Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbies???

Posted by kwyet1 z6 CT (kwyet1@hotmail.com) on
Thu, Mar 12, 09 at 19:38

How can someone say they are a 'newbie' just starting out...and when you go to their 'page'...they registered in 2002....that's 7 years!?!
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbies???

How can someone say they are a 'newbie' just starting out...and when you go to their 'page'...they registered in 2002....that's 7 years!?!
I see many members who post here for the first time, yet their join date might be a year or more ago. Often times they are new to the forum...thus a newbie.

I have however seen Newbie Seed Offers with the stipulation being that the new member had been a member for less than 6 months (or something like that) I then see folks who have been members for a lot longer than that period of time reply to the offer. Again...it is a matter of them not reading and comprehending all of the offer.

It would help if they would explain that though they are not new to GW, they are however new to The Seed Exchange.

As we have been discussing a good bit here recently...just ignore it, if the member does not read and follow simple instructions, providing the instructions have been clearly explained.

I have been noticing another problem recently.

a member will start a Seeds for postage offer stating that they will take (for example)the first 4 members that reply. Then newbies keep posting and posting and posting to the thread, keeping it bumped back up on page one, and often the offering member is not even getting the follow-up replies emailed to them. They are clueless that members are still replying to their old thread...sigh.e

At what point should a busy body go in and CLOSE or suggest that the offer is closed so newbies won't keep posting to it?

Sue

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 8:45

For my project, a newbie is what you feel you are. New to growing from seeds, new to winter sowing etc. You actually don't have to be new to seeds at all, but be warned that the seeds I send are mostly basic, easy to grow seeds and the more sophisticated gardener might be disappointed.

It's up to the gardener as far as I am concerned.

o

when i first joined GW i lurked on the home fourms,"quilting" before the gardening. theres so many fourms in GW.
someone could join for other things then want to get into gardening. you could do a search n see were all they post if ya really want to know:)
could be someone new to GW or new to gardening, like bakemom says its up to the gardener:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here