Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

helpful hint...

lindaruzicka
15 years ago

I read in a gardening magazine a few days ago a "helpful hint" that I thought I would pass on. It said to use plastic knives as plant markers. The serrated edge pushes easily down into the dirt and permanent marker will last on it. I thought I would give it a try.."busily raiding the picnic supplies for all the knives"....

Comments (8)

• medontdo
    15 years ago

thanks! its gotta be easier than cutting up those darned blinds!!! LOL Hugs Medo Lol

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

easy is good...LOL!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

let us know would ya if the marking fades in the next weeks or so? I would love to know if it really doesn't fade. I'd read on GW that it wouldn't fade on those darn plastic blinds, and well.. it does!! lol Cuz I'm trying to decipher plants this week because of it :(

Thanks!
    Wendy

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

I've found that the sharpie pens fade with the sun here in MA. For the past 3 years I've been using a black deco paint pen for writing and my 3 year old markers still look brand new.

Other thing I've found is that the deco brand writes on any surface without a problem, most of the other permanent paint pens are fabric ones and either dont' write well on plastic or do not stay on the plastic for long.
    The deco also dried quickly as well.

I use the fine point for writing.

For markers themselves I cut up the covers to margarine, cottage cheese, cream cheese, coffee etc. and use those to label all of my containers.
    A new idea with them I tried this year was to also write the name of the seeds on the rim of the cover as well as on the piece of the cover itself.
    Makes for less bending over to read the tag or pull it up from the container to see what it says.

Fran

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Fran,
    you always have the best ideas!

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Yes she does! :)
    The knives are a good idea,I don't know about you,but the spoons and forks always go and I am always stuck with knives. I am going to go through my tote of that sort of stuff and see just how many I may have! Thanks for sharing,:)

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Someone told me when using the knives to place them into the ground at an angle, SOOO when you rake the beds in the spring or fall, the rake will go over them and NOT take them all out !!

ALSO, dont use a leaf blower, or it might get a bit dangerous...LMAO !! (unless ofcourse those kids come back in your yard Angie...tee hee)

On the mini blinds, I was told to use pencil to write on them, and was told that it doesnt wear off, I am going to do a few test ones this summer. I find the mini blind markers come out easily from the garden...

another IDEA for plant markers...you take a stick from the yard, yes, those things we get tired of cleaning up..and you take a knife, and shave off a small stripe of the bark...take a marker, wood burner, etc and write the plant name...free plant marker, and they look SOO cute with a wire of beads wrapped around them...SOO when you have NOTHING to do...you can make some..grin.

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Yay Kym,you are sharing your fantastic ideas again! Those sound adorable and you are right they are in plenty supply for most people and free,free,free...just the way I like it! :)
    I have been using the top half of my kitty litter containers I cut for ws'ing,there is always a nice band of plastic left over and I can get a fair amount of nice sized plant markers from them. My kitty litter comes in a white container and the plastic is just right. Like Fran I cut up just about anything like lids and such,no use throwing them away when they can serve a purpose!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz