Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

plant trading questions...any traders here?

It seems the conv side at the Plant X is not posted to as much as it is here. Anyway...question.

Do you think it would be all right to send some things bare root at this time of the year now until maybe mid to late April? I am in IN and it would be to MI....likely a 1-2-3 day trip if mailed Mon, Tues, or Wed. The item in question particularly is raspberries. I'm thinking I rec some bare root ones early in the fall one year, and they were just fine.

What does anyone think? I was going to recommend it to a trader, but didn't want to steer her wrong. It would be fine for her to send to me, but would it be fine with you?

Sue

Comments (4)

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

I recently received some plant cuttings, a few of them rooted. She wrapped them in wet paper towels, then in that cling wrap stuff then packaged them inside wet paper towel rolls. They got her in wonderful shape and are currently growing happily in a pot until I can get them outside. All the root/cut areas were wrapped really tightly in the cling wrap stuff, I think it helped keep them from drying at all. I'm not sure what to advise, just sharing my experience recently. But I would make sure they mail like on a Monday, that way the package doesn't get caught in a post office over the weekend :)

Kathy

• yelena
    16 years ago

Many people on GW prefer to send plants and cuttings by Priority Mail. But mail-order catalogs don't ship by Priority. They use First Class, Parcel Post or UPS. Bare root dormant raspberries will be OK in a transit for 5-6 days with proper wrapping to prevent roots drying out (as most plants and cuttings). If soil is workable, your trader can plant raspberries right away, if not - heel them or pot them up (more info on Internet how to handle bare root raspberries). Very important - soil should not be saturated with water when planting or digging plants, otherwise soil will be destroyed. Temperature doesn't matter for hardy plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting Rasperries in the Home Garden

• retsec
    16 years ago

I have been sending cuttings and bare root plants all winter by wrapping the root end in damp (not wet) paper towel and then either gladwrap or press and seal. I usually put inside a piece of paper towel roll to keep them from getting mashed or touching the bubble wrap and then put in a bubble envelope. Somethime I just wrap newspaper around them to keep away from the bubble wrap. I send by regular mail, not priority. So far, no problems. I'm not sure how this would work when it is very hot. Most packages have arrived in 2 days but some have gone for as long as a week.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i just got some in the mail and they are fine, regular mail. damp paper towel and a plastic bag, i would however put them in a damp paper towel, plastic around that and shredded paper around that, in a bag, that's what i'v always done. and they've done good!! the shredded paper will act as an insulater now. :')) and in the summer it does the green house effect.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!