Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodils

Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 08 at 20:23

Do any of you guys let your daffodils produce seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodils

I winter sowed some daffodil seeds that I had received in a trade this year. If I knew where the seed was I would probably save it. Do you know how to find it? I know that planting glad seeds can take 3 years before they bloom.

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 9:49

Maybe Ill let a couple go this year, they always get snipped off before they have a chance to seed. Ill let you know!

o

Doris it would be great if you let us know! Like you I snip them when the bloom is done,this year maybe I will let them go and see what happens. I have come to love growing bulbs from seed,I dont care if it takes them years to bloom,that little baby is so worth it! I have Calla Lilies and Candy Lilies,sprouted under lights indoors,they have got to be the cutest thing I ever seen,well except for my kids and Lupine seedlings...lol..!

o

Well now Doris, You have me all interested. I'd imagine planting daff seeds would likely produce 'interesting' offspring...and who ever met a daff they didn't love?

I was at the Plant Prop Forum and the OP asked about the 'sacks' that formed after the flower faded. Below is a copy of the reply.

the "sack" will eventually contain the seeds. This seed pod must mature & will then dry (turn brown/black) after that point (& not before) let pod sit at 70F for 4 weeks. Then store at 40F for 4 weeks THEN>>>>> lightly cover the seed soil temp 68-71F & takes 14-28 days to germinate. (georgez5il)

Sue...who will be saving lots of seed hopefully

o

Thanks Sue! I will be on the lookout.

o

Thu, Mar 27, 08 at 8:36

Great idea to go over there, Sue! They're so good about putting out bulbs I never really thought about the seeds before. I wonder if there's any bugs around to pollinate them this time of year! hee!

o

Holy crap! I'm collecting seeds from the millions I've got at home today after work! I think I'm feeling sick - maybe I should go on home! Hehe - I wish!

o

LOl Diana! Folks she isnt kidding,she will be out there seed picking until it gets dark I bet! ;)

o

Daffs seeds? Oh my gosh! Something I haven't tried to snatch from (LOL) My girls will hate it if they hear I have another flower that I'm "On the lookout for" at seed time. I may have to go walking incognito...LOL

o
RE: Grab those Q-Tips and start crossing them.

I came across the link below with a few pics of some crossed seeds. Why leave things to chance when one can pick and choose what they might want to try and cross.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: To create new varieties of daffodils

o

Wed, Apr 9, 08 at 11:43

That's a kewl link, Sue. OMG, did you see it takes SIX YEARS for a seed to produce a flower. By then you'll forget which ones you crossed! That really blows my mind, who knew it takes that long, I thought three at the most. Wow!

Flower breeders are some patient people.

o

I am assuming the six years is why NONE of us have heard of people collecting the seeds...LOL Ok here is another one...what about crocus ?? I would LOVE to grow more of them...

o

Wed, Apr 9, 08 at 15:27

No kidding, the bulbs mutiply like mad, why bother with the seeds. Flowers are going in the compost bin when they look icky.

:)

o

I think some people just enjoy planting the seeds and watching the fruits of their labor instead of buying bulbs. JMHO

o

Whoo-Hoo! I didn't do any deliberate daffodil crosses this spring, but did notice a few seed pods on a few different varieties. I picked a green one, just to see if it did indeed have seeds in it and it did! I also found one that was brown and dried, and starting to split open. Today I harvested my first ever daffodil seeds.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here