Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bromeliad propagation

Posted by chopperthedog 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 26, 09 at 19:49

Hi all,

Does anyone know the best way to propagate bromeliad plants?

Can you grow from the proms, can the roots be split, or is there another way?

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bromeliad propagation

Hi Chopper,

I am not familiar with them, but you might try doing a search and/or asking over at The Bromeliad Forum

hth.

Sue

o

Bromeliads shoot off pups. they can be divided when the babies are about 2/3 the size of the mother plant. Some grow very fast some not so much.

After they bloom they will die, but that is OK, a lot of them make many babies.

They can also be propageted from seed, but that takes years and years. I started some from seed (just for fun) I plan to give them to my unborn grandchildren when they graduate from college. LOL!

I love love love bromeliads! It is a serious addiction I have.

Sharon

o

Thank you both for responding.

I just got this bromeliad, and it looks really neat (fire red and golden yellow on top). I'd like to produce allot of them, and get others. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it produces pups.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here