your loss, but I am always one to try and find the good out of a situation...so I hope that you can feel blessed to have had the time with her, and I am sure you have a special gaurdian angel with you...maybe she even directed you here...I hope that you will find a special someone again, and can build a future with them...I think it usually happens when we least expect it.

Thank you for considering us good enough friends to share something so personal...and you will be in my thoughts and prayers this weekend. Thank you for your sense of humor, and your friendship...it has brightened my days...

There really is a special group of people here on GW, and I am so glad to have found you all.

Dan, we are always here for moral support, anytime !

o
re: hdr

Thanks, you guys, for your friendship, your support, and your kind words. I didn't mean to bring you all down or anything, just wanted to let you all know a little more about me. I don't want you all feeling sorry for me, I just wanted to let you know why I may be a bit "moody" or silent this week, okay? I'll be okay. After all, who can stay down when they've got all these seeds to plant???
And Linda, Honey, there ain't nothing on that ceiling THAT interesting, so quit staring at it unless you mean to take a broom to that spider hanging over your head! LOL!
And Kim? You're better with words than you give yourself credit for. Keep your chin up girl, you're doing fine!

.....and so, the serial gardener gathers his cloak about himself and slips into the foggy evening, leaving his faithful to ponder his words.....

o

alright Dan, I know I'm behind on my spring cleaning..."whooshing spider outside"..anyone else behind on their spring cleaning?..."making promise to clean SOMETHING today!"

o

Linda...Why did you move that spider outside ? Poor spider...now he is gonna be blown away...and he was keeping your indoor plants pest free...and that is the thanks he gets ??

Cleaning, isnt that one of those *bad four letter words *...I cleaned up my seed area today, does that count ?? grin.

o

well, if I don't move him outside then my cats will eat him! There isn't anything they like better than stalking anything that they think is prey,,,cotton balls, milk rings, the dogs tails,,and bugs. I love indoor plants...but so do the cats..I only have three at this point, they ate the rest.

Yeah, cleaning sucks...I have to make an attempt before my poor family thinks I've abandoned them for the outside..(which I will as soon as I can!)...LOL

o

Dan, thank you so much for sharing such an intimate part of your self with us,we consider you a good friend, also. It does seem like you have been here all along. I think that is when you know you are meant to be somewhere. I believe in everything happens for a reason, and I am betting your presence here is no coincidence! I am glad GW was in your cards!:)

Gwen was a lucky woman,still is. :) My heart aches for the both of you. I hope you find peace this weekend,relish in the moments,as long as you think of her, she will live on.

I have certain spiders that are allowed to stay inside,they are VIP's ,the others get the boot! Out they go!...lol..

My family doesnt feel abandoned, because I have started doing alot of my wsing in the kitchen now...lol...so now they get to enjoy just about every step with me,whether they like it or not! ...lol...

o
RE: Confessions of a Serial Gardener and one heck of a great guy!

Kym! I wonder if our local community park would let us have the seed bomb battle there?...lol...or maybe we could have it at Gramma's and drive her nuts?...lol..One of the things I have always enjoyed, was driving Gramma nuts...lol...I still do it! Can't help it! :)

o

Tonight I thought I'd share a song with you all. Gwen was a country gal, even got me to singing along with the likes of Alabama, Dolly, Reba, George Straight, and Alan Jackson. And yes, I've done the line-dancing bit too! And that takes a lot for a guy who prefers his 80's long-hair music! As for what I did to her, I got here hooked on a group called Velvet Revolver, which is basically the group Guns-n-Roses with a different lead singer. This song, Fall to Pieces, helps me whenever I think of her. I can't say the words that express how much I miss her, but I can sing them.

"Fall To Pieces"

It's been a long year
Since you've been gone
I've been alone here
I've grown old
I fall to pieces, I'm falling
Fell to pieces and I'm still falling

Every time I'm falling down
All alone I fall to pieces

I keep a journal of memories
I'm feeling lonely, I can't breathe
I fall to pieces, I'm falling
Fell to pieces and I'm still falling

All the years I've tried
With more to go
Will the memories die
I'm waiting
Will I find you
Can I find you
We're falling down
I'm falling

Every time Im falling down

Something else that has helped me is having a memorial garden. Gwen loved roses. They were everywhere in her yard. We slept beneath a quilt made entirely of pieces that portrayed roses. When I went downstate for her funeral, I went into her backyard and took a bunch of rose clippings from her bushes. Now those clippings have turned into bushes, and they grow in my garden. I don't prune them, letting them grow willy-nilly and as wild as they want to grow, for Gwen was one to be a bit wild at times too. She knew how to focus on what had to get done, but when it came to be time to relax, she relaxed. No plans. Just living in the moment. So, her roses do the same.

So, what can be learned from all of this? If something should happen to someone you hold dear, find something they liked about themselves, and help it to grow. If they had a favorite book, read it. If they had a favorite meal, serve it for dinner guests from time to time. And if they had a favorite plant, grow it.

For after all, as gardeners, are we not those who tend to the earth?

o

Dan you are just too sweet for words! :)

o

I've heard that song many times, it's a beautiful song.

And as for planting flowers for memories, I plant pansies each year for my dad. I agree that it helps people that you loved stay close to you.

o

Wow! That is really amazing, Dan! What a wonderfully lucky woman she was and still is to have a love like that. So many people go through life never knowing that depth of love and soul deep connection. I've learned with Cliff what a blessing that truly is. I am so happy that you both had that!

Kathy

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 3, 08 at 16:42

I whoosh spiders outside sometimes too, otherwise they spend all their time on the world-wide-web.

heehee!!

o

Doris, I bet they are some smart spiders...LOL

Dan, you should ADD a plant to the memorial garden each year...

I just KNOW she is watching over you, and wants the best for you. Keep YOUR head up this weekend..she wouldnt want you to be sad.

o

Dan, thanks for sharing your story. It is ok to mourn for those you love. I get a little blue in June as I miscarried 2 of my children in that month, 27 and 28 years ago, but, I also look at my joy...my daughter now 25 and son now 24 plus the granddaughter my son gave me. The memories stay but the pain diminishes over the years.

I also have a memorial plant from my grandmother. Her favorite flower was geraniums and when she passed away 10 years ago I took a cutting from her flower bed. I have been rooting a cutting each year in the fall since then. Over the winter they get a little leggy but I cut them off and plant out the flowers each year. This year I have "big momma" (the original I brought in) and 4 daughters getting ready to pot up. Right now I have 4 flowers blooming and 3 more ready to go.

I had Jordan over last night and again tonight. The weather was warm and sunny. We cleaned up the front of the house and "planted" our pigs outside for spring. We both love pigs and I have little ones, big ones and those in between we place out in the garden. When the garden begins to grow either Jordan or I go out and move them around and the other has to go find where they are hiding. We also potted up some pansies for the porch...I love the way they smile at you :)

I am going to try to get some pictures today and see if I can post them. Time to get breakfast started, waffles sound good today with some of the raspberries I froze last year and a little whipped cream! Kim

o

Hey Dan....are you STILL with us ?? Any chance we could have a NEW confession ?? Are you lost in the garden somewhere working on taking out all of your frustration on the grass ??????

Just wanted you to know you are being missed...

Kym

o

DAN UPDATE!!!!

Over the weekend, Dan fell on some ice and messed his knee up. He's been on crutches and said that if we ladies were saying prayers to help him get through his weekend, being in pain and on crutches sure did do it. He said he'll be posting soon.

(I harassed him through the email till he answered.."L")

o

thanks for the update..but doesnt that mean he has MORE time to talk with us ?? LOL I am sending good wishes his way..I guess if he was spending his time worrying about his knee, he wasnt so sad about his loss ?? grin...

Ok, Dan...hope all gets better soon !!

o

Sending prayers and good wishes your way Dan for a quick and complete recovery.

Sue...who has not forgotten your seeds...you and seeds will be at the top of my list soon...like when it starts to rain here in a bit maybe

o
I'm BAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!

Hello, Everyone! Well, after working through a bit more of the grieving process, and spraining my right knee, here I am again. Home. I'm off the crutches, and off the painkillers, and in my right mind again, more or less, so I thought tonight would be a good time to make another confession. Of course, I started to do so about 6 hours ago, but when I got online, other people saw that I was online and dropped by for a few words. You know the type. You're in the middle of your garden, dripping with mud, dirt, and dust from everywhere but your inner eyelid, the weeds are still growing so fast you can hear the crackling noises of new leaves popping into the air, all the neighborhood mosquitoes and black flies have decided to make your their favorite destination, there's a kink in the hose so the sprinklers won't reach all of the garden, and here comes Miss Manners, dressed in here pink dress with matching purse, heels, and hat (doesn't all that pink make you think of peptobismal?), white gloves, too much make-up, and she insists that you come out of your silly little garden (yes, she calls 2 acres of corn, peppers, tomatoes, and flowers a silly little garden) and discuss with her whatever it is that has filled her 2.8 ounces of brain tissue. And, of course, she is accompanied by her pudgy little son who still has last night's fudge ice cream looped behind his left ear. You silently thank the gods that he's not still wearing his little lord fauntleroy outfit like he's been wearing for the past two weeks. Then you notice that he's brought along an orange plastic shovel, and Miss Manners brightly tells him to go dig in that pile of stuff over there by the wall. You wonder to yourself for a moment or two whether you should inform her that she's sending her dear progeny to play in horse manure, but then silently giggle to yourself, knowing that she'll make that discovery soon on her own. So, you reach out your mud-encrusted right hand for a polite handshake, and grasp the brightly clean hand of Miss Manners mere moments before seeing the realization on her face that she has indeed been sullied by someone as happy and filthy as yourself.
Well, that's simply what I'd call a job well done.
Not that I've ever done such a thing to someone.
At least, not this Spring.
Yet.
But, I intend to do so at the first chance.

So, having said all that without knowing I was going to do so, and it having nothing to do with tonight's subject, I have a question for you all.
About six weeks ago, I stumbled across directgardening.com and, liking their prices, I ordered some trees, plants, and bulbs.
I receieved my entire order two weeks ago.
I also received my entire order two days ago.
Both times, everything was healthy and ready to go in the ground.
So, what should I do with the extra plants and bulbs? Everything but the 20 weeping willows could go into my yard. Should I go ahead and plant it all, knowing the 2ns shipment was the result of some clerk getting the paperwork messed up?

o

Dan:

Glad you're back and mending from your fall.

Perfect time to trade on the Plant Exchange with your "extra bounty".

Maybe send some my way, but don't tell my kids! LOL

Ann

o

"spitting tea across computer"..ahhh...Dan, I'm glad you're back..."L"

About the extra plants..I would do whatever I could sleep with at night...

o

Linda, you're not spitting that tea at me, now, are you? Because, if you are, I happen to be holding this garden hose, and the water IS turned on..... he he he

And, after getting some sleep, I've decided to give away the 2nd round of plants and bulbs, and drop directgardening a thank you note, telling them what I'm doing with all the extra bounty.

Third day without crutches! YEE-HAW!

o

Morning all! Welcome back, Dan! We missed you! OHHH! My Caladiums arrived in yesterday's mail! Thank you so much!

The bounty would be nice to share :P

That story was great! I've wanted to do that sooo many times! Than that bred-in-the-bone Southern manners thing kicks in while I'm standing in that particular situation, and I never do it! In the town I lived in, there were several of those kinds of people. Especially one from my Mom's church who didn't understand why I didn't have a gardener to attend to 'that messy landscaping stuff'. Several times I did, however, remind her that my telephone worked just fine and that if she'd just call that either I'd answer the phone, or the machine would catch it, and she could leave a message, at least letting me know that she was planning to drop by around a certain time. She rebutted with the information that she was doing the Lord's work and that didn't sit on a timetable... something I always took to mean that she never knew when the folks she was harassing before me were going to run her out. :P

Kathy

o

Kathy! Ohmigod! That's just funny! "I always took to mean that she never knew when the folks she was harassing before me were going to run her out."

When I first moved into my current house, the entire lot was lawn. Well, I had way too many flowers that needed transplanting for that to last, so I went for some round-up, and did the ol' "Die, Lawn, Die!" thing to the front third of my lot. I let a few weeks go by to let the round-up clear up, and then went out to start putting in some flowers. While I was out there, this old man who liked to walk down my street every day stopped at the edge of my yard, then walked over to where I was digging and proceeded to tell me all about how I was lowering property values in the neighborhood, that he was going to the park office to let the managers know what I was doing, and that it was obvious I didn't know what I was doing, or there'd still be green grass growing.
He'd picked the wrong day to tell me all that.
I'd had a long day at work, had a headache, and while driving home was on the phone with a good friend who told me to take some aspirin and get out into my garden so I'd start feeling better before we went out for dinner. So, here I was, in a very bad mood, my head throbbing, hungry, and this old man comes over to tell me all this stuff.
(can you tell I'm mincing words and being polite?)
I leaned on my shovel (something I learned from my parents, both avid gardeners), and asked this old-timer whether or not he'd any experience gardening. He said in his eithy-some years, he'd had a garden a couple of times. That just made me even madder. So, what did I do? Not what I wanted, that's for sure! (remember, I had a shovel in my hand) I proceeded to very politely inform him of my almost 40 years experience as a gardener, that he was standing in my yard as an uninvited guest, that the park managers knew my yard was going to be under construction for awhile, and that he needed to leave the vicinity before the police arrested him for trespassing.
He got the hint and booked it out of there. To this day, the few times he's walked down my street again, he keeps to the other side of the street.
Wise move, wouldn't you think?

Okay kiddies, I'm gonna head back to my spring cleaning (just started it today), and I've got some company coming up from downstate this afternoon. It's too cold to be outside just yet, so I guess we'll have to find something to do indoors tonight. Breakfast will be served about 8 or 9am tomorrow, so stop in if you're in the neighborhood! Just do me a favor and call ahead, okay? LOL!

LOVE YOU ALL!!! HAPPY GARDENING!!!

dAN, S.G.

o

*still laughing at the Miss Manners Monologue...
*giggle
**giggle
***snort
****turning red..

o

2:34AM!!!
I'm done with my taxes!
And no, I'm not gonna do any confessing tonight (this morning), but if I get some sleep, I will do so tonight. (that just sounds weird!)

GOOD-NIGHT
GOD BLESS
GEZUNDHEIT
(use'em as needed)

-Dan, S.G.

o

Dan,
Thanks for the laughings and the cryings!! It helps to share them with special friends...ya'll are the best!! More confessions please!!??

o

Serial gardeners of the world unite! My family is ready to take me to a 12 step program since I "have too many seeds and plants". I ONLY WSed 400+ different types of plants (is that bad?) and now have to pot up the perennials and plant out the annuals. I was sorting my seeds while my DH was watching the Masters, putting seeds that I wanted to keep in one stack and those that I wanted to trade or give away in another. His eyes got very round and he said "Don't you think that it's a little obsessive?" I don't even have the number of seeds that I had earlier this winter when my metal popcorn tin was full to overflowing...Thanks for allowing this addict to self-identify. Happy gardening and here's to a little warmer weather! Ann

o

WS'ing 400+ ... *sighhh you're my HERO Ann! lol

~Wendy

o

Tonight my husband asked me "when is enough enough"? I told him I didn't know--I wasn't there yet...LOL. Ya'll are the only ones to understand- after all--I am still just a newbie......LOL!!

o

daffodillady...Does your hubby have a hobby, by "boy toys " anything ?? I tell my hubby my seeds and plants dont compare to his fishing equipment, and it quiets him for a bit...LMAO !

It really is much better then many other things I can think of that people are addicted to..and hey we are makin the world a more beautiful place to live, and helping the air quality...does his hobby do that ?? grin.

As I always tell my friends, learn to tune him out, and enjoy what you are doing...

Tell him your just starting...I keep doing more and more each season...LOL

o

flwrs4ever.....nah, he just works, eats, watches tv, sleeps...works, eats, watches tv, sleeps, works, eats, watches tv, sleeps- LOL. He lives to work......and doesn't understand anybody who doesn't. And he just doesn't get it when I tell him how much satisfaction I get from playing in the dirt- LOL. He likes to check out the flowers/plants and brag on them, but doesn't want anything to do with how they get there. He's a good man.....it's just that his thumbs are not green or dirty- LOL!! I just smile gently and plant a few more seeds....LOL!!

o

Wendy: My husband doesn't think I'm a hero, just a nut for WSing 400+ containers. The good news is that I can plant some of them out now and it looks a little better!
Daffodillady - I was just a newbie last year and look what it blossomed into (pun certainly intended!). Just beautifying our environments, right?

o

kmpsmom~
I just learned about WS'ing this year.. so I started quite late, early March actually.. but I still managed to get about 30 containers going and am just AMAZED at how well it works!! For me, it works a heck of a lot better than sowing direct cuz the sun is so brutal here! Every store I go to I head directly to the seed section FIRST!! :)

o
Everybody Must Get Stoned!

No, I don't mean we must all go down to the seedy part of town, meet someone on the corner, and exchange way too much money for the contents of a small bag of drugs. Nor do I mean we should go to the doctor and fake some type of sickness in order to get a funkadelic prescription.
No.
I mean that we as gardeners should all consider putting some type of stonework within the confines of our respective gardens, purely for the esthetics of that stonework. It's probably safe to say that we've all been in gardens where a certain boulder or rockwall seemed like the perfect accent to the flowers and bushes growing near it. Let's face it, stones, rocks, and boulders are a part of nature, and we're all trying to mimic Mother Nature and plan the perfect garden. Right?
Now, I happen to know that Linda (lindazuricka) has been spending a lot of time moving rocks about her property, attempting to put them "just so", ignoring the back pains and aches, wanting to get everything perfect within her garden. I know this because she wrote to me and told me so.
Well, that's something I did too, when I first moved into my home almost two years ago. However, there is a huge difference between me and Linda. Linda was fortunate enough to have her rocks already growing in her yard, and she simply had to transplant them. When I moved into my house, The yard was all lawn, except for a huge maple tree covering the front third of my lot with shade. Lots of shade. And shallow roots. Lots of shallow roots. Too many shallow roots. Roots which I cut, chop, and dig up, but more keep growing. (Oops, I'm starting to rant like Sue. Consider it a tribute Sue! hehehe)
Anyway, there was this maple tree, the only plant growing above the lawn in my yard. Well, this wasn't going to last for long. Oh. No.
In my travels as a mailman, I had noticed a pile of nice gray stones, each weighing in at about 2-7 pounds, perfect for building a nice rockwall with. Well, I unpacked my boxes, hung a few pictures, did some shopping for the new house, and kept looking at the base of the maple tree. And, I kept an eye on the pile of stone. It was in a "out-of-the-way" place on my route. I kept looking for any activity, thinking to myself that, if someone else was using them, I'd leave the rocks alone. Well, a couple of weeks went by, and the rockpile remained the same size. So, one Sunday morning, I put a tarp in the trunk of my car and made 3 trips to the rockpile, filling my trunk each time with these ignored, unloved, unwanted orphans who had no use to anyone.
I used the rocks to make a stone circle around the trunk of the tree, about 10-inches high. No cement, just one rock upon another, until I had made a nice low-rising wall all around the tree. I wound up with almost a half-trunkful of rocks extra, so I threw them in a pile off to one side, not sure what I'd do with them, but knowing that I'd find some use for them.
Next, it was off to wal-mart for a multitude of bags of miracle-grow potting soil. Whenever I transplant any type of plant, whether indoors or out, I fill the pot or hole with miracle-grow. That's one of my "secrets" to a green thumb. No chemicals, just good potting soil. I made two trips to wal-mart, filling the trunk of my car with m.g. each time. First I filled up the stone circle, watering it so the water would carry the m.g. into the cracks and crevices of the rockwall, where I could put plants and make it look even more natural.
While filling the stone circle with m.g., I kept looking at the extra stones, thinking about how they kind of looked like a small island. Hmmmmm. Pursue this thought. If I left them like they were, they'd look like just a pile of extra rocks. No, that wouldn't work. And I didn't want to plant a bunch of tall plants amongst them, that wouldn't look right either. Hmmm, what to do. Well, after finishing up with the stone circle, I scattered and arranged the extra rocks a bit, making them look more like a little island in the yard. Then I dumped some m.g. onto them, covering them up. Next, I watered it all, letting the water carry the soil into all the cracks and crevices in this little island. Next, a little more creative re-arranging, a little more dirt, a little more water. Okay, perfect. Next came a trip out to my parents' house, where I'd been growing a holding garden for the past few years (remind me to tell you about how that one grew!). There I dug out a bunch of hens and chicks (sometimes known as cats and kittens, that's such a cool name!), and brought them back to my house. I planted them in the rock garden, which is where they remain to this day. Last summer they filled in a bit more, and hopefully, within another year or two, all that will be visible will be the hens, chicks, and rocks. It makes quite a cool looking little craggy island in the yard, one of which I'm proud to say I created.
And, as for the original pile of rocks after I got mine? Well, about five weeks or so after I borrowed all those rocks, the remains were used for landscaping by one of the businesses located in the little industrial park for which I was the mailman.

Oops.

o

Thanks for the tribute, Oops....

I've been eyeballing a pile of old bricks for a couple of years in a little pile in the alley near where I mow a yard for a friend. Maybe this will be the year, I will work up my nerve to ask if they might want to have me 'make them gone'.

Loved you 'rock' story. Sounds like you could use some shade natives for some springtime blooms.....hmmmmm......

s

o

I like to use rocks and other natural things in my gardens. I use the rocks as borders or paths or whatever else my garden-fevered brain comes up with. I moved my oriental statues onto my patio...surrounded them with rocks (4 wheelbarrow loads) as well as a piece of well aged drift type wood (can't be driftwood, I live in the mountains..mountainwood?) I enjoy making my gardens as restful, natural and easy on the eyes as possible. I also enjoy making little hidden spots with benches or a place to linger...gardening...ain't it grand?....

(Did I mention about the compost pile that is just sitting in the woods behind my house...just waiting for me to poke it? Seems my neighbors have been dumping their grass, clippings and leaves for years...sorta like finding gold)

o

I've been meaning to read this thread and finally got a chance today. I'm enjoying the Serial Gardener Serial. It's been slow at work (which is not a good thing.) Being slow at work means that I only had to work half a day yesterday and probably half a day today. That also means I've had time to play outside.

So I scouted out what made it back from last year. Somehow my Hens & Chicks seem to have flown the coup...no sign of them! My Rhubarb that I had in the vegetable garden also seems to be gone. The lilies, rudbeckia & enchinacea all seem to have spread (which is a good thing!) My Lilies of the Valley seem to be coming back too (Hurray! Last year was my third try at planting them. I have a neighbor that weeds them out! I think I'm the only one that has had such difficulty.)

Dan, It's great that you want to share this part of your with us. In a few paragraphs you brought Gwen to life for us and I'm sorry for your loss. On a less serious note, Dan, I hope you remembered that cats & blackberry bushes can not be written off as dependents on your taxes, just as my accountant told me shih-tzus and peonies can't be written off on mine (I was trying. I got audited last year. OUCH!)

Happy Gardening,

Becky

o

ummmm dan you are soooo nice!! i woulda shook her hand!! with BOTH of my hands!! a nice full grasp of a shake!! and told her kid to go ahead and dig in that pile over there!! of course if i was in a purely onry mood!! with the kid anyhow!! LOL **grinning onrilly** one of my best friends told me about this, so i had to check it out!! hmmm....love it!! beth :'))
i was glued to the screen for a bit, LOL sorry about your loss. :'(( it has been a terrible couple of months for that. jimi has been gone since 99 in march but still feels like yesterday, he was my brother, i helped raise the little guy!! ohhh my goodness can you write!! :')) sometimes i have the thoughts i wanta say, then when i get to writing them, boom, they are just gone, and i have what looks like bla bla bla, LOL i kinda talk that way too, ummmm backwards at times, LOL i warn people though if i'm having one of those day's, you might get the point at the end of the paragraph!! LOL

o

So far I am so lucky that my nosey neighbors have all said the yard is looking better than it has in years. I have only cleaned out what I guess was a flower bed at one time and killed off about 1/2 the weeds in the front lawn. Been working on moving a 5 yard pile of soil for some raised beds for veggies this year.

One neighbor said she loved all my "quaint" little pigs I have out front. I hope some day when I am older I can happily be called eccentric when people see my yard. Oh yeah, my granddaughter and I found one of those faces you put on the tree on clearance at Meijer for only $1.30, they were 90% off from last year. Now we have a "man tree" that has gotten a few comments because he is sticking his tongue out. Guess he "shocked" one of the old ladies down the street...oh well I met her today and she doesn't think I am such a kook anymore (as she mentioned to my immediate neighbor next door). She even let her greatgrandson play at my house for awhile today. Not sure if she will let him come back again because I let the kids play on the dirt mountain...lets just say he may have an inch or so of mud in the bottom of the tub tonight I know Jordan did.

Love the stories and look forward to checking in to see how many other kooks hang out here. Kim

o

i know that one kim!! we go to a church where the people are "nice" and they let their kids come down and play with mine, well one day before church they did, and i wasn't paying attention to the time, adn well their kids went hiome a mess!!! OOPS!! didn't mean for that to happen, ya know, her kids haven't played with mine since, not that i can think of, and she "rarely" talks to me. OOPS!!! i just never pay attention to time, it just always gets awway from me!! always has. i'm sooo lucky to make it to church on time!! LOL

o
Getting Ready To Commit Murder

Now, how's that for the title of a confession??? I am now ready to murder my lawn. It will be a total "Lord of the Flies" moment. Yesterday I bought enough Round-Up to send my lawn to that great cow pasture in the sky. Twice. I'm not taking any prisoners. No blade of grass is going to get away from me. No way.
Tomorrow, I'm going to water my lawn for a couple of hours, satisfying it's thirst in what will actually be its last meal. Then, I'll go out with my iPod on, carrying a few gallons of Round-Up, and I'm going to calmly walk back and forth, spraying my lawn into oblivion. Then I'm going to come back into the house, shower the chemicals off of myself, and sit down to enjoy a movie. Yes, I'll be enjoying my Sunday afternoon as the lawn drinks in the poison which I will have fed it. As the grass drinks the water, it will also be drinking down the Round-Up, ignorant that it will be killing itself. Once in the grass, the Round-Up will go to work, destroying the grass.
Welcome to Jonestown.
My lawn will begin to show evidence of its death within 24 hours, and will be dead and gone by the middle of next week, in about 10 days or so. Thankfully, I will not hear it strangling to death, screaming its deathcry. No, I will be oblivious to its screams, rants, and raves. Not that I would go to its rescue. Oh no. For I am a savage killer. A Serial Gardener. Looking at the Big Picture, which shows me a yard full of flowers, blooming perennials, and colorful vines. Hmmm, there's no room in that picture for a lawn. Oh well. If I must savagely sacrifice my lawn to pave the way for a colorful garden, then so be it.

Welcome to Jonestown.

JONESTOWN by Concrete Blonde

Sheep are running scared tonight
The cows are coming home
They cling together terrified
Afraid to be alone

The bees are buzzing around the queen
Waiting for a word
The ? are ? the scene?
Collectively absurd

They're looking for Jesus
They're looking for more
Just what are they looking up here to me for
They're looking for someone
They're looking for Christ
They're looking for some human sacrifice
It looks like Jonestown again
It looks like Jonestown
It looks like Jonestown

They don't know who to run to
They don't know where to go
Unless you tell them what to think
They don't know what they know

Repeating the commercial
Something they have heard
From someone not they someone else
Somebody good with words

I think they're looking for an answer
They're looking for more
Just what are they looking up here to me for
They're looking for Christ

They're looking for an answer
They're looking for more
Just what are you looking up here to me for
They're praying for Christ
It looks like Jonestown
It looks like Jonestown
It looks like Jonestown
It looks like Jonestown
Jonestown
Jonestown

o

Dan,
The mental picture of you lolling your lawn into thinking you were taking care of it and then turning on it with your gallons of roundup was a great mental picture. I'm trying to convince my husband that we don't need a front lawn and that it would look sooo much better with lots of plants and flowers. I'd think he's buying what I'm selling if you know what I mean. LOL Hope your euthanasia of the lawn was successful. Happy gardening, Ann

o

That's okay Dan, I'm going to smother mine under cardboard.....slowly...very very slowly....

o

I'm glad that the grass has no conscious feelings, I might almost feel sorry for it when I see these "terrible" things we all plan to do to it. LOL I just cleared a patch of ivy from my front yard...anyone need a few...thousand cuttings?

o

can you just hear the lawn saying thank you dan for loving me, only to die?? poor thing!! mean mean dan!! (way to go) LOL
that's ok i had to buy a big thing of mouse killer pellets, and told talla that it was mouse food, and only the mice could eat it. so she was soooo happy that we were feeding the mice so they would leave our food alone. i was such a good mommy. she just loved me soooo much for feeding the mice. do you know how bad i felt?? omgoodness!! LOL

o

hey Ann! if you'd like to throw some of those ivy cuttings over the fence, I'll give them a home.

+++let no plant (grass doesn't count!) go without a home+++

I sprayed the grass today, and it's beginning to look a little peaked. hehehe good thing it doesn't have any vocal chords, I'd have to listen to it strangling to death.

and, speaking of murder, has anyone else seen the movie "Sweeney Todd"? it's a Johnny Depp/Tim Burton collaboration, and I just finished watching it. my review? amusing, but a bit creepy too. I'm not sure if I liked all the singing or not though.

okay, gotta run. I've got plants and seeds to mail out tomorrow.

oh! before I forget! wanted to tell you all what happened to me today when I took a bunch of bags of leaves to the parks compost pile. I was driving through, and saw what looked like a bunch of bulbs growing. got out of the car, and there were about 9 square feet of bulbs growing... tulips, daffodils, and a bunch of one I didn't recognize. I dug up what I could, and they now have a home in my stone circle. I love it when you make a surprising discovery like that!

okay, now I've really got to get going. TAKE CARE EVERYONE, AND HAVE A GREAT NIGHT!

-dan

o

great score!!! :'))

o

Dan,
You mean you're not going back to get the rest? Looks like we have to do some more "enabling" on you!

o

Dan,
If you want ivy, I can send some with the eyeball seeds. You can have it all! I hate ivy, except maybe on some old cool looking buildings, but not in my garden. Too little space to waste it with some ivy!. Thanks, Ann

o

Linda, my rule of thumb has been to always leave something behind for the next person to enjoy, and hopefully they'll leave some to spread for the next year. And yes, I do usually go back the following year for more! (grin)

o

LOl...Dan I don't have a "Miss Manners" next to me,I have a "Miss I hate Plants" right next door,so guess who is planting up the property line?...lol...Oh she is going to just love my yard this year! Ahhhh....I cant wait! :D
I agree about the stones in the gardens,I have always added them,maybe a spot where something got eaten and it was to late to plant anything else,just pop in a stone! I put all of the stones we dig up here under one of my pines,all I have had luck growing under that particular tree is Holly,(which I love dearly),anyway,I love the look,even "Miss I hate Plants" complimented it,I guess being they weren't green and growing she seen beauty in them....lol.. I also love to use downed branches as borders around my beds.
This years project is how to keep the neighborhood kids from using my yard as a thru way,a fence is going up,my yelling has done nothing,...lol...now the little "angels" just sneak through when they think I am not looking,well we will see how they fair today,I know it is evil but I was so mad to find a patch of wildflowers stomped to death by the ..."angels"...so I cleaned my litter box and added some "amendment" to their little path...lol...I do intend on removing it of course,I cant leave it there more than a couple days,but just maybe their parents will finally tell them to stop,maybe pulling out the old rug scrubber and removing some Hayden doo from there carpet will give them the same feeling I have when I find my babies smashed to smithereens!

And Dan I am beside myself imagining the look on that mans face when he sees all your grass is dead...lol..it will be priceless I am sure! :D

I am so glad to be back,I have missed all these fun conversations and it is so wonderful to have friends with the same affliction! You guys are truly the best!

o

Angie:
You are a real devil, protecting your plants like that! I LIKE the way you think. I'm still trying to think of a way to turn our front yard into mostly garden and not wanna-be grass which competes with the crabgrass and other fun weeds for space. More lasagna beds, THAT'S whats needed! Anyone going to second that motion?

Dan:
Is your grass still gasping? The good news is that after I pulled up some of the weeds out front, there isn't much in my front yard. Even the ivy is on the way out! Hooray!

o
RE: Confessions of a Serial Gardener1

Yes Ann they have brought me to this point. I asked nicely,I asked not so nicely,they just don't seem to get it... I was left with no other choice...lol...I really feel the parents are at fault more than the kids,they have heard me ask them and they have done nothing. So we will see soon,they just passed through the yard moments ago,right along their little path...lol..the sun is going down and it should be dark enough they wont see it...lol..if this doesn't work I am going for fresh horse pies! ;)

And yes,I say go for more beds! Who needs grass anyway?:)

o

Angie, if you're really fed up with those "angels", plant some poison ivy in the horse poop. Talk about a memorable double-whammy!!! hehehe
Don't just get evil, get medieval!
Another idea would be to prune your roses, and "accidently" drop those thorny canes in that path. hehehehehe

o

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....I thought of poison ivy,but figured that one would back fire on me,because either I would get it or one of my kids would...lol...but now you mention roses....theres a good idea! Thanks Dan! hee-heee- lets see them limp fast through my yard...lol....

o

glad to help!

and now for a shameless plug..... I'm gonna go ahead and do the "Christmas in June" Round Robin. Check it out in the RR forum.....

o

hmmmm, roses?? ok how about for a shaded area? i have ton;s of tree's my neighbors kids go thru all the time. ticks me off, i'm always yelling at them. stay out of my yard, i even make them get off my yard and walk back onto the street. LOL the one kid was like what??? i said that's what the dang street is for. use it@!! yes, i'm mean at times, but they just irritate the he** out of me!! although on of the kids loves to mow our lawn, i'm sooo serious!! LOL and do any kind of gardening!!
i'm doing/trying to get to doing the sq ft gardening, but getting that hubby's but in gear is another thing altogether another thing!! LOL but then again its not like he works 5 days a week over nights!! LOL and works another job now on the weekends also even though he works his full time job. LOL

o

I thought of trip wires,but than I thought that might be a little cruel...lol...we are putting up a fence,but in the meantime,I would like to start planting out,I am not sacrificing my babies to those "angels",my kids have been trained to look where they are walking around the yard and while in someones elses,they check for green,I tell them "If you dont know for sure its a weed,walk around it",my son will not step on a dandelion,as a matter of fact he has asked me to trade for more...lol...he knows they are weeds but he likes them,so guess what Devin wants in his garden "right up front"? We will be dead heading...lol...
While my son is saving nasty weeds...(much like his mother in many ways...lol..I did keep a poison hemlock around..seen it drop thousands of seeds and changed my mind,I am still getting rid of those)...anyway,I will be waiting to hear screams of terror ,when they wonder what that smell is coming from their carpets,a couple of them did step in it,I checked...lol..hubby shared his dinner with kitty.....so we know how that goes...lol....oh we are too bad! :)

o

Oh, my, my, so wicked! There's not much worse than cat poo, unless it's pig poo. You don't have access to any oinkers do you?

o

LOl....yes you are right about that,but unfortunately no piggies here,:(. Darn! And such a good idea! I wonder if I could trade someone for some...lol... I will be patient,they have no clue who I have on my side here...lol...the little "angels" will go down! ...lol..oh how I love you guys! :)

o

So Dan, any more news on your dying lawn? Has your neighbor complained that you are being cruel to herbaceous plants? The ivy, unfortunately, was picked up by DH and thrown away when I wasn't looking, but the good news is that I have LOTS of seeds that I'm sending out to you tomorrow.

o

you have seeds?? LOL man i never saw seeds for ivy, what kinda ivy is it?? i have the kind that grows on rocks and on the sides of the buildings they are so pretty, every year i try and get it from my moms. this year i think i'm actually gonna be successful!! i put mine in a plastic baggie, and had paper towel at the bottom around the roots, and some are forming roots on another plant, and on that same type of plant i did the baggie method and put stay green soil in the bottom and put the roots in them and left open except for the one area where i have the clothes pin holding it to the basket, i don't know if those are forming roots, but i've been spraying with water, i'll post a pic so you'll have a visual of what i'm talking about, because everytime i put stuff in water it rotts, so i've been lurking in the propogation forum and that's one of the methods i guess someone uses. something like that, LOL
its definately working here!! :'))
yes dan!! tell about the lawn!! :')) we have to hear, especially since i know my hubby won't let me do that to mine, 3 lots of lawn an he wont let me take it out!! my plan, plant OVER it!!! LOL **evil laugh** theres more than one way around that answer of no. a word i cannot stand for!!! HEE HEE at least told to me!! ***onry grinn***

o

my twist on the baggie method.
Photobucket
Photobucket
they look pretty good for being like 2 weeks old!! LOL

o

Medo, No seeds, darlin'...I had pulled up a garbage bag full of ivy and was about to throw it away when Dan said that he wanted it. LOL I don't think I've ever seen ivy seed, but if I do I know where to send it :-)

o

Angie...just be thankful it isn't cows trampling things...in the night.......sigh

about the strangest thing I have ever seen

iris, sedums, daffs...stepped on big time. All will thankfully survive though.

o

ohhh i thought you said you said you had ivy seeds, i was like what?? i never seen seeds. LOL maybe if they were in the sun?? hmmm....i just might do that with the 5 leaf one i have tryna crawl all over my house!!! LOL and see if it does anything!! LOL i'm thinking about putting all of my sweet p's in their different hanging baskets, and hanging them up, just in case we have to move. then its less we have to move. LOL

o

LOL Sue! Unbelievable! Well Hubby told the "angels" they are not to walk through anymore and talked to parents,so hopefully it will not happen again,he is much bigger than me so maybe they will listen to him...lol...oh and the ones that live behind us have a gate that opens in to my yard!..well hubby stacked the firewood in front of it yesterday,so I guess that wont work for them anymore!

medo,did I miss something? Did you say you may have to move? If so good thing you are thinking ahead with your babies! :)

o

if hubs gets the job in ellsworth as a full time cop he's gonna move us there. its 2 positions out of 5 people interviewed. his chances are pretty good. he has to take a paycut of 1.50 but to him its worth it. i guess. LOL good thing that gh never got set up!! LOL then i'd have to take it back down!! LOL

o

Well thats great! :) will he be Officer medo?...lol...I wish him luck!

Yes it is good that gh didn't get set up and filled with plants,you may have had to live separate lives...lol...

What do the kids think about the move? I cant wait to sell this house and move,but we have a few years yet to go! I really was hoping it was going to be this spring,I guess I can be patient a few more years,especially now I have my territory back! :)

o

i'm not sure, on one hand, anxious, on the other hand, i kinda like it here, but then again if it means a country house, i'm all there!! LOL

o

Medo, If you do move I'll send you more seeds to compensate for your loss of current garden! It will be what's planned out for your life - learn to roll with the punches! (Like I'm any good at THAT! LOL)
Hugs
Ann

o

Oh the country would be great! :)

o

i'm not good with rolling with the punches either!! LOL ummm cool ann!! my other enabler!! LOL we still haven't heard anything yet. ahhhh the waiting game!! LOL its so much of a pain!! LOL
grant is listening to a song on the youtube about cuz i got high, LOL its a catchy tune!! LOL its rapp music. man youtube has absolutely everything!! i bookmarked a bunch of stuff for planting and propagating. ;')

o

will he be Officer medo?
LMAO!

but then again if it means a country house, i'm all there!! LOL
Well in that case I hope you get your country home. Every gardener needs at least a few acres....or better yet, 40 acres and let a farmer rent any excess until it is 'needed.'

Sue

o

hello everyone... been fighting a springtime cold, and losing... hope everyone is doing okay. talk to you soon...
-dan

o

"handing Dan a hot toddie"..here you go, this will fix you right up!

o

Dan, The ladies in your fan club want more installments of the SG...please! Hope you're feeling better! Ann

o

Ann, fan club? Now, that's just cool. I'll get another installment done this weekend. Fighting off this stupid cold and training my new sub at work has me just about wiped out every day be the time I get home. (hmmm, is that me whining??? if so, well, "this is my thread and I'll whine if I want to, whine if I want to, you would whine if it happened to you")(the previous to be sung to the tune
"It's My Party by Lesley Gore)
on a more upbeat note, I did manage to spend almost $300 att the local nurseries since yesterday. I'm hoping to do some planting either Sunday or Monday.....

more later ladies!
-dAn, S.G.

o

"handing Dan a box of crackers to go with his whine"...

o

uh, you're supposed to be giving me cheese... I prefer swiss, blue, or colby, thank you!!!

o

picky, picky, picky...."throwing moldy, crumbly, stinky blue cheese at you".....

o
my day off

well, i've been threatening to make a new entry for the past couple of days, so here it is... not exactly a true confession, but i did say at the beginning of this that i didn't know where i'd be going with these.....

hmmmmm... where to start? yes, i did get the chance to get filthy dirty today. i planted a japanese maple and some variegated japanese grass in the front yard this morning, some astilbe in my stone circle, some creeping phlox along the base of the trailer next door, and also put 3 willow trees in the ground too. i'm going to have to move those trees in a few weeks once the back 2/3 of the lawn is completely dead and the round-up has gone away, but for now they're in the same plot as my blackberries and raspberries.

after doing all that, i had to get ready for my lunch date, which turned out extremely well! (innocent look...am i pulling it off???) we went out for chinese, then came back to my place for the rest of the afternoon. (big wolfish grin)

after i took her back home, i "walked my fields" and saw that some of my grapes have started to leaf out, and my raspberries have begun to leaf out also. then i raked leaves for a few hours, took Bump outside and gave him a good brushing (where'd all that hair come from?) and decided that Jason was going to get a trip to the vet to get a haircut. there's no way i'm going to try cutting his hair by myself! that's over 30 pounds of cat, and he's got some pretty sharp claws on his back feet, and isn't afraid to use them! he's left some pretty mean-looking scratches on me, and i'm not going to give him reason to leave more! then i turned the sprinklers on over the parts of the yard where i'd done some planting, and sat out on the porch in my rocking chair discussing matters of state with my parents for about an hour.

after that, i came in, cut my hair, and proceeded to clog the drains with all the dirt i'd gotten on myself while raking all those wet leaves.

oh! almost forgot! when i took the leaves back to the park's compost piles, i found a trunkload of ivy someone had dug up and thrown out! of course, i brought it back to the house, trimmed it up, and it is now soaking in a large cooler by my back steps, waiting to go in the ground.

it sure felt great to get out there in the dirt and work with my plants and get rid of those leaves! the lawn has another week to go before it's completely dead, then i can borrow my dad's tiller and work up the ground.
i figure that part of the yard will pretty much look like a living quilt when i'm done planting flowers, veggies, and perennials out there! (huge grin)

and now i'm going to bed! i didn't realize how full my day has been until i made my report to you! lol!!!

i'll try to not let it be so long again before my next entry, okay? forgive me???

-dan, s g

o

Wow, notice how he mentions he has a lunch date, and skips right over the details...LMAO ! I am so glad to hear you accomplished something in the yard...I hope at some point you will post some pictures.

I think I can hear your grass crying all the way here...

o

DAN!! Get over here and give us DETAILS !! Sheesh .. you'd think he was too busy playin Santa on the RoundRobin side o' things!!! *innocent...completely innocent..really .. grin

Hugs all!
Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

o

Nope! Not gonna give you any details. This isn't THAT kind of forum..... though I do remember in the beginning being shown someone's jugs... and there have been naked ladies mentioned a few times, though I've yet to see any...

Just what kind of details are you wanting? I'm single, 42, and male. I know some lady-friends who like to spend time with me, doing various activities. (grin)

And yes, Wendy, I've been spending a lot of time over on the Round Robins! (grin) Those are way cool to participate in, and a lot of fun to host! Trying to get all you ladies to sit on my lap can be time consuming! hohoho

As for my lawn, it's now a lovely shade of straw brown, having gasped its last breath this past week. My neighbor with the "oh so proper" English garden doesn't even look over here any more, but that's okay. I understand. She's been a bit busy attempting to eradicate the spearmint which has shown up in her yard this year. And I simply have NO idea where that could've come from! (attempting to look innocent here, is it working?) It's just happenstance, truly, that I happen to have spearmint in my yard. There's just no way the birds or wind could've carried some seed across the yard and into her very formal garden. No way at all!
And, did any of you know that mint can grow through pavement? Not only does it continue to spread in my garden, but has begun to burst through my paved driveway! Cool, eh?
Don't you just love invasive plants?
I DO!!!

Tomorrow I'm going out to my parents' house and making a tipsy pot planter for my mother. And, while out there, my dad and I are going to look for a pine tree and a stump for me to bring home. I want to plant the pine tree in my yard and do some minimalistic bonsai with it, and I'd like to turn the stump on its side and use it as a planter/plantstand. Then, of course, I need to plant some corn and see how that does. The days are still a little cool around here, but one of the guys at the office is also a farmer, and he suggested I plant some trial rows this week to see how they do. Fresh sweet corn, just pulled off the stalk. Now, doesn't that just make your mouth water?

And that, my dears, is it for now. I've just noticed the time, and need to be getting ready for a date. And no, there won't be any details about THAT either!!!

HEHEHE HAHAHA HOHOHO HUHUHUHUHUHUUUUUUUUUUU

o

Well.. let's just call you Santa Studly shall we?!?! :P

o

Oh c'mon Dan. You know we're your best advice on EVERYTHING (Big GRIN!!) BTW hope it's a good date and that you get back in time to work on the Round Robin stuff. We wouldn't want you tired out so you can't do what's most important ;-) But serious, I hope you enjoy this lady's company and that the date is a fun one. Cheers, Ann

o

I am glad to hear you don't kiss and tell! :) DH likes to tell anyone that will listen...lol.....I could kill him at times,he will make stuff up to make his poor mother blush! I wont even tell you what he has told her I FORCE him to do...lol...

Sounds like you are making great progress! Glad to hear the grass is on it's way out ! I just realized I haven't spoiled you with seeds yet! :O How can that possibly happen? I noticed you only have white Datura on your want list,I have several types I would love to share if your interested.Maybe there is more that you would like to have? I have some invasives I could tempt you with! Just let me know,if not now, I can catch up to you later! :)

o

Okay kiddies, I think I'm going to wrap up this thread for the time being. Yep, for now, I'm done confessing. It's been getting more and more difficult to find the time to write as I get more involved in other things, like round robins and my garden. But, don't worry! I'll still be lurking around the ol' GW, making comments and stirring things up. And, I'll be back to my story-telling in the fall, to keep you all warm by the fireside as the nights get longer, the days grow colder, and our minds turn to wondering if we'll ever see Summer again. This is not good-bye, oh no! Just a note to say, "see you down by the creek, or in the fields, wielding the hoe or harvester".

So, as we bid adieu to this thread, let me remind you of one thing before I go.....THE LAWN MUST DIE!!!

Take care, and see ya 'round the mulberry bush!!!

-Dan, S.G.

o

...well I guess all good things must come to an end! Have fun doing your thing Dan,and we will look forward to you in the fall....maybe we will all have more time then! :)

o

gee, you make it sound like I'm disappearing or something. I'm not going away, I'll still be here. just won't be any more confessions for awhile, that's all.....

o

lol....I didnt mean to make it sound that way...lol...

o

LMAO! (I can't afford to loose any of my boobs!)

Dan, I have LOTS of empty space, some where there isn't even grass! Sooooo, if you want to come plant, I'll send ya directions!

Also, since your coming from MI, maybe you could stop by my old house and get the rest of the plants I couldn't bring with me!

Vic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here