Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poisondartfrog

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours

poisondartfrog
15 years ago

I would love to see some photos of everyone's spring blossoms!

I took pictures of a few of my daffodils and narcissus last week and although Wordsworth would not find many of the golden variety to wax poetic about, I always forget how pretty they are until I see them again each season.

{{gwi:29582}}

{{gwi:29583}}

{{gwi:29584}}

{{gwi:29585}}

{{gwi:29586}}

{{gwi:29584}}

Comments (12)

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

They look great! Mine are just poking out of the ground. It will be awhile before daffodils for me. I do have my Iris reticulatas blooming.
    {{gwi:29587}}
    Remy

• zubababy
    15 years ago

my daffodils and tulip are still popping out of the ground with very little blooms right now.
    Here's my lawn with crocus tommies - 1st year blooms
    They are fading now, this was a couple of weeks ago.
    {{gwi:29588}}

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

What lovelies!

{{gwi:29589}}
    Rapture, a new early blooming daff

{{gwi:29590}}
    A clump of Ice Follies in the front yard woods

{{gwi:29591}}
    The name escapes me at the moment on these little pretties

{{gwi:29592}}
    Rows of daffs I planted 'temporarily' years ago in the woods. Some hardy bloom at all due to needing divided. Hopefully I will get that done this year after the foliage has dies back.

{{gwi:29593}}
    A daff (tete-a-tete I think) I 'clocked', practicing for exhibiting the first time next Sat. Clocking means having one petal pointing straight up.

Sue

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Remy, I love the blue Iris reticulata!
    Zubababy, it looks like you have a yard full of Crocus. That's great!

Sue, I love my Ice Follies, too. I planted about 20 of them a few years ago and I bet I have at least 300 now and need to divide them again. It never disappoints.
    I am interested in the term "clocked". Is that something you actively look for in a potential show specimen that is naturally occuring or is it a technique that you use to actually manipulate the plant into that position?

Happy weekend!
    Alana

15 years ago

or is it a technique that you use to actually manipulate the plant into that position?
    It is a technique used to do it. When the bloom is freshly cut, one can hold the back of the bloom by the ovary and then twist it gently until there is a petal pointing straight up. The same thing can be done with any twisted stems on blooms. Both count toward points or points off if not manipulated well.

I am going Mon I think to meet up with a local lady who has grown daffs all her life, and who is a big time exhibitor. She has probably won every award imaginable at one time or another and several of them numerous times. She is going to work with me a bit for a test run of prepping blooms for showing and give me some of the ins and outs of things.

• kms4me
    15 years ago

Zone envy here... Just lost the last of my snowcover earlier this week.

Kate

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All except the very latest blooming varieties have already gone by for me. I expect this is not daffodil competition country, but it would be fun to attend a show. Let us know how you do!

15 years ago

I expect this is not daffodil competition country, but it would be fun to attend a show.
    Where are you located? I'm sure there are shows in your zone, but not sure just how close to where you are located.

btw...you can put your location in the one box provided for the garden zone. See I am zone 5/6 S IN. By putting it in the zone box, it will be shown on your Member Page, and will automatically be shown whenever you post. Just click on the Member Pages link found at the bottom of any/every GW page.

Let us know how you do!
    Will do. Hopefully I will get to learn more about prepping to show today. There is also another show April 16th in Indianapolis that I hope and plan to enter.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: 2009 Daffodil Events & Show Calendar

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Beutiful! :)

• medontdo
    15 years ago

I soooo love them!! i want to get different kinds of daffs!! LOL :') they are sooo pretty!!

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link. If I had looked earlier I could have attended a show in Knoxville, which is about 50 minutes away from me. I will be prepared for next year.

Tahiti is one of my favorites:
    {{gwi:29594}}

I can't remember this one at the moment, but it is another one that performs like crazy with little encouragement:
    {{gwi:29595}}

• kms4me
    15 years ago

No bulbs, just two inches of snow to wake up to on April 1st... I gotta stop looking at this thread because you folks are TORTURING ME!

I want crocus! I want daffodills! And I have snow.

Kate

Sponsored