Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorisl_gw

Daffodils

dorisl
16 years ago

Do any of you guys let your daffodils produce seeds?

Comments (15)

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

I winter sowed some daffodil seeds that I had received in a trade this year. If I knew where the seed was I would probably save it. Do you know how to find it? I know that planting glad seeds can take 3 years before they bloom.

• dorisl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maybe Ill let a couple go this year, they always get snipped off before they have a chance to seed. Ill let you know!

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

Doris it would be great if you let us know! Like you I snip them when the bloom is done,this year maybe I will let them go and see what happens. I have come to love growing bulbs from seed,I dont care if it takes them years to bloom,that little baby is so worth it! I have Calla Lilies and Candy Lilies,sprouted under lights indoors,they have got to be the cutest thing I ever seen,well except for my kids and Lupine seedlings...lol..!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Well now Doris, You have me all interested. I'd imagine planting daff seeds would likely produce 'interesting' offspring...and who ever met a daff they didn't love?

I was at the Plant Prop Forum and the OP asked about the 'sacks' that formed after the flower faded. Below is a copy of the reply.

the "sack" will eventually contain the seeds. This seed pod must mature & will then dry (turn brown/black) after that point (& not before) let pod sit at 70F for 4 weeks. Then store at 40F for 4 weeks THEN>>>>> lightly cover the seed soil temp 68-71F & takes 14-28 days to germinate. (georgez5il)

Sue...who will be saving lots of seed hopefully

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

Thanks Sue! I will be on the lookout.

• dorisl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great idea to go over there, Sue! They're so good about putting out bulbs I never really thought about the seeds before. I wonder if there's any bugs around to pollinate them this time of year! hee!

• ollierose
    16 years ago

Holy crap! I'm collecting seeds from the millions I've got at home today after work! I think I'm feeling sick - maybe I should go on home! Hehe - I wish!

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

LOl Diana! Folks she isnt kidding,she will be out there seed picking until it gets dark I bet! ;)

• Ann
    16 years ago

Daffs seeds? Oh my gosh! Something I haven't tried to snatch from (LOL) My girls will hate it if they hear I have another flower that I'm "On the lookout for" at seed time. I may have to go walking incognito...LOL

15 years ago

I came across the link below with a few pics of some crossed seeds. Why leave things to chance when one can pick and choose what they might want to try and cross.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: To create new varieties of daffodils

• dorisl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's a kewl link, Sue. OMG, did you see it takes SIX YEARS for a seed to produce a flower. By then you'll forget which ones you crossed! That really blows my mind, who knew it takes that long, I thought three at the most. Wow!

Flower breeders are some patient people.

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

I am assuming the six years is why NONE of us have heard of people collecting the seeds...LOL Ok here is another one...what about crocus ?? I would LOVE to grow more of them...

• dorisl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No kidding, the bulbs mutiply like mad, why bother with the seeds. Flowers are going in the compost bin when they look icky.

:)

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

I think some people just enjoy planting the seeds and watching the fruits of their labor instead of buying bulbs. JMHO

14 years ago

Whoo-Hoo! I didn't do any deliberate daffodil crosses this spring, but did notice a few seed pods on a few different varieties. I picked a green one, just to see if it did indeed have seeds in it and it did! I also found one that was brown and dried, and starting to split open. Today I harvested my first ever daffodil seeds.

Sue

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler