Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

3/23/09 Question of the Week

Do you for the most part garden alone, or do you usually have someone gardening with you?

Do you do some things by yourself but have help, or helpers with other things?

I for the most part, totally garden alone. On a very rare occasion, BF will run the tiller for me, but he usually is not here when it is needing done.

I'm a one woman show when it comes to gardening. I till the veggie garden, plant, harvest and either can/freeze or share whatever I don't use fresh.

When making new beds, I lay them out, amend the soil, plant, Preen (generic,) mulch, and edge it alone.

BF does however like to cut, pile and burn brush after storms when there is a lot of cleaning up to do. Have you ever seen or met a man who didn't like playing with fire? I think they are all a bunch of firebugs.

Sue

Comments (12)

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

I do all of the digging and planting by myself. My DW helps pick some in the vegetable garden and she picks the blueberries and blackberries. She freezes a lot of the vegetables and I do the canning.
    jim_6b

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It sounds like you two are a pretty good team Jim.

Sue

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

I do all the gardening otherwise DH would have everything pruned back to stumps and nothing would ever get a chance to bloom. DH and DS do the mowing and weed wacking. They have also been helping me put in a new pond, so have been doing some of the digging, I however had to bust the sod. They did'nt take me serious until I started digging. I also get to eat all the fruits/veggies of my labor, neither one is big on fruits or veggies.

Regina

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

I'm a loner with my two cats, the crazy crazy cat lady. I have my three kids (oldest graduated from Ohio State this weekend), but otherwise it's just me. Folks try and set me up with guys who love to garden, but I say no. This is my thing and I like to do it alone.

It's amazing how many cases and problems I have solved in my head working in my yard. I can't make it a social thing at all.

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

I take care of my garden alone and prefer it that way. I help my mom with hers as she has problems with her knees.

Like bakemom I also do alot of thinking, planning, praying etc. while I am gardening, especially if I have alot on my mind. It's also so amazing how many creative ideas I come up with while I'm gardening... kinda just go off into my own wonderful little world.

Cindy

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

I do most of my gardening alone, also. DH will carry heavy items if I am patient enough to wait and if I ask. The one chore he does is mowing and is always happy to have me dig up another patch for a flower bed as it is less to mow. I have asked him to prune one shrub but do that very rarely as I still need to do some touch up to it later. He is proud of my gardens and I frequently hear him telling others how nice they are and offering tours. I rarely brag about my gardens as I am very aware of all that needs to be done over or done differently or just done.

There are three little neighbor girls who come over almost every day when they see me outside. They always ask first. They love to "help" and I love the time with them though I'm not sure I can say they are a help..perhaps in a few years.

I think it would be nice to have a partner who is passionate about gardening, but I don't, so I appreciate the interest he does show and mostly garden alone, but not lonely.

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

DH helps with the heavier things and sometimes I'll drag my boys out to dig when I have a flare up. Otherwise, I do things "my way". LoL
    My youngest loves to garden with me. I honestly guess I would have to say that DH does also. I also have a fur-baby that hangs with me. He is the coolest :-)
    The only time I have a hard time getting my oldest boy to help is when I mention weeding. That's ok though, as sometimes I end up one plant short. Don't know how anyone could mistaken my babies for weeds, :-).

It's early, and I haven't had my coffee yet, so I am sure I have repeated myself several times here. Sorry

Have a wonderful day all.
    Carrie

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

I garden both alone and with my DH and children. My two youngest boys have their own garden beds that they get to do what they like with. They ask advice, we discuss plants, flowers, veggies, etc. They have both their flower/plant beds in the front yard and their veggie beds in the back.

In my beds, they help out with planting, weeding, etc. DH helps with the heavy stuff. He jokes that he's directly controlled by my index finger- he goes where I point! Hehe. He does the heavy digging, mowing, weed eating and the boys help him. I do get lots of help in the gardens, but I still do it all my way. I enjoy the company, but I also enjoy the times when it's just me and the plants. I also do all the canning and freezing, though the kids love to help harvest and will help with the preserving too.

And they all definitely help eat all the veggies and fruits!

Kathy

• chrizty
    15 years ago

for the most part i garden alone. i have a lil one who loves to help. she just turned 6yrs. she often slows me down but i dont mind. she makes it more fun to garden.:)
    my teens help in there way. my son carries heavy stuff n mows the lawn. my oldest daughter will let me know what flowers or veg she likes so i can plant lol. she often takes the lil one to play so i can get some real work done. :) and picks from the veg garden.

• SusanC
    15 years ago

Mostly, I garden alone, but my husband is always willing to do heavy digging or pruning for me. He loves to fertilize the garden (alfalfa meal or composted chicken manure) and is also fond of applying Sluggo organic slug/snail bait.

He has a Fuchsia bed that is supposed to be his, but I mostly take care of it. We also have a pond with water plants that are his and he actually does take care of those. He grows orchids indoors, and he is completely on his own when it comes to those.

Otherwise, I do everything else. Something I occasionally remind him of when he declares that we HAVE to HAVE some plant that he spies when we are wandering around a nursery. -LOL

• bigred
    15 years ago

In he yard...alone until I need some hardscaping,heavy items moved or pruning if I can't do it with hand pruners or lopers.I don't do chainsaw...I like how my digits and limbs are attached....*G*

In the big vegetable garden..I help him but he's not allowed in my little backyard veggie garden.That's where I grow the oddball stuff and he doesn't know anything about those.

Peggy

• beverlysc
    15 years ago

I do most of the yard work myself but am very thankful that I have 2 teenagers that help every now and then. Hubby once cut down a patch of amaryllis and has never been allowed to help with the yard work again. But then again..he never knew tomatoes bloomed when we first met years ago. My son likes to pick strawberries and blueberries and helps pick beans and cucumbers and helps collect some seeds. He does a good job at pruning as long as I'm near. Both help out in the kitchen with the canning and freezing until the kitchen gets too hot.
    My daughter loves to pick flowers and make arrangements to take to people. She will do a walkabout in the yard and pick certain flowers blooming and wait until all the ones are in bloom to pick a bunch. We visit nursing homes and the people love the flowers. She also likes to help collect certain seeds. Don't ask her to help with the tiny difficult ones. She eats more strawberries and blueberries than the ones that make it inside the house. She likes the pond plants and helps with them. She helps out planting seeds but don't like transplanting.
    I guess that's pretty good for teenagers these days. Not something they have to do but have grown up in a jungle of a plant world and they do like it. Otherwise...I do most of the work but the whole family is very proud of the yard.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting